Variable Gravity Acceleration.

Apokliptico

Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem that it's driving me nuts.

Okay, to know the velocity change due to gravity acceleration I have this formula: Velocity = Initial Velocity + Gravity acceleration * time.

And to calculate the change in gravity due to distance:
Gravity = Gravity landed * Planet Radius^2 / (D + Planet Radius)^2

Is there any formula that calculates the velocity including the variable Gravity acceleration?

Thanks!
APOKLIPTICO

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Okay, to know the velocity change due to gravity acceleration I have this formula: Velocity = Initial Velocity + Gravity acceleration * time.

Is there any formula that calculates the velocity including the variable Gravity acceleration?

Thanks!
APOKLIPTICO

You'll need to use integration. Time to learn calculus!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Thanks!
APOKLIPTICO

It sounds like you've already got the equation you're looking for, the first one you wrote. Right? Or am I reading this wrong?

If you are trying to calculate ephemeris, you need to break time down into steps, and calculate the new position of the spacecraft based on the velocity from the previous step. Then, using the new position, calculate the new gravity acceleration, and thus the new velocity. This is one way to integrate. There are fancier ways.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It sounds like you've already got the equation you're looking for, the first one you wrote. Right? Or am I reading this wrong?

If you are trying to calculate ephemeris, you need to break time down into steps, and calculate the new position of the spacecraft based on the velocity from the previous step. Then, using the new position, calculate the new gravity acceleration, and thus the new velocity. This is one way to integrate. There are fancier ways.
He wants to calculate the final change in velocity taking into account that gravity changes with altitude.

Apokliptico

Reaction score
No, i'm not trying to calculate ephemeris, and the first formula is not what I need.

Let me explain, I'm trying to find out the formula that DGIV uses to calculate the predicted reentry angle, but for that, I have to know the Vertical Speed and the Ground relative Speed at the moment of hitting the atmosphere. But for that, I need to integrate those two functions.

Can someone do it for me if it's not much trouble? or maybe point me to a good tutorial on numerical integrations? I've been trying but I couldnt...

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, not sure the best way to do it. I would do it by propagating ephemeris until the radius equals the entry radius and then calculate the flight path angle to get the entry angle and vertical speed. To get the ground speed I would calculate the velocity of the surface at the subsatellite point and subtract it from the spacecraft inertial velocity. All of this can be pretty involved, so somebody smarter than me might know a simpler way.

Apokliptico

Reaction score
The thing is that calculating it by simulating, its very resource-demanding. I think the best option is to figure out a function...

Thanks anyway...
APOKLIPTICO

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, somehow Attitude MFD calculates the entry angle very quickly, but I don't know what algorithm its using.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Set the mode to re-entry and it should tell you the entry angle at the altitude of 99 km, I think it is. It also tells you how many seconds until entry interface. Your orbit must already take you below 100 km for it to work. Then you program it for your desired pitch, roll, and yaw angles at entry interface, and when you get close hit the Shift-H key to activate it, so it will rotate you to the correct attitude.

From the Attitude MFD readme:
DISPLAY
The MFD display is divided into four basic sections (again, Target Relative is slightly
modified). The top section contains the name of the current attitude reference, plus any
specialized information for that reference mode; for example, Entry Interface includes the
entry angle and the time to go.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It does? Where? how?

Step 1: Go to http://www.orbithangar.com/
Step 2: In the "Quick Search" bar on the right, type "attitude" (without the quotes) and click the button next to it.
Step 3: Find the most-recent version of the MFD in the list (hint: it's 3.2) and click its name.
Step 4: Click "Download."
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ohh, but it only works on earth... I'm on mars

Oh...I see. Well, I don't know of any other MFD that might do this, Aerobrake might help, but I don't think it gives re-entry angle. I don't know how to code MFDs or I'd have made some by now; this kind of thing is what I usually code my TI-85 calculator to do. Good luck, maybe somebody else here can help.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
No, i'm not trying to calculate ephemeris, and the first formula is not what I need.

Let me explain, I'm trying to find out the formula that DGIV uses to calculate the predicted reentry angle, but for that, I have to know the Vertical Speed and the Ground relative Speed at the moment of hitting the atmosphere. But for that, I need to integrate those two functions.

Can someone do it for me if it's not much trouble? or maybe point me to a good tutorial on numerical integrations? I've been trying but I couldnt...

Here's my approach to finding velocity, and subsequently angle, at entry interface:

You know your orbital velocity now, you know your mass now, you know the mass of the planet, and you know your altitude now. This means you can calculate your total mechanical energy as the sum of your potential and kinetic energy:

U = .5*m*v^2 - G*M*m/r
(v is your orbital velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, m is your (vessel's) mass, r is your distance from the planet's center, the potential energy component is negative, because setting 0 potential energy at infinite distance is convenient, and doesn't change anything anyway)

As long as nothing inconvenient happens (like atmospheric drag, or thrust), your total mechanical energy, U, will remain constant throughout your orbit. Therefore, you can solve for v, like this:

v = (2*(U + G*M*m/r)/m)^.5

and plug in any value for r that you like, such as the radius of what you consider to be the entry interface. Now you know what your velocity will be at the entry interface, but that doesn't tell you the angle. To do that, we need to consider angular momentum. Gravity works radially only (no side to side forces), so therefore, your angular momentum will be constant (unless the aforementioned inconvenient things like thrust and drag happen). Your angular momentum is:

L = r*m*(v^2-vvert^2)^.5
(r, m, and v are the same as before, vvert is your vertical velocity, which you can find on surface MFD)

Now you can solve for vvert (and plug in whatever new value you like for r, and the corresponding value of v, from above):

vvert = (v^2-(L/(r*m))^2)^.5

And since you now have both v and vvert at the entry interface, you can find the angle with some trig:

a = asin(vvert/v)

where asin is the inverse of the sin function. Compensating for the rotation of the planet is left as an excercise for the reader;).

I hope this is understandable.

edit: I've now fixed the mistake I mentioned later. If you haven't seen this message before, notice the plus sign in the angular momentum formula is now a minus sign, and this has been propogated to the vvert formula.

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, Scarecrow, I think I learned something useful, thanks. I'll have to mess with this on paper first and then maybe I can program my calculator...

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One way to get increased speed by the variation of height is performed by the conversion of gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy

V1^2-V2^2= 2.G.Mp (R2-R1)/(R1.R2)

V1=speed1 m/s
V2=speed2 m/s
G=6.67E-11
Mp= Mass Earth (Kg)
R1 ,R2= distance m.
IF R aprox R2 aprox R Earth

V1^2 - V2^2 = 2.g.h
g =9.86m/s2
h=R2-R1

If you want to calculate the angle of reentry​

ANG =Atng(1/Tang(C)+(G.Mp/(sin(C).(R0.V^2-G.Mp))))

ANG= angle reetry
R0= perigee
V=speed reentry= sqr((1-cos(C)).Rr .G.Mp/(R0^2-R0.Rr.cos(c)))
Rr=radius reentry = 80Km + R Earth----->80000+35787000
C=angle tour of radius vector from perigee

Last edited: