Problem VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll errors

SkylabI

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm running a build of Orbiter 100830 with Orbiter Sound 4.0, IMFD 5.5, and the latest snapshot of NASSP, I think 192.

When I open Orbiter I get three error boxes, one of the first and two of the second:

Orbiter Launchpad: orbiter.exe - System Error

The Program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Orbiter Launchpad: orbiter.exe - System Error

The Program can't start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I click "OK" through them and the sim seems to run normally, but I have noticed that IMFD seems to be behaving differently from how the NASSP documentation suggests - a topic I might ask about elsewhere - but I don't know if that's my own learning curve or an issue because of the .dll problems.

I have re-installed Microsoft Visual C++ at the suggestion of Dr. Google but the above problems still persist.

Help?

Thanks!

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
You can search them with Google and download them. Then you have to insert these files in your Orbiter main folder

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Instead of searching for these specific files with Google and inserting them in the Orbiter directory, install VC++ 2015 runtime redistributable package, x86 version (you can also install the x64 version if you have 64-bit OS, but x86 version is required by 32-bit programs and libraries, like in this case, anyway): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52982

SkylabI

Reaction score
Instead of searching for these specific files with Google and inserting them in the Orbiter directory, install VC++ 2015 runtime redistributable package, x86 version (you can also install the x64 version if you have 64-bit OS, but x86 version is required by 32-bit programs and libraries, like in this case, anyway): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52982

So, if I downloaded x64 because I have a 64 bit system, I also need the x86 version as well?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Yes, you need x86 for 32-bit programs using them. The x64 redistributables don't include 32-bit libraries.

SkylabI

Reaction score
Thanks so much! That solved everything and I learned something to boot. I thought an x64 installation covered everything.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can search them with Google and download them. Then you have to insert these files in your Orbiter main folder

Never do this! Always do a proper installation of the redists, as orb said, else you litter you machine with various un-maintained versions of stray .DLL's.

By the way - the VCRUNTIME140.dll comes from the Visual Studio 2015 compiler ... a new name format to the previous MSVCRxxx.dll, but doing the same job (i.e. implementing the C or C++ functions being utilized in the .DLL file, as a result of doing the C++ compile and link).

Last edited:

jackadision

Reaction score
Both the VCRUNTIME140.dll and MSVCP140.dll errors are related to the DLL files, when the dll files gets misplaced or deleted from their actual place then you will receive different types of DLL error messages.

To overcome from all types of DLL error you should follow the below given solution:

1. Recover the deleted DLL file from Recycle bin
2. Use free file recovery software to recover deleted DLL files
3. Scan your computer with antivirus or malware scanner
4. Reinstall the software that uses DLL files
5. Use inbuilt System Restore function to undo current system changes
6. Update drivers for any Hardware

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
What you need is the Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable Files, not just that single DLL. Be sure the download the 32-bit version, named vc_redist.x86.exe, not the 64-bit version. The add-on(s) you installed that require MSVCP140.dll should mention the Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable Files in their readme file(s). If not, then that's a bug in the installation instructions.

Also, as a guideline, you have to be really careful before you download any DLLs directly from a third-party site -- lots of those "missing DLL" sites serve malware in the DLLs, on the download site itself, or both. So it's always better to get the files you need from microsoft.com.