OHM Velcro Rockets v1.11

rcraig42

Reaction score
CVEL Titans has a scenario setting of AUTO LEO 0 to do exactly what you say. IIRC, the autopilots are very similar. You can try to add it and see if it works....

Thanks! I'll give it a shot

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Well that didn't work either, just have to deal with it I guess. Maybe I'll play with the code if I get ambitious.

On another note, does anyone know how the PAYLOAD Scenario line works that he used for inter stage adapters? It has an extra number in the parameters, always uses the name "Int", and appears to reference a config file that doesn't exist. There is no documentation on that format.

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
On the Delta II section, is the 9.5-foot fairing the only shroud type available? Or is it possible to make the composite 10-foot and metallic 10-foot fairings?

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
The Delta II mission packs by BrianJ have meshes for different Delta II fairings.

You could check to see if those are what you want, then turn them into something compatible with Velcro if they are not already.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
That's what you'd have to do. The Delta II for Velcro existed, really, to test and verify that the air-lit SRM's worked properly; I never built it out into a comprehensive do-everything Delta II add-on.

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
The Delta II mission packs by BrianJ have meshes for different Delta II fairings.

You could check to see if those are what you want, then turn them into something compatible with Velcro if they are not already.

Thank you for the answer. I have another question: is it possible to make a Delta II rocket without a third stage? I mean, in place of the third stage, the payload going on top of the second stage.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Velcro or multistage?

Probably yes in either case.

crisbeta

Reaction score
Hello sputnik,

This days a tried to separate meshes of propellant tank from engines. Using Velcro add-on it is possible to make stages with 1, 2 or more engine attached to the propellant tank. The engine where attached as payload. I set to the stage the following properties (MaxMainThrust, MaxAttitudeThrust, MEngineRef1, ...) which are default Orbiter properties. When I start the scenarios everything works perfectly. The problem I have is when I save the scenarios. All the default Orbiter that I put in initial scenarios aren't saved.

It is possible that when I override in scenarios some default Orbiter parameters to be saved?

I have a workaround for this issue to make a config file for every configuration of the propellant tank, but that's not to elegant :)

Thank you very much for this wonderful add-on of which I abused :)

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Crisbeta,

Yes, unfortunately, when you modify a velcro .cfg's properties in the scenario file, that change won't be saved when quicksaving, etc. It wasn't practical, as it would have added a whole LOT of tracking to see which parameters have been changed.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I know sputnik didn't design this addon with the new Beta in mind, but I've found that this addon works reasonably well with it. There are some problems, like for example whenever the HUD is activated in internal view immediately results in a CTD, and whenever boosters and fairings separate they appear a kilometer or so below the vehicle, but all things considered it works fairly well.

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
I have another fairing question: is it possible to make the 8-foot fairing used on Delta II rockets that launched ACE, Palapa B2R, LACE/RME, NEAR Shoemaker and Galaxy 1R2?

Last edited:

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have another fairing question: is it possible to make the 8-foot fairing used on Delta II rockets that launched ACE, Palapa B2R, LACE/RME, NEAR Shoemaker and Galaxy 1R2?

My strongside is C++ programming - but if someone makes the mesh, I'm pretty sure I can implement it after some head banging. :)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Making the mesh isn't that hard, it is texturing,....

But if it exists on a vessel already it isn't too hard to make it into a new mesh

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com

I thought I'd included one, or at least a Titan I fairing that would serve, but I see I didn't.
Well, Alex Hohlov had one that went with the meshes he donated to the project, so let me see what I can do.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2729"]http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2729[/ame]

If it is just a fairing then it is a cylinder split in 2 or 4. One just needs the length and diameters.

I can make a simple one. But if one exists I can removed it and make it a new vessel,...

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Is there a tutorial on how to make new meshes? I don't know how to.

It depends heavily from what tool you plan to use. Currently, Blender is a very known and used Open Source 3D modelling and rendering suite, with some good tutorials teaching how to use it. There's a Python plugin for Blender to import and export from/for Orbiter (I'm using it to measure some meshes using a Mac, and it works!).

I was advised to use Anima8tor and MeshWizard to deal with Orbiter Meshes - but my Windows machine is too old to run them, as it appears - so I didn't test them and can't give an opinion about. (And it's easier to find tutorials for Blender, anyway).

But dealing with meshes is somewhat like programming - you can learn by yourself, but best results are commonly reached by taking lessons from someone.

You will need some background from Computer Graphics to understand what are you doing. I took formal classes for this, implemented my own 3D engine (twice! one of them for an ARM powered mobile before the OpenGL/ES chips were available), so perhaps I'm not the best reference for a novice. But I found this interesting, I hope it helps.

Be advised that you *DON'T NEED* to understand *HOW IT WORKS*, all you need to know is *WHAT* can be done and *HOW* to do it. If math and coding are not your style, run from CG lectures from Computer Science classes.

Meshing is somewhat as sculpturing - but you shape things by using vertices and lines (visual representations of numeric data, to tell you the true), not stone or wood.

Last edited:

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
For the Delta II's solid rocket boosters, I know how to correctly position the boosters in order to fly in the 732x configuration, but every time I position them to what I believe should be the 742x config, the rocket always yaws towards the ground at liftoff. May I have help on this matter?

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
For the Delta II's solid rocket boosters, I know how to correctly position the boosters in order to fly in the 732x configuration, but every time I position them to what I believe should be the 742x config, the rocket always yaws towards the ground at liftoff. May I have help on this matter?

Configure it as a slave from the main engine, use
PRIMEBOOSTER 0
on every booster that is not the main one.