Search Venera Program

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yes. A ballistic re-entry is inaccurate unless a certain distance. The best that I could do is point just before the separation and test various reentry if it is accurate.

What acceleration was in the reentry?

I try this plan:

V_V9Flight.jpg

Another interesting site: http://www.mentallandscape.com/V_Venus.htm

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Yes, that image is the actual landing scheme. After releasing the lander on a ballistic trajectory, the orbiter maneuvers so that it enters orbit on the opposite hemisphere to the Lander. After swinging around the planet it comes into "view" of the lander and relays the data to Earth.

As for actual data (acceleration, distances, engine burns, etc.), I've posted on this thread all the information I had.

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have images of the Venera 9 and 10 (twins) can help give them some color:

19venera.jpg

19ven10big.jpg

19venera13f.jpg

19vvenera13m.jpg

19v10orb.jpg

Launches from the earth with great accuracy because the fuel probe is very limited, only allows mid-course corrections of 30 m/s in total, and after separation of the lander is 250 m/s and 940 m/s for orbital insertion Venus. Arriving at 3% fuel.

I leave to you the scenes of the Venus transfer orbit and lander separation:

Attachments

• 01 Venera.scn
    5.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 02 Venera.scn
    1.9 KB · Views: 5

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I've finaly released the addon ([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4234"]Venera 9[/ame]) ! Let's hope it's not missing any file this time...

rseferino, I've included the scenario files you provided (with proper credit) and I thank you very much for them.

As for the photos, I followed the actual flown hardware and not the replicas. Russian craft are covered in thermal insulation cloth and so they look different from the replicas and models you see on photos. Only the lander didn't have it and so it looks the same (at least to the best of my modeling attempts). Here are my reference photos for Venera:

clipboard01cp.jpg

venerathermalvacuumshie.jpg

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
This addon is much fun, although the cruise stage seems to be underpowered. Now a few ideas of mine:

The lander drops straight down, so how about a terrain mesh that would appear below, like in the lcross and phoenix addons? I can make the textures.
And huge particle streams to simulate the clouds on the way should be possible (not everywhere, just a few hundred meters below the lander as it crosses the cloud layer, so it drops through them)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Hi,

The engine performance is modeled on the data that I and others could gather. It probably is underpowered.

I can add a terrain mesh, but being a ballistic trajectory with the lander released at a great distance to the planet you might miss the intended landing site. Also, you can use Orulex + mesh land to simulate terrain. As for clouds, there's also a plug in to generate it. Nevertheless, thanks for you comments and suggestion, I'll certainly look into them again if I make a Venera 10 (or 11, 12, 13, etc ;)) addon.

What might be nice would be to have the lander placed on an accurate surface mesh, and that as a Venus base on the actual Venera 9 landing site. It would be fun to try to visit it with the Deltaglider, for example. If you feel like doing it, go ahead, I can help you if needed.

McWgogs

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.photoblog.pl
What i meant was that the descending lander would generate a terrain mesh, as a new vessel, anywhere you'd land. Not as a new base. Anyway i have a suitable texture. I can send it to you later.

And the nebo plug in that generates cloud is nowhere near a 30km thick yellow thing you'd find on Venus; can you add some sort of phantom engine on the lander that could generate these particles from 60 to 30km? I'd then mess with the settings to make it look nice.

I'm calibrating the cruise stages' engine parameters to allow for all the course corrections (with IMFD, being less accurate makes bigger course corrections than real life.) and orbit insertion, as i was unable to get that without running out of fuel unless I'm missing something.

Oh and the yaw thrusters still work on both the reentry sphere and later on the lander.

And I'm seriously thinking about painting an artistic vision of the lander on the surface.

edit: here's how the texture looks:
venusvenera.jpg

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
That's a nice surface texture :speakcool: !

You ideas are nice, keep them coming and post them on this thread.

I'd suggest that you do your changes on a copy of a Venera 9 configs, perhaps as Venera 10. That way we can have a "easy" version of the addon (with extra engine power for IMFD) and a supposedly "extremely hard" one, and both can coexist nicely.

Thanks for spoting the working thrusters.

I'm not a big fan of special configs just for one addon, so my personal preference would be not to have any type of spacecraft payload terrain mesh. I'm all for a surface base and perhaps descent situation that would get you onto the right place (with the lander already in the atmosphere).
I don't see any problem in anyone doing it and in integrating it my previous work :).