Search Venera Program

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
A small update:

» I'm adding small thrusters to the orbital module and it looks fine so far. They are located at the far end of the solar panels, so it's nice to see them in action.

» The spacecraft launches and achieves Earth orbit fine, with some fuel left on the rocket stage.
I'm using a generic guidance config for the Proton, so I think It's spending much fuel and that the final orbit would be far from ideal. As it is, I was unable to get an escape trajectory from Earth.
This is something for which I'll need some help latter on, as I'm not that good with navigation and perhaps the fuel amounts and thrust are just fine.

» I've been trying to fix the faceted models. I made some progress and at least know what doesn't work. It seems to be a common problem with the usage of the 3DS format for export. Here are the options I'm using for export in Sketshup and what I get in Anim8or. Now I'll try to export directelly from Anim8or to mesh :) !

3dsexportsettings.jpg

v9cruiserender.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

And here it is the Venera 9 model in Orbiter!

090901230906venera9crui.jpg

I opened the 3DS and simply saved it directly to a Orbiter mesh in anim8or.

Success at last!!! :cheers:

At least now any defects that might be visible are due to my bad modeling and not to messed up exports or conversions.

Last edited:

Thorton

sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Model is good, i hope release will be soon :)

But are you sure about this rectangular things on reentry module? Its very unusual for atmosferic module have parts with sharp edges.
Maybe they should detach before reentry?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes, now I'm happy with it and plan to release it soon. Soon being perhaps weeks, because real life, family, work and other hobbies also require my attention :p. But I'm working on it almost daily.

The rectangular things are radiators. They are there in the cruise phase, but I don't know when they come out. The entry sphere is represented without them after separation, so I'll remove then, thanks for noticing it.

Istochnikov

Costa Rica Space Systems' CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
» The spacecraft launches and achieves Earth orbit fine, with some fuel left on the rocket stage.
I'm using a generic guidance config for the Proton, so I think It's spending much fuel and that the final orbit would be far from ideal. As it is, I was unable to get an escape trajectory from Earth.
This is something for which I'll need some help latter on, as I'm not that good with navigation and perhaps the fuel amounts and thrust are just fine.

Maybe i can help you with this. Try first in a manual mode and take note of the pitching as you go upper and upper. Even with this, it's a little tedious work to make a guidance file.

I'll try to find THE guidance file. Some time ago, i designed a guidance file for launchin' a Proton-M KVRB (thanks Thornton :p) with a 6-ton adapted Soyuz TMA with enough fuel for a translunar injection and lunar orbit injection (the KVRB had a 98% of fuel when it inserted in LEO) :jawdrops:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Here are some screenshots from the different mission phases. I'm happy with the models but now I have to solve the single side problem with Anim8or mesh export. It affects the parachutes and cables, for example.

090907234657venera9crui.jpg

Link to image gallery:
http://img44.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=090908000421venera9land.jpg

Things are moving nicely now!

Last edited:

Istochnikov

Costa Rica Space Systems' CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The single side problem is inherent for all exporting systems in Orbiter, from anim8tor to 3DS Max 2010.
A simple solution could be done with this preocediment:

1. Clone the mesh that has the problem (in this case, the chutes). The mesh had to be cloned in "copy" form (if is cloned in "instance" form, it won't work)
  2. Flip the normals of the cloned mesh.
  3. Select the original mesh and "attach" the cloned mesh to the original, so, the original mesh is merged with the flipped one :p
  4. optimize and remap
  5. ready :p

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Almost there :) I had to simplify some of the texturing, but I'm happy with the overall results!

090913200656venera9crui.jpg

090913201025venera9main.jpg

090913201047venera9main.jpg

090913201336venera9land.jpg

To do:

» fix rcs exhaust direction on the orbiter
» fix the small drogue chute
» get realistic parameters for the orbital insertion - lander separation situation

If there's some interest, I might make available a beta version on this thread for corrections and improvement.

Thorton

sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If there's some interest, I might make available a beta version on this thread for corrections and improvement.

Yes, it would be great to test some beta version

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Looks cool.
How long has it survived on venus?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes, it would be great to test some beta version

Here's a beta version that should work as intended.
http://rapidshare.com/files/280098719/venera9_BETA.zip.html

The orbiter is controllable but the entry sphere and lander have no control, you just press K to perform the successive separations.
To launch you need the Proton launch vehicle by Thorton ;).

What really needs to be checked is if the fuel, engine and mass parameters allow the probe to travel to Venus. My interplanetary flight skils are very basic and limited to a rough usage of Interplanetary MFD that uses up lots of fuel! As it is, the Venus approach and orbital insertion situations will work but are unaccurate (you will land on the other side of the planet).

Have fun :cheers:!

Last edited:

andrew

Reaction score
File Proton_V9.ini in Config\Proton_LV is missing!!!
I have CTD when launch scenary load

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
See my post just before yours:

"To launch you need the Proton launch vehicle by Thorton ;)."

Get it from Orbiter Hangar:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3209"]Proton Launch Vehicle v.1.0[/ame]

:):):):)

Thorton

sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, you really forgot put Proton_V9.ini file in archive.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
My wrong then :p !

My sincere apologies for andrew if my previous post was understood in any negative way :(. I was just trying to make sure that that you had the proton addon. I usually have a hard time figuring out addon dependencies so that's what I check first when a new one doesn't work.

This is what the testing is for: a long and tedious process of getting from something that works on my machine to something that works on others.

So thank you all already, first problem detected and it's an easy fix.

Here's the updated Zip file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/281478823/venera9_090917.zip.html
or
http://www.filedropper.com/venera9090917

Last edited:

The 2-Belo

Capt. Refsmmat
Donator
Reaction score
Oh, and here I was just about to ask whether someone was working on this fascinating program. These missions (and the photos!) have always intrigued me -- I will definitely have a look!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Yes, the scenarios are not accurate. They allow you to land on Venus and enter orbit, but not on the right place. Only the final scenario has the lander at right place and the orbiter on the indicated orbit. If you can help with navigation, it would be appreciated.
Real life allowing, I'll resume work on the add-on. It need some work on the orbiter (adding the engine) and drogue shute.