General Question Venus Space Station

ggrof

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I´m trying to build a manned Space Station on Venus (for atmosferic studies) using "realistic" settings. My original plan was to carry out 4 modules in 2 launches using Quasar 471 from Cape Canaveral. Then, a Dragonfly for assembling the modules and a Fuel tank for Earth return. I´ve wondered to dock some pressurized landers too for (dangerous) manned missions in the Venus Surface. To get the Venus Station, i would use a Delta 4 to launch a Orion CEV.
But I had several problems (of course):

First (the most obvious): How to make the venus orbit insert as the modules have no fuel? I think about using a fregat vessel, but sugestion are welcome
Second: I can´t do a TVI Burn using the upper stage of Quasar. There´s no Delta V enough. I can´t even reach orbit if I don´t use the autopilot and the autopilot is programmed just to send payloads to LEO. Is a wonderful launcher, but i can´t use in its maximum.
Third: How to perform a back to Earth? I´m not certain about the Orion CEV has enough Delta V for that. (I´m not tried this yet).

If you have suggestions, even for changing all of my plan, i will really appreciate.

Thanks!!

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow! Several problems! You can enter in the venusian orbit using an upper stage, like the Maggelan spacecraft. For send the modules to the planet, you can use small modules with the Space Shuttle or another very heavy rocket. And last, to come back to earth you can attach a small module for send the spacecraft back to earth and finally use the SM to some Mid-Course Correctios...
Good luck!

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
Wait, you're going to use the Space Shuttle to launch modules toward Venus?..

Space Shuttle with a kick stage which can push it to Venus, much in the same way Magellan was, with a IUS.

Luke Skywalker

Rebel Alliance Hero
Reaction score
Space Shuttle with a kick stage which can push it to Venus, much in the same way Magellan was, with a IUS.

Oh, i see, so you're pushing a space shuttle out of LEO to Venus using a IUS on steroids? That would be cool to see the space shuttle in LVO (Low Venusian Orbit) :p

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No! I'm talking about send only a space station module for the the Venusian Orbit!

Hartmann

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

First (the most obvious): How to make the venus orbit insert as the modules have no fuel? I think about using a fregat vessel, but sugestion are welcome

If you have suggestions, even for changing all of my plan, i will really appreciate.

Thanks!!

Aerobraking in the venus atmosphere could be interesting because you don´t need fuel, using the atmospheric drag to reduce the speed.

Solar424

Reaction score
Aerobraking in the venus atmosphere could be interesting because you don´t need fuel, using the atmospheric drag to reduce the speed.

And the fact that Venus' atmosphere is 90 times thicker at the surface will make it a lot easier than say, Mars.

ggrof

Reaction score
Hey! This idea of aerobraking is very interesting! The Shuttle with IUS too. But my concern also is do course corrections. I´d like do send the modules with FOI´s Quasar, but i can´t use its upper stage beyond LEO.

A fregat attached in the modules can´t solve most of problems?

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No... The Fregat was created to send small spacecrafts (Mars Express and Venus Express) to another planets. Space Station Modules aren't light as the interplanetary spacecrafts launched with the Fregat, so I think it's almost impossible to send the modules to Venus using the Quasar. Maybe the modules of the Space-Tugs project could solve the problem, but I'm not sure...

ggrof

Reaction score
O Space Tug Tranzit é fantástico. Tenho um pressentimento de que ele irá ser bem útil

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Kulch was a genious from the addons. The URMS and the UCD are amazing!

Last edited:

ggrof

Reaction score
sorry!! lol!!
I said the Tranzit Space Tug is fanastic and i guess it will help me in my objective

Keatah

Reaction score
Oh, i see, so you're pushing a space shuttle out of LEO to Venus using a IUS on steroids? That would be cool to see the space shuttle in LVO (Low Venusian Orbit) :p

yah, when I was a kid in 2nd grade, I wrote short stories about the space shuttle visiting all the 9 planets. I also was hoping for nasa to outfit the cargo bay with a pressurized habitation module. And having the shuttle dock with a super-service-module, perfect for trekking across the solar system.

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ops! Nine planets... Eight Planets... Poor Pluto!

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't believe people keep on ignoring Eris! :dry: