Internet Video Thread

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
360 panorama from a P-51. Check your 4 and 8 o'clock, there is an F22 out there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RFjROsovWs"]Amazing P-51/F-22 Flight - Heritage Flight Museum 360Video - YouTube[/ame]

This might not work well for Firefox users - other should be able to pan around during the video play.

EDIT: I actually can't even get this on Chrome on my home netbook. I was able to scroll around using Chrome on my school desktop. Anybody know the trick for this?

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Here's a throwback to my childhood: G-Force

Last edited:

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
Professor Stephen Hawking's telescope revealed!

July 1, 2015

When my team approached Celestron Telescopes about working with us to create a telescope that would work perfectly for me, we had no idea the possibilities we’d unlock. Join me on this whirlwind journey; it’s only the beginning! - SH

Video
https://video-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=d10a920d2c9d2a710bcf47da42c8e181&oe=55D5CBD5

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=853418634745235

The Computer

Since 1997, my computer-based communication system has been sponsored and provided by Intel® Corporation. A tablet computer mounted on the arm of my wheelchair is powered by my wheelchair batteries, although the tablets internal battery will keep the computer running if necessary.

My main interface to the computer is through a program called EZ Keys, written by Words Plus Inc. This provides a software keyboard on the screen. A cursor automatically scans across this keyboard by row or by column. I can select a character by moving my cheek to stop the cursor. My cheek movement is detected by an infrared switch that is mounted on my spectacles. This switch is my only interface with the computer. EZ Keys includes a word prediction algorithm, so I usually only have to type the first couple of characters before I can select the whole word. When I have built up a sentence, I can send it to my speech synthesizer. I use a separate hardware synthesizer, made by Speech+. It is the best I have heard, although it gives me an accent that has been described variously as Scandinavian, American or Scottish.

Through EZ Keys I can also control the mouse in Windows. This allows me to operate my whole computer. I can check my email using the Eudora email client, surf the internet using Firefox, or write lectures using Notepad. My latest computer from Intel, based on an Intel® Core™ i7 Processor and Intel® Solid-State Drive 520 Series, also contains a webcam which I use with Skype to keep in touch with my friends. I can express a lot through my facial expressions to those who know me well.

I can also give lectures. I write the lecture beforehand and save it on disk. I can then send it to the speech synthesiser a sentence at a time using the Equalizer software written by Words Plus. It works quite well and I can try out the lecture and polish it before I give it.

I keep looking into new assistive technologies, and recently Intel® have sponsored a team of its engineers to design a new facial recognition system aimed at improving my communication speed. They also have some new ideas regarding my software interface and it will be interesting to see the results of this. It looks quite promising. I have also experimented with Brain Controlled Interfaces to communicate with my computer however as yet these don't work as consistently as my cheek operated switch.

Stephen Hawking

Current configuration

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet (2 copies)
Intel® Core™ i7-2620M CPU @ 2.7GHz
Intel® 150Gb Solid-State Drive 520 Series
Windows 7

Speech Synthesizers (3 copies):
Manufacturer - Speech Plus (Incorporated 1988, Mountain View, CA)
Model - CallText 5010

Hawking’s Revolutionary Speech Software is Now Free for Everyone

Stephen Hawking's dream of making his speech software publicly available has come true. Developed by Intel over the past 20 years, the technology allows the renowned physicist to communicate with the world. It is now free to download as open-source code.

The Assistive Context-Aware Toolkit (ACAT) can be hugely beneficial for anyone with motor neuron diseases and other disabilities. The software allows individuals with motor deficiencies to write, talk, create documents and navigate the Web like Hawking does.

The version of the program currently used by Hawking employs a webcam which can interpret facial cues and translate those cues into words. It can also carry out surprisingly accurate application commands online.

Researchers, who always intended to make the software publicly available, encourage developers and engineers to further expand the system with new features.

"Our hope is that, by open sourcing this configurable platform, developers will continue to expand on this system by adding new user interfaces, new sensing modalities, word prediction and many other features," ACAT's project owner, Sai Prasad, wrote on Intel's website.

So far, the software is only available on PC, and can be downloaded here. Detailed user guides and support contacts can be found on a separate website hosted by Intel.

Stephen Hawking was a key contributor to the software's initial design, and future improvements could make ACAT an invaluable communication tool for the human race.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
EDIT: I actually can't even get this on Chrome on my home netbook. I was able to scroll around using Chrome on my school desktop. Anybody know the trick for this?

I first watched it on my phone and didn't get that it was supposed to be panable. So I thought "Shouldn't a 360 degree panorama have more distortion around the edges? And why is this just a view of the seat?" Then I brought my phone up from chest level to eye level and thought "Ah, a view out the front. That's better." Then I returned it to chest level. "Seat again. What kind of video is this?" Then I brought my phone up to eye level again, and realization dawned. Left. Right. "Awesome!"

(If you watch the video on an Android phone, the accelerometer pans the view).

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I first watched it on my phone and didn't get that it was supposed to be panable. So I thought "Shouldn't a 360 degree panorama have more distortion around the edges? And why is this just a view of the seat?" Then I brought my phone up from chest level to eye level and thought "Ah, a view out the front. That's better." Then I returned it to chest level. "Seat again. What kind of video is this?" Then I brought my phone up to eye level again, and realization dawned. Left. Right. "Awesome!"

(If you watch the video on an Android phone, the accelerometer pans the view).

Awesome! Sadly, my netbook does not have an accelerometer. I know this because I have thrown it against the wall in frustration. :compbash:Nothing happens.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Been watching that project for a while now... glad to see it finally take to the air!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Leaving the sun at the speed of light (without relativistic visual effects). Really gives you a sense of the scale of the solar system:

I keep hitting the T key watching this, but nothing happens.:lol:

It's hard to think Pluto is 4+ light hours from the sun. :blink:

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Help me out here - there are no relativistic effects presented in the video, but the observers on a ship making that trip (say 0.95 c) would experience a slower clock. The whole dt' = dt/sqrt(1-(v^2)/(c^2)) thing?

So if an Earth based observer witnesses the ship passing two points in 100s, the ship, if traveling at 0.95 c would see an elapsed time of 100s/(1-(0.95*0.95)) ~ 1025 s? Or do I have it backwards (Earth sees two events 1025 seconds apart, ship time only experiences 100s)?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Their orbits are "close", the bodies might not always be (I think)

Pallas is on an orbit with a much higher inclination then Ceres, so I doubt they would interact with each other at all.

But after hearing talk a long while back of a (impossible) Dawn extended mission to Pallas, I can understand how some observers might've thought it was worth talking about. 4 light-seconds seems really close though...

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
4 light-seconds seems really close though...
And that's only when all the bodies are lined up perfectly (like in the video - which I tolerate as artistic license.)
The video is remarkable anyhow!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Evil pun...

:rofl:

For the Translation: A beginning moderator of a E-Sports web TV channel (Rocketbeans TV) is sent unprepared to interview a world champion in CoD, prepared for the interview with a Wikipedia article, to get some coarse background. She has no idea about who this Christian Chmiel is... and absolutely no idea about football. Actually it was André Schürrle, German national football player and world champion in that sport.

Even though the true identity was quickly found, it stayed a pretty entertaining interview, as she tried to get through the interview half-way professionally with her production team having fun.

E

ex-orbinaut

Now THAT'S the spirit...

[ame="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=02d_1442429274"]LiveLeak.com - Pakistani Homemade Helicopter.[/ame]

Even gives the famous thumbs up, lol! :thumbup:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
[ame="http://vimeo.com/139407849"]To Scale: The Solar System on Vimeo[/ame]