Internet Video Thread

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
Been a while. 160831 brought me back. :D Thought I'd share this recent experience.

I recently helped a flying club recreate their small airport in FSX and Prepar3D. The club owns a Redbird FMX 3-axis motion simulator (running P3D). Here's a video of me flying the Redbird and testing the scenery I made for the club. The aircraft used in the sim is a Cessna C182

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHgGQZDoz-w"]redbird1 - YouTube[/ame]

Wish one day we can have such things for the DeltaGlider or XR2! :D

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Awesome film on the progress of Project Mercury, showing design, building, flight testing, and astronaut training. Lots of great stuff here:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x73-573aWfs"]The Space Between Us | Official Trailer | In Theaters December 16, 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Most of you have seen part of this somewhere... :lol:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, this turned out to be surprisingly ingenious...
Sounds like the republican lobbyists insisted that since people refuse to die now we must create a proper virtual hell and heavens for them.
Naturally, the hell got much more attention.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I ran across this video, but I don't understand what's going on. I mean, yeah, they're creating a short between two conductors, and seem to be creating a brief short to ground as well, but how are they doing it without getting killed? I'd think that whatever they're doing, it would result in a short to ground through them, and that would be the end of it.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Guessing its some remotely triggered catapult device? You just need to trail a conductor behind a weight.

Assume this is just vandalism?

N.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
They are using a nylon (? fishing line-kind of nonconductive stuff) wire tossed over the line to raise a metal one tied to it's end from the ground.
As far as i can tell, the initial ground fault created a plasma cloud which weakened the air above enough to cause a short between the two lines (phase to phase, perhaps? This should have been easy to detect and cut off, and that might be the "protection circuit" they mentioned that failed).

It's similar to how putting a lit match between two high voltage wires of the old TV transformer that are just far enough apart to not arc normally would cause an arc to form.

And yes, that's how bored farm kids entertain themselves in Russia. :(

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The slightest contamination of the line is enough to start the ionization at these voltages. You can see how the arc runs down the line until it veers of to the ground when it gets close enough. Those guys are lucky to be breathing. Grade 1 Darwin award material.