View Acceleration

YesRushGen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been with Orbiter since 2001-2005 and am getting back into the hobby. The new 2016 version is nothing short of amazing compared to the earlier versions.

In earlier versions of Orbiter, the vessel's current acceleration was displayed in the upper left of the HUD along with the engine thrust level indicator. Current versions seem to show the engine's thrust instead.

My Question: How or where can I see the acceleration that is currently being imparted?

Thanks!

Kelly

YesRushGen

Reaction score
Surface MFD would be an option.

I thought of that, but that's only giving me radial and tangential components, right?

It total acceleration is unavailable anywhere, then how are folks doing precise braking maneuvers these days? "Back in the day" one of the methods we used involved monitoring the "distance remaining" and "current relative velocity." By using the simple v^2 = 2*a*x formula, we'd calculate the required acceleration so that we "stopped" right at the target.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I have the same opinion for the same reason. I wish the feature was reintroduced.

YesRushGen

Reaction score
I have the same opinion for the same reason. I wish the feature was reintroduced.

Thanks Enjo, at least I'm not the only one! It seems a simple calculation to make: accel = (vessel thrust) / (current vessel mass)

I wonder if Martin would consider either changing it back (does anyone actually use the displayed force for anything???) Do you know if anyone has tried as a feature request?

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
I remember that I complained about it when Orbiter 2016 was in development, but didn't make an official request. Maybe you'd do it and I'd upvote it?

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
It appears so. See? You already got 3 upvotes :)
One is mine, second is yours, and the third is of somebody else :lol:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Hi all,
My Question: How or where can I see the acceleration that is currently being imparted?

Here, no ?

732614Sanstitre1.jpg

Oh sorry... I am... :facepalm:

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Hi all,
In earlier versions of Orbiter, the vessel's current acceleration was displayed in the upper left of the HUD along with the engine thrust level indicator. Current versions seem to show the engine's thrust instead.

There used to be "LOAD MFD" that let you monitor g-force like that but it isn't available on O-H anymore and doesn't work in Orbiter 2016.

Surface MFD would be an option.

But Surface MFD doesn't necessarily tell you if your acceleration differs from a ballistic trajectory, such as during an engine firing.

It total acceleration is unavailable anywhere, then how are folks doing precise braking maneuvers these days? "Back in the day" one of the methods we used involved monitoring the "distance remaining" and "current relative velocity." By using the simple v^2 = 2*a*x formula, we'd calculate the required acceleration so that we "stopped" right at the target.

Relevant MFDs such as Burntime MFD etc. know what your engine acceleration is going to be, even if it isn't displayed on the HUD. They also know what to do with the information. "These days", the math that you just described is being automated. That's all.

Actually, I think Burntime MFD displays the expected acceleration if you still want to do things by hand.