VIRUS ATTACKED!

zeldafan156

Reaction score
i have been attacked by a virus that has taken away my background, administration privileges, and puts crazy amounts of spam on my pc(vista)

(i wrote this on my dads laptop)

i can only use my pc on safe mode and i cant restore because im not the administrator anymore! i don't want to get a new hard drive or anything someone please help me!:beathead:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Have you tried running a virus scan ? it could help

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
In safe mode you should because it does not activate any malware or etc. It only runs basic drivers that allow you to repair your computer. When did you recently obtain the viruses/adware?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
What protection programs do you have? Also, what is you OS?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I think you have a rootkit by the way. Install HijackThis and try that out to see if you really do have one. Anyway, your OS is like Vista, XP, and Windows 7.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Well, thinking now I don't think it will work in safe mode, but you can run a full system scan with malwarebytes to see if that can at least let you run in regular mode. Sometimes you have to right-click and run as administrator on vista so that might be able to solve some problems.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In safe mode you should because it does not activate any malware or etc. It only runs basic drivers that allow you to repair your computer.
Not quite right. Lot's of malware attaches themselves to system components and thus, are also loaded even in safe mode.

Also, what is you OS?
[...]puts crazy amounts of spam on my pc(vista)[...]

i don't want to get a new hard drive
No infection will damage your HDD, so actually replacing it because of an infestation is a waste of money.

You could try to restore your system, but I think the best option is to simply reinstall Vista. If you don't know how, I believe you know someone who does. Just backup your files before anything, but be careful with pen drives as they are common infection vectors. Use CDs or DVDs instead. The best, best option would be to use a Linux LiveCD for the backup operation, as Linux is not affected by Windows malware.

Or just forget about malware and use Linux instead :p.

Last edited:

zeldafan156

Reaction score
i googled rootkit and someone said something about avast home adition, do you know if this is good or what is your opinion on this?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
The problem is I sometimes have problems like this, but I already have HijackThis so I can remove all those little extra stuff. As much as he doesn't want to get a new hard drive which I think he doesn't want to lose his data, but I would recommend re installation and then get all the security programs that will help you out. (Spybot, HT, F-secure, Malwarebytes, and etc). If anything, make sure that you back up all your files or at least the ones that you really need and just boot the system with your Vista OS installation CD and go from there.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
i googled rootkit and someone said something about avast home adition, do you know if this is good or what is your opinion on this?
I personally don't think Avast is that great, but it will do. Use HijackThis or F-secure for rootkit removals.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

oh and HOW DO I BECOME ADMINISTRATOR AGAIN?!
Go to safe mode and go to the control panel and etc. Just calm down and take it step by step.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
First and foremost: you can never actually be sure your PC is clean. Second: Avast is just another free antivirus, like Avira Antivir and AVG. You won't be able to install any antivirus as the administrator account is blocked and without it, you're basically helpless.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Crap, forget everything and just STOP WRITING IN ALL CAPS.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Please quit typing with caps because it sounds like you are trying to be aggravated and rude. We are just trying to help. Make sure you read what we typed for you.