General Question VOR/VTOL alignment?

yankeeman1028

Reaction score
yes i already searched this and am trying to provide every detail you need to help.

im attempting a flight to the moon in a delta glider. i got from kennedy space center to within 500 km of Brighton Beach, at an orbit with 96 km of altitude . I turned on the VOR/VTOL mfd and i saw the yellow line (my velocity) and the green line (base direction. they were not aligned. i tried all the different attitude buttons and fired the main engines. the lines didnt get closer together. i also tried rotating and moving in a line with the linear mode of the rcs. none of that helped. how do i align the two lines/

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
Try to use the BaseSync function of IMFD, or try it manually with MapMFD, so your orbit intersects the target base. To use the VTOL MFD successfully you need to be really close and slow. But I prefere visual landings at all. :)

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I turned on the VOR/VTOL mfd and i saw the yellow line (my velocity) and the green line (base direction. they were not aligned. ... how do i align the two lines/

I actually just published a tutorial yesterday that covers all of this in great detail.

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5268"]http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5268[/ame]

Refer to pages 22 ... and then 32. (The tutorial assumes that you have no additional Orbiter add-ons.)

Richy's suggestion of using BaseSync MFD is a good idea also. It's one of the more essential MFD add-ons in my experience.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
note also:

doing it before orbit insertion, or at high altitude reduces fuel consumption, makes it easier to do and gives more time to prepare and plan (like driving into a roundabout at 10mph instead of 30, you get more time to look for other traffic and decide if you can carry on without causing a pile-up)

good luck man! and welcome to the forum :)

yankeeman1028

Reaction score
thanks

thanks very much everyone for the help!! ill check out both the tutorial and BaseSync.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you use IMFD to get the to moon, it is beyond easy to do what Grover suggested and align your orbit over the base. You can even tell it how many orbits until you fly over the base, so you can set it 2 if you want to do some sight seeing before you land.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You need a lot of DV to change direction if you're at orbital speeds, even in lunar orbit. You can bank to 90º and use the hover engines to align the trajectory.