Project VulcanCentaur

CurlSnout

Reaction score
Where do I download the Alpaca ?

I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but I think the ALPACA is/was (?) a work-in-progress. I creeped my way through this thread and collected the bits as I went - once again the happy beneficiary of others' (gattispilot, Gargantua2024, francisdrake et al.) talent and generosity:

ALPACA.jpg

Hi-Ho,

cs

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Add-on developer and tester
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but I think the Alpaca is/was (?) a work-in-progress.
IDK but the progress for the ALPACA lander is stalled as NASA has chosen Starship as the Artemis lander.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
The Dynetics Alpace was a project by Gattispilot and friends. For this test I used the Dynetics 102620 development version (attached). But this was only to see, if a Vulcan Centaur could lift a fueled Alpaca lander to Trans Lunar Injection. No, it can't.
The attached test version has drop tanks and landing legs sticking out of the payload fairing.

Attachments

• Dynetics 102620.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 4

CurlSnout

Reaction score
Further adventures with the Vulcan Centaur - this time lifting a modified (recoverable?) S-IVB stage. This was a test-of-concept; the S-IVB is not in scale withe the VC. But, this way, it fits nicely on top and snug inside standard fairings.

VC_S-IVB_01.jpg

VC_S-IVB_02.jpg

VC_S-IVB_03.jpg

VC_S-IVB_04.jpg

VC_S-IVB_05.jpg

VC_S-IVB_06.jpg

Peace,

cs

Sbb1413

Add-on developer and tester
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Further adventures with the Vulcan Centaur - this time lifting a modified (recoverable?) S-IVB stage. This was a test-of-concept; the S-IVB is not in scale withe the VC. But, this way, it fits nicely on top and snug inside standard fairings.

View attachment 27983

View attachment 27984

View attachment 27985

View attachment 27986

View attachment 27987

View attachment 27988

Peace,

cs
Speaking of a recoverable stage, there is (was?) a proposal by the ULA to replace the Centaur stage of Vulcan with the Advanced Cryogenic Evolved Stage (ACES) in this decade, which is recoverable.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
was, and I strongly doubt it was recoverable, being by definition an upper stage that sends stuff on high Earth Orbit or escape trajectories...

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
The new design concept of the crew version of the Dream Chaser omits the cockpit windows in favor of HUD screens like Crew Dragon has. This could mean on the outside, both crew and cargo Dream Chaser planes would look identically the same especially if Shooting Star modules are attached. No concept art though on what the crew version would look like while attached on the Vulcan during launch:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Thanks for this interesting news!
It sounds reasonable, as the cargo version would anyhow land automatically.
It might scratch a little on the pilots ego, as they will only be passengers,
but given modern day automation this sounds very feasible.

And Sierra can focus on one vessel layout only. This should make human rating easier, as the same vessel type will have flown several times, before a crewed mission will be planned.