Question What are you reading?

Melvin

Reaction score
I just started "The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I decided to dust off my uncle's 20 year old copies of the entire Legend of Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore, currently on book 3.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Started Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.

Started in on Contact by Carl Sagan, but will likely get sidetracked by Snow Crash and a couple of Rouge Squadron novels I picked up today.
Great plot...wrapped in a rant against televangelists. :lol:

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Firebird by Jack McDevitt is out :), love the Alex Benedict novels.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I can very much recommend Arthur Clarke and Stephen Baxter A Time Odyssey trilogy:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Time_Odyssey"]A Time Odyssey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

bujin

Reaction score
I have just finished reading The Zombie Survival Guide, and I've now moved on to World War Z. Why did no-one tell me about these books before? :D

Krikkit

Reaction score
Started Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams.

You wont be disappointed. I make it a point to read that or listen to the audiobook at least once a year.

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
I decided to dust off my uncle's 20 year old copies of the entire Legend of Drizzt series by R.A. Salvatore, currently on book 3.

Awesome! Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy about Drizzt Do'Urdan's upbringing remains one of my favorite fantasy series even today, some 20 or so years after I first read them.

Originally Posted by Samuel Edwards

q.gif
I was reading some of Julius Caesar's Writings on the Gallic Wars.

A fascinating read. Translated a good chunk of the Gallic Wars as a senior project in Latin in college. A rather unique perspective of late Iron Age continental Celtic culture ... prior to Caesar effectively ending their autonomy. Just remember, the Celts were a traditional blood-enemy of the Romans. Recall all those early Republic era battles against Samnites and other such trans-Appenine tribes (and especially the cis-Alpine Gauls in the north of Italy) , and how the early Roman seemed totally horrified of them? Well, those were Celtic tribes, and the Romans never quite managed to understand these "barbarian" neighbors. So when Caesar forced the Celts to the ropes, it was the culmination of some 500 years of mutual aggression against what was, in essence, the boogie-men of your average Roman's nightmares!​

Currently reading: "Foundation and Earth", book 5 of Asimov's Foundation series. (Has anybody read the Second Foundation series by Binford, Bear, and <can't recall the 3rd right now>? Local used bookshop has all 3 books, but I'm a bit leary of an addendum to the Foundation story not penned by Asimov.)​

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
While recommending things:

- Neil Stephenson: Snow Crash
- Stephen King: The Dark Tower (7+ Books)
- Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time (14+ Books)
- Tad Williams: Otherland (3 Books)
- Isaac Asmimov: Foundation Saga (7 Books)

Just 5 in my mind.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
- Isaac Asmimov: Foundation Saga (7 Books)

Read that series. Yet to start on Stephen King though, is he really good, comparable to Asimov ?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Steven King is a very different kind of writing. His Dark Tower series will always be one of my favorites. The unabridged version of "The Stand" is worth the read also.
"Misery" I read in one setting, I had to take a break in the middle of "It".
As to compare him with Asimov though, it's like apples v. oranges. Both are very good, it just depends on what you are in the mood to digest...

Currently reading "Decatur's Bold and Daring Raid" by Mark Lardas. Regarding the 1804 raid into Tripoli harbor to burn the captured USS Philadelphia.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Just finished Orphaned Worlds by Michael Cobley. Seems its the middle of a trilogy, so I'll be looking for the first!

Quite good, sort of Ian M. Banks with Hobbits. Lots of sub-plots and thick.

N.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Once attempted to read Misery, but couldn't finish. I think Mr. King is a very specific taste - personally I can't anything longer than a short story by him, but some people I know find his novels much better. I liked 'The Mist' until I saw the film. YMMV(significantly.) :)

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It is rather good. And is very long.

I just always found that people like to read his commentary on the Civil War. That has some great images when he is trapped in Greece. But the Gaulic war has some great speeches by Caesar, which of course I must add are best read in the original Latin. Nothing like pages upon pages of Indirect Statement because Caesar liked to write in the third person.

But very well written Latin, some classic use of rhetoric, but I just did so much work on it for the degree, that I have not touched it much since.

You want a good fun read, read De Signis by Cicero. Some classic character assasination. Not as good as the Phillipics, but since it is a work for a law trial, it stands on its own.

Polaris

Reaction score
"Fooled by Randomness", "March of Folly", and "King Leopold's Ghost"- as audio books. And more Game Informer back issues.

Last edited:

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
As for the Dark Tower series, it's not really like any of the other books King wrote (although there are some books that relate to his Dark Tower Books). King is mostly known for horror stories but Dark Tower is more of a fantasy/sci-fi series. For me this is by far his best work (so he says himself). It took him two decades to write these books, he calls them his "Jupiter".

Definitely one of the best book series (if not the best) I have ever read.