Question What are you reading?

Nazban

Reaction score
Right now i'm reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer, recently read The Stranger by Albert Camus. Also im planning on reading the full Song of Fire and Ice series(Game of Thrones is it's tv show adaptation of the books)

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I just finished Past Sins, a really really really long MLP: FiM fanfic that my friend insisted I read. Now I'm thinking of reading The God Delusion, The Book of Mormon, or something on science or mountaineering/climbing.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
I'm reading this thread. :)

I wonder if this comment has been posted yet...

Also, one of the more recent books I've been reading is Witness To Witchcraft. By the way, Harry B. Wright is my great-grandmother's brother.

Last edited:

Tycho

Reaction score
Right now i'm reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer...

I read "Into the Wild" a year or two ago and really enjoyed it. The main character's appreciation of transcendentalist philosophy and longing for a sort of Thoreauvian solitude is rather intriguing, given the contemporary nature of the book's events (early 90's, I think). Krakauer is certainly one of the best non-fiction authors I've read. He was a journalist if memory serves me, and has written a few other books, including "Into the Wild", all of which are worth reading. :thumbup:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
The Player of Games - Ian M. Banks

A great author, he writes books like no one else I have found (He has some unique concepts).

I've tried to read the Culture series. What can I say, it's great literature, but I'm absolutely incapable of suspending disbelief and enjoying soft sci-fi.

Currently reading Permutation City by Greg Egan.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I read "Into the Wild" a year or two ago and really enjoyed it. The main character's appreciation of transcendentalist philosophy and longing for a sort of Thoreauvian solitude is rather intriguing, given the contemporary nature of the book's events (early 90's, I think). Krakauer is certainly one of the best non-fiction authors I've read. He was a journalist if memory serves me, and has written a few other books, including "Into the Wild", all of which are worth reading. :thumbup:

To be honest, I'm finding the book fairly hard to read. Not so much the style of writing or the print or the like, but the content is not engaging me as it normally would. I think I'm at odds with "Alex" and his seeming lack of direction, not to mention the unrealistic ideals which he holds himself to, particularly in light of Krakauer's confession that not even Thoreau himself lived up to the regard that Alex holds him in. To me, it seems like he threw his life away for very little good reason.

But then, that's just me. :)

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

...but I'm absolutely incapable of suspending disbelief and enjoying soft sci-fi.

I run into this a lot, too. The only sci-fi I can get into, and I mean really enjoy, is hard sci-fi. I've found a lot of Ben Bova's works to be nice reads in that light.

Ark

Reaction score
Finished Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds a few days ago, and already started on Absolution Gap.

Nazban

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm finding the book fairly hard to read. Not so much the style of writing or the print or the like, but the content is not engaging me as it normally would. I think I'm at odds with "Alex" and his seeming lack of direction, not to mention the unrealistic ideals which he holds himself to, particularly in light of Krakauer's confession that not even Thoreau himself lived up to the regard that Alex holds him in. To me, it seems like he threw his life away for very little good reason.

But then, that's just me. :)

We had a debate in our class on that same issue, turned out that the class was 50/50 on the fact that did Alex live a good life or did he throw it all away.
I believe that Alex(Chris) found happiness in the Wild. His last message before his death reinforces that fact. I like the way that Krakauer showed Alex's life and emotion's and although he can never show Alex's story perfectly, he did a pretty good job of it. A great book to read!

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Rereading my old copy of Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson. A great novel about an RAF fighter squadron from the start of WW2 to the Battle of Britain. One of the best. If you haven't seen the miniseries, I highly recommend it.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
"Winds of War" By Herman Wouk along with "The Unlikely Spy" by Daniel Silva.
Which I'm reading depends on location (WoW at home, Spy during lunch at work).

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
On sunday I picked up a copy of The God Delusion at the library. I'm only in chapter two, and I find it to be very interesting and enlightening. It's definitely changing my view of the world and the universe.

Anyone else read that or anything by Dawkins?

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
For my class, Im reading Lord Of the Flies.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I went on a Hitchens kick and started reading Hitch-22...I'll look around and find 'God is not great' and a few others...

Ark

Reaction score
Making another pass through Through Struggle, The Stars.

This may be my favorite diamond-hard military sci-fi of all time.