Question What are your favourite pictures and why? (space related)

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh, so you can't just stop at Titan, eh? :cheers:
:) Nope! I think I'll go make an Enceladus texture now. I need a break from making the Heisenberg. I've been modeling, meshing and coding for the past 12 hours.

BREAK NEED NOW.

Tycho6

Reaction score
Venturing outside our solar system, here are two amazing images.

This is a Chandra X-ray image of a gas cloud illuminated by energy from a pulsar. The resemblance to a human hand, albeit a three-fingered cartoon character's hand, is uncanny. I dread to think what the 'face on Mars' crowd think of this. Or the folks prone to seeing the face of Jesus everywhere.

Here is a composite image of a jet from the lower left galaxy hitting the galaxy to its upper right, then spraying off into space. The two are estimated to be 20 kly apart. I wonder if the target galaxy is home to any sentient species, and if they were in the way...
Composite image, with purple from Chandra again, red in the UV from Hubble, yellow in the visible band from Hubble, and blue from the Merlin and VLA radio telescopes.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
All in favour of viscous reentry of IgnoreThisBarrel say Aye!

Darren
Wait... is it a picture of the far side of the Moon by :probe:?

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

And yes it is!
imgres

It was a bit hard for me to tell because of the fuzziness of the image. I couldn't tell whether it was the sun moon, Probe, or a piece of circular paper.

Also, not to be spelling obsessive, but don't you mean vicious?

A viscous reentry would be kind of funny :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Reentry on Titan would be pretty viscous. :lol:

I recognise most of the lunar topography (Tsiolkovsky is prominent in that image), so that was an easy one (I also know my Probism :lol:)