General Question What do the parameters in base.cfg files mean?

Javiatrix

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to create a rudimentary base, but the formats in the .cfg files are quite unintuitive to me - can anybody help?

Specifically, what does the 'size' of the base mean? Surely the base is defined by an infinitesimally small point with structures defined via that point?

With runways, what are the three numbers following 'END1' and 'END2'? Width is self explanatory, but what is NRWSEG and RWTEX, for example?

I've tried trial and error by copying and pasting an existing bases config file, but when trying to edit it, I end up with a base not centred where the coordinates are that I want, with an enormous amount of empty space between buildings etc. Sometimes the runway is ten miles away somewhere!

Can anyone offer some guidance on this please?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
All of your questions are answered in the OrbiterConfig.pdf document.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It was written pre-Orbiter 2016, but here's something to start with [ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4169"]Base Construction[/ame]

Marijn

Reaction score
A base cfg file consist of a header and a list with objects. In the header, the Location parameter describes the lon and lat of a main central point for the base. All other positions of objects are set relative to this point. I tend to use the tower as the central location for a new base.

Read up on the Size parameter in the manual. It has something to do with the distance buildings are being rendered. Experiment with 500 and 1000. In general, copy an existing base like Habana as a starting point and don't change any param you don't understand yet.

END1 and END2 are the endpoints of the center line of the runway on the far ends of the runway. The numbers following are the coordinates in 3D space in meters relative to the base Location.

END1 -1150 0 -2880
END2 -5600 0 -5435

This means the first endpoint is positioned 1150 meters NORTH, 0 meters HIGH and 2880 meters WEST of the main base location. So positive numbers refer to EAST and SOUTH respectively. Have a look:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TFgdNJIbhfpx6FOkGpQ3TpsxdxBVIRn0

Idem for END2.

The angle between END1 and END2 is the runway direction. Note that END2-END1 is also a valid runway direction. A runway in the cfg file always results in two runways which can be selected in Orbiter. I am not sure, but I think the order of END1 and END2 should be set in such a way, that the first of the two runways is the runway with a direction between 270 and 90 on the compass. That's how I do it and keep them consistent.

NRWSEG is the amount of segments. A segment is an unique part of the runway. This is for the texturing. The numbers refer to the coordinates in the texture map. The runoff-area could be a segment. The runway number could be a segment. And the main part with just a stripe in the middle could be a repeating segment. Note that Cape Canaveral is a special case and doesn't use runway segments. Have a look at Habana and the texture of Habana. You'll figure it out.

Javiatrix

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys, especially Marijn, that's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks for taking the time to write all that out :thumbup:

And cheers for the pointer Dave - I've not ever come across or noticed that file before so I'll check it out.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever produced an Orbiter 'super guide'? I've been using it on and off for over 7 years and I'm still learning and figuring stuff out, David Courtney's videos have been especially useful in that time.

Thanks again and fly safe :)

Marijn

Reaction score
Be aware that runways need to be flat. And Orbiter 2016's terrain is not flat. You have to flatten it yourself. And that is, unfortunately, a bit complicated. So far, my attempts to flatten runways failed because I couldn't set up the required tool.

Javiatrix

Reaction score
Hi Marijn,

Although, presumably you could set one end of the runway on a gentle slope, and have the runway pointing in the downhill direction so it's partially floating?

Not realistic, I know, but this is just a means to an end so I have somewhere to aim for and land when doing 30-45 minute suborbital flights around the planet :)

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Or is the problem that the runways are not 'solid', and the vessel will only land on terrain tiles?

Marijn

Reaction score
Or is the problem that the runways are not 'solid', and the vessel will only land on terrain tiles?

Have you ever played SimCity? Basicly, we need a bulldozer tool to flatten the terrain. The problem is dat the runway will be 'projected' on the surface of the earth. If the surface is bumpy, like most places on earth, then the runway will be bumpy too. So you need to modify the file which makes up the terrain to flatten the part where you want to lay down your runway. I think it's the Elev.tree files found in \Textures\Body\Archive. In the \Utils folder, there is an app called tileedit which should help you to do this. I ran into trouble installing this tool. But perhaps you don't. Give it a try.