What languages do you speak?

Screamer

Reaction score
My native language is Afrikaans. It is a variation of Dutch which is our language Grand daddy:thumbup:
It looks like no other person can speak Afrikaans except maybe T. Neo and agentgonzo.
I am fluent in English and in some native language's like Sesotho.
I can read and understand the Dutch language.
Some German.
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/member.php?u=141

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Alas I can only understand a few words and phrases of Afrikaans, mostly because some words sound similar to their English counterparts (both are Germanic languages).

I really want to learn an indigenous language though; I started with Zulu a few years back, but it was pretty tough. I'm thinking of getting into it again, though I don't know if I'll be able to stop procrastinating.

I'm happy to hear that agentgonzo picked up a bit of Afrikaans while he was in SA.

Last edited:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Natively, Portuguese.
Spanish, fluently (given that I live in a spanish-speaking country, that's probably a good thing ;) )
and English, fluently as well

Now, do Javascript, Actionscript, Python, C++ and C# also count? ;)

Cheers

Cheers

chobolatom

XR2 ESA Virtual Pilot
Reaction score
Normally, I speak Czech, but sometimes they say something in English. I learned German, but all I know is how to count to ten. :lol:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Native: English
Somewhat Fluent: Español
Learning: Zhōngwén
Know a small bit: Nihongo.

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Native: English (Australian or UK derivatives)
Can understand if they speak slow enough, but can't speak: french
Can read 'phonetically', can write basics, can do very basic expressions, but dont understand: Japanese (specifically Katakana and hirigana, some kanji characters)

Other than what I learnt at school I'm not particularly proficient in any language other than English - but one day I'd like to be fluent in Japanese and French.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
My native language is American English.

I speak Mexican Spanish reasonably well, to the point of being bilingual.

I can cuss in Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Tagalog, which is usually engough to get by. ;)

LuckyHendrix

Reaction score
Native language french. I speak dutch and english aswell. And a little bit of walloon :thumbup:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
I speak Mexican Spanish reasonably well, to the point of being bilingual.

Hmm, good point, Mexican Spanish is NOT the same as Rest-Of-The-World Spanish...

That's something I had to learn the hard way when I moved here... I thought that it'd be easy, since half my family comes from Uruguay (although they live in Brazil for over 50 years), and I thought I had been exposed to enough spanish to get by... oh boy was I wrong... :facepalm: :lol:

But I love how Mexican spanish has absorved English words... by favorite is 'Mofles', meaning a car's exhaust pipe... Normally, one would think the word should be derived from the literal translation of 'escape pipe' or 'exhaust'... not in Mexico... here they're called 'Mofles', and it took me a while to find out that it's actually a mispronounciation and misspelling of 'mufflers' :lol:

Cheers