What music are you listening to?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
At this point in time, probably this:

Beethoven's Symphony no 3 Eroica - (Genius creation of the Eroica - 9 June 1804 ) - YouTube

It does run 90 minutes, with commercial breaks in the worst places and you can tell its half drama, half music from the duration.
But is is a good example of what the BBC can do when they try hard.
Its also Beethoven's birthday, so why not?

I'm biased as it was one of the pieces on the tape I kept for twenty+ years till it was finally released.

This chap does a good explanation of the technology of the time.
How 2" Quadruplex Videotape (VTR) Machines Worked - YouTube

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Seems appropriate:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
These last days I am very old with my music (as if it were taken from Blast from the Past).

Ahh, that future. I'm looking at you hypersonic-shaped plane from the 1950s.

All of this mixed with a bit of listening to Shortwave at night, finding and listening to WWVH from Hawaii (12000km from my home), it's like traveling back in time.
Oh and by the way, on the great internet there is a WWV/WWVH simulator. What more can you ask for from life?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Currently I'm having a blast with Slim Dusty Australian folk songs. An authentic character.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Starts 1:30 in.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Listening in shortwave to Radio Rumanía Internacional, spanish service.
I like Romanian folk music is beautiful, and very happy and the Romanian Rhapsody at the beginning of the broadcast is absolutely perfect.

Also the shortwave is perfect to adjust clocks, from Hawaii to my house in the argentine coast. I can't understain how a 10kV signal can travel so far away.
Here is a simulator of how it sounds approximately

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
During one of the last solar maximums, I suddenly had a radio station from Madrid on my cars radio in lower saxony - and that loud and clear... 95.1 MHz I think was the frequency at this point or 104.1 MHz, it was one of the older radios that did not try to find a new emitter automatically, when the reception got bad. Maybe somebody from Spain knows which radio station this could have been.

I am still trying to figure out, which it was. Also, it was a strange time for a sporadic-E event, but I remember that the space weather newsletter was really spamming my inbox during these days with new alerts and events. AFAIR, there was no geomagnetic storm active during that time, just extreme X-ray emissions of the sun.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@Urwumpe : At that band (VHF) I doubt that. Usually long distance shortwave propagation is more in the "lower bands" (30m 'til maybe 10m band [10MHz - 28MHz]).
You might have received a "pirate station" that just (re-)broadcasted the station from Madrid)
Although it's still not impossible to have strong propagation in the 2-4m band, though

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@Urwumpe : At that band (VHF) I doubt that. Usually long distance shortwave propagation is more in the "lower bands" (30m 'til maybe 10m band [10MHz - 28MHz]).
You might have received a "pirate station" that just (re-)broadcasted the station from Madrid)
Although it's still not impossible to have strong propagation in the 2-4m band, though

No, I doubt that. My spanish isn't really the best, I have to admit it, but it was about local madrid politics or economy news - I doubt somebody here rebroadcasts this without comment. No music for about 15 minutes and 8 km before I lost signal again. Also it was the typical Madrid dialect - not the one from Mexico, Pamplona or Barcelona, which I know from school, thanks to VW sending their people around until they return with wife and family....

Kyle_E

Begining Double Bassist
Reaction score
This is obviously technically past the season but what does that matter?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Something, well, complicated: