Where to find extraterrestrial uranium...

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but...

I'm working on a Sci-fi story on the harder side of moh's scale and have come across a problem.

My fictional colonists are going to be rather dependant on nuclear power, both for energy production and transportation (NTRs and Orion-Drives). As such they will need a readily exploitable source of Uranium and other fissionables.

Recent surveys show that the moon lacks any such supply.
http://www.space.com/8644-moon-map-shows-uranium-short-supply.html

For economic and story reasons, I'd rather not have the colony dependant on Earth for fuel, so where else in the solar system can they go to find some?

Thank you in advance. :tiphat:

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
You should have your colonies just have to convert that old fission reactor to a fusion reactor. Capable of using all sorts of materials for its fuels. Much like old Doc Brown did with his portable nuclear fusion reactor on the time machine. :thumbup:

It would solve your having to rely on dangerous materials like uranium. I mean that thing is fictitious anyway, so may as well go all the way and turn it to a fusion reactor.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, if you go to Mars, you should find some uranium somewhere, along with all the other ores you need to keep human technology running. :2cents:

Hartmann

Reaction score
What about thorium ?

Is another fisible mineral that coul be used in nuclear reactors.

thorium_moon_485.ashx

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
What about thorium ?

Is another fisible mineral that coul be used in nuclear reactors.

thorium_moon_485.ashx

Hmm...

Generator Stations and NTR stages based on a family of Thorium-fueled MSRs, I can work with that.

Thank you. :tiphat:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't think thorium reactor technology is as advanced as uranium tech right now, but there's interest in advancing thorium reactor development in order to free dependance from uranium supplies on Earth.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Robert Heinlein wrote a SF book, Rocketship Galileo, about some people who build a nuclear thermal rocket that burned thorium as fuel. It's copyrighted 1947 and it's very dated, as it's about a scientist and three high school students who put together a moon mission virtually by themselves, including developing and testing the fission powerplant, as if the whole thing is a Boy Scout outing. But it's still Heinlein, so it's to be taken seriously.

Screamer7

Reaction score
Let us first consider where Uranium originated in the first place. As many of us know, all the heavy elements are conceived in Supernova explosions. Our Sun and all the matter in our solar system, have that "star stuff" in some extend. So I think Uranium could be found any where; especially in the inner planets.

Last edited:

Roanoak

Reaction score
Hey!
To start off, I'm very new to this discussion board, correct me on any breaches of etiquette. I was actually also interested in some foundation to futuristic fantasy stories, and wandered my way onto the site. I was taking a look at some of the previous post dates as I write this and realize I might be a little late to the punch; maybe an excellent sci-fi book has already been published(?). If not, or if the information is still relevant (I don't see why it wouldn't be), I wanted to address/ add onto the original Uranium dilemma. I was interested in NTR propulsion tech, as the Spec. Impul. in these systems and their very solid/tested design parameters makes them a good-plausible candidate for future long haul manned missions, especially intra-solar system missions. Uranium pellet reactors have been most intensively studied, but Uranium is just so damn rare (expensive) at current market values, and the cost of shuttling the super-heavy metal into earth orbit is a huge hydrocarbon fuel drag (assuming NTR propulsion wouldn't be used on terrestrial earth launches with risk of fallout). But ask any geologist and they'd tell you Uranium is a super plentiful metal, especially in seawater. The problem is not a shortage of Uranium, but a shortage of U-235 that drives cost. Only odd numbered Uranium isotopes are fissile, and U-235 makes up only ~.07% of crust layer Uranium on earth, U-238 making up most of the remaining 99% occurrence. My epiphany, however, was that this future society might have cracked tokamak fusion, and formed a heavy reliance on fusion energy to meet their energy needs. This fusion energy still would not be capable of being made compact enough to use on spacecraft, but it could be used to produce fissile fuel for spacecraft. These types of fusion reactors produce grossly high energy neutron radiation during plasma ignition, which is a major source of inefficiency in these reactors. This energy could be recycled, however, if say a depleted uranium shield (composed entirely of U-238) were used at the interface of the tokamak. This uranium is readily available (as is Thorium-232), and can absorb high energy neutrons to quickly produce Pu-239. This Pu can be oxidised and mixed with plain old U-238 dioxide to make an MOX pellet with essentially the same characteristic as enriched U-235 used in current NTR pellets. Pu MOX would have greater energy density and would be more fissionable than the U-233 produced for Thorium, and could be produced pretty limitlessly on Earth, maybe even cheaply enough to compensate orbital shuttling. Additionally, some of the waste energy of the fusion reactor could be recovered to produce the fissile fuel. Sorry this is way longer than I wanted it to be, but hope its thought provoking/useful. Thanks for the opportunity.

Roanoak.