Question Which Addons Work With Orbiter 2016?

EstuaryDweller

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I last used Orbiter in around 2015 just before the big update came out, I lost interest when 90% of the addons stopped working with the newer version.

I've been lurking around Dan Steph's forum for half a decade and I'd say it looks like we're never getting an updated UCGO at this point. I have a really big itch to delve back into Orbiter, especially since one of my kids is now old enough to begin learning the basics, but looking at the default offerings it seems like half the simulation aspect is missing right now.

The pinned thread about addons won't load, so I guess I'm asking - what is there to actually use in Orbiter now? Is there a replacement for the cargo and crew on the horizon that might work with the XR fleet per chance?

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Hello everyone. I last used Orbiter in around 2015 just before the big update came out, I lost interest when 90% of the addons stopped working with the newer version.

I've been lurking around Dan Steph's forum for half a decade and I'd say it looks like we're never getting an updated UCGO at this point. I have a really big itch to delve back into Orbiter, especially since one of my kids is now old enough to begin learning the basics, but looking at the default offerings it seems like half the simulation aspect is missing right now.

The pinned thread about addons won't load, so I guess I'm asking - what is there to actually use in Orbiter now? Is there a replacement for the cargo and crew on the horizon that might work with the XR fleet per chance?
If I recall correctly, the developer is working on getting UCGO to 2016. However, there is a patch that is on Orbit Hangar that should help solve some problems. I hope this is what you are looking for. https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=8db08632-9891-4518-834a-de7f2e655e8e

As for the cars, a good alternative is GeneralVehicle: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=eb4a7e79-9a2e-4600-8296-ee84ff97b9bf

I found that many mods designed for 2010 work great in 2016, especially the MFDs and some of the Bases. I am actually migrating back to 2010 because of the plethora of addons there. Until then, we will have to wait.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
You'll be happy to know that NASSP has had steady development. If that's your thing, checkout our subforum for the installation guide.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I am actually migrating back to 2010 because of the plethora of addons there.
I also had tried to migrate to Orbiter 2010 but later had to reverse the process as I was losing the amazing visual effects in Orbiter 2016. While I am losing the opportunity to enjoy the "plethora of addons" in Orbiter 2010, I am still enjoying what add-ons are created for Orbiter 2016. However, I still seldom use Orbiter 2010, mostly for testing purposes.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You'll have a "Proton LV 2022" that should compare to Thorton's stuff by this Summer. Lot of work with the end of the school year, but I see the end of the tunnel.

Krishnan

I believe, my friends, caravans of rockets
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I also had tried to migrate to Orbiter 2010 but later had to reverse the process as I was losing the amazing visual effects in Orbiter 2016. While I am losing the opportunity to enjoy the "plethora of addons" in Orbiter 2010, I am still enjoying what add-ons are created for Orbiter 2016. However, I still seldom use Orbiter 2010, mostly for testing purposes.
I do love 2016's graphics and improvements, but don't mind getting 2010 graphics and more addon gameplay. It reminds me of FSX and other graphics of the era. The nostalgia is nice.

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I do love 2016's graphics and improvements, but don't mind getting 2010 graphics and more addon gameplay. It reminds me of FSX and other graphics of the era. The nostalgia is nice.
You're right, and I'm still thinking on using Orbiter 2010 for add-ons that have only Orbiter 2010 (and/or earlier) version (like DGIV, Arrow Freighter). You might argue that the Shuttle Fleet has only Orbiter 2010 and earlier versions, but Gattis has (almost) independently developed the Space Transportation System 2016 add-on for Orbiter 2016.