Poll Which apollo mission would you say was the...

jinglesassy

Reaction score
Which of the apollo missions would you say were the real pioneers? I would say apollo 8 because they were the first humans to leave earth orbit and orbit another celestial body unsure if they could survive beyond the van allen radiation belt and so many more.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I think it's kinda unfair to single out any one mission. Sure, Apollo 8 was a bit more uncertain than following missions, it being the first, but every flight was very dangerous. I mean, I'd imagine flying in the shadow of Apollo 13 would've been pretty worrisome.

Unstung

Reaction score
Apollo 7 was the first to use the command module, and it could have ended NASA if it failed like Apollo 1. First C type mission.
Apollo 8 was a daring trip to the moon before the LEM was finished in fear that the Russians may get to the moon first. First E type mission.
Apollo 9 was the first to use the LEM. First D type mission.
Apollo 10 was the first to take the LEM into lunar orbit. First F type mission.
Apollo 11 was the first to land on the moon. First G type mission.
Apollo 12 was about as successful as one could get on a mission, and they landed perfectly.
Apollo 13 was the successful failure.
Apollo 14 had to be successful because of the previous mission, stakes were high again. First H type mission.
Apollo 15 was the first to use the lunar rover and look at more geology of the moon.
Apollo 16 was the first J type mission with a longer 3-day stay on the moon.
Apollo 17 was a perfect mission to end the whole program.
They are all pioneers, and the people on the ground who made it possible. Every mission has significance. Too bad Apollo 18-20 didn't fly.