Question Why Tuesday?

diogom

Reaction score
Ok, after seeing it many times in this Forum, I have to ask: why is Tuesday such an important day around here? (Never mind that I'm posting this on a Wednesday :lol:).

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Excuse for...

monday_04.jpg

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
oh dear, what has it come to if people can appreciate the probe-ness of tuesday without understanding it?

ill let you in on the secret, i dont suppose the admins will tell me off for it (and im sorry if i shouldnt btw)

it was because DanSteph announced that the DGIV (or it may have been the DGIII) on a tuesday, but never said which tuesday, so there was great anticipation each and every tuesday since then, first for the DG, then for any good addon

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think it ultimately stems from Star Trek VII: Generations. Kirk kept asking the captain of the new Enterprise when stuff would be installed (torpedoes, tractor beam, staff) and the answer for two was Tuesday, while the third Kirk said "let me guess. Tuesday?" Since I am not DanSteph I don't know if that's the ultimate origin of it with respect to the Orbiter community, but it would fit.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think it ultimately stems from Star Trek VII: Generations. Kirk kept asking the captain of the new Enterprise when stuff would be installed (torpedoes, tractor beam, staff) and the answer for two was Tuesday, while the third Kirk said "let me guess. Tuesday?" Since I am not DanSteph I don't know if that's the ultimate origin of it with respect to the Orbiter community, but it would fit.

Exactly, at least that is the common origin of the Non-Orbiter use of Tuesday as ultimate future release date... you also find it already in many programmer stories before Orbiter, most referring to Star Trek.

It is very likely that the Tuesday effect is even older than Star Trek, but it is the oldest known appearance to me.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
It's developing though.

Because Tuesday was associated with such a hoped-for release, and expectations were met with Dan's fantastic UCGO, Tuesday releases are coming to be expected to be very special.

An example was the release of Orbiter 2010, in which Martin Schweiger temporarily re-designated Monday as Tuesday (well, one minute of it anyway...) in order to release his new great program properly. :hailprobe:

Welcome to the world of the Orbinaut............. :lol::lol::lol:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It started with the DGIV when Dan Steph said it would be released on Tuesday.

fatcat

Reaction score
The question is not 'why Tuesday?', but rather 'why not Tuesday?'

Linguofreak

Reaction score
And nobody questioned his authority to do so.

It's not a matter of authority: release day is Tuesday by definition. He could have made a release on what would normally be Monday and called it Wednesday, but it would still really be Tuesday.