Wireless headsets with 3.5mm base stations

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'd like to buy myself a wireless headset for my computer. The most straightforward solution is to buy a wireless headset with a USB dongle, but this runs into problems with both Linux and Window's plug/unplug handling of USB sound devices (I plan on switching back and forth between the headset and speakers driven by my internal soundcard).

With a 3.55mm device I can just plug it in to the 3.5mm jack on my speakers and the speakers silence themselves in hardware and pass the signal on to the headset. Or if I'm using my laptop, the soundcard detects that something is plugged into the 3.5mm jack and sends its output there instead. In either case, the operating system keeps sending sound to the same sound card through the same driver and is none the wiser about the device switch.

With a USB device, the device is detected as a second soundcard, and both Linux and Windows mishandle hotplugging of soundcards, making manual tweaking of audio configuration necessary on every plug and/or unplug of the USB device.

So what I'd really like to find is something with a base station that connects to a computer by 3.5mm and to the headset wirelessly. Can anybody recommend anything like this?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Nope. I use a Turtle Beach headset, and my only wireless device is a mouse that eats batteries like crazy.