Flight Question Working the numeric keypad on a notebook

Gothmog

Reaction score
I've been playing Orbiter for several years, but have recently run into a situation I haven't had to handle before. In using the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2840"]Goddard suborbital spacecraft add-on[/ame], however, it turns out that I need to use the hover engine, but there's no control panel view. This means I need to use the keyboard to start and stop the hover engine, but I can't figure out the combination of keystrokes to actually do it.

The Orbiter manual tells me that, to start the hover engines, it's numeric keypad 0. To stop them, it's num-key-period. The problem is that on my notebook, the keypad is overlaid on the regular keys. For most Orbiter functionality, this works fine when I set my keyboard to function lock--e.g., num-4 and num-6 start roll maneuvers, num-5 is kill rotation, and num-8/num-2 provide yaw maneuvers. But the '0' and period won't do anything.

I think my keyboard is fairly standard for a notebook. The numeric keyboard, from 0 to 9, is overlaid on M,J,K,L,U,I,O,7,9,and 9. These are mostly secondary auxiliary functions; for example on the 'J', there's the main letter, and then below that there are 'END' and '1'. When I'm not using Orbiter and don't have the function lock on, all these numeral work fine. For instance, when I'm typing German and I want to type an 'ö', I hold down the FN and ALT keys, and then type out '0246' using the keypad (or FN-ALT-MKUO) and it works exactly as it should.

So wouldn't this mean that if I have the function lock on and I'm using Orbiter, I should be able to just press ALT-M to actuate the keypad 0? But it doesn't work. Neither does it work if I also hold down the FN key, or Shift or CTRL.

If anyone knows how to make this work I'd appreciate some insight very much.

Gothmog

Reaction score
ETA: The Remote Vessel Control does provide an adequate workaround, but I'd still like to learn how to do it on the keyboard.