Launch News X-37B OTV-3, Atlas V 501, December 11, 2012

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
AFAIK the launch date is still tentative, as the date has not yet been fixed with the range. There's also the RL-10 problem that apparently the cause still haven't been found. In fact I'll bet $5 US that this launch will shift into 2013...... ;)

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
It would be nice if the NRO, USAF or the Cape could make a public releasable statement, this spoon feeding frenzy were on from the media agitates me slightly. I had to go to the ULA site just to find out, I still can't find any independant report about the tenative date.

IMHO the range will most likley approve any launch from the Cape. The questions remain about the RL-10 worthy-ness. I'm on your side I think the launch will shift right as well.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm..... as of today the "pending range approval" words on the ULA web page has disappeared. Does it mean that it will go next week? :shrug:

The launch period is, IIRC, 12:45 - 4:45 pm EST (17:45 - 21:45 UTC), but I can't remember where I've seen it.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Hmm..... as of today the "pending range approval" words on the ULA web page has disappeared. Does it mean that it will go next week? :shrug:

The launch period is, IIRC, 12:45 - 4:45 pm EST (17:45 - 21:45 UTC), but I can't remember where I've seen it.

Hey more power to them, I hope things get back on track and are successful.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Florida Today: Secret military space plane to launch from Cape Canaveral on Tuesday:
A secret military space plane will attempt to launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on Tuesday afternoon, the 45th Space Wing confirmed this morning.

The X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle is scheduled to lift off atop a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket [highlight]between 1:03 p.m. and 6:03 p.m.[/highlight] [18:03-23:03 UTC --orb]

{...}

Here's calendar event for the launch. Here you can request a reminder for it.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
ULA reported that the Launch Readiness Review for this launch has been completed, so it's clear for launch!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Photos of vehicle stacking and rollout:

av_otv3_m2.jpg

av_otv3_m4.jpg

av_otv3_m3.jpg

av_otv3_m5.jpg

av_otv3_m1.jpg

av_otv3_r3.jpg

av_otv3_r5.jpg

av_otv3_r4.jpg

av_otv3_r1.jpg

av_otv3_r2.jpg

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Weather isn't quite suitable for launch today, with a cold front bringing thunderstorms around Florida. Right now the chances for acceptable today is just 30% (will be down to 20% tomorrow).

Meanwhile.....

12.12.11%2022-46-42%20AV012.jpg

12.12.11%2022-46-44%20AV012.jpg

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Launch Complete, Centaur burn inprogress. The launch was perfect, everything proceeding normaly.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

3 Min to MECO 1

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Centaur MECO 1 complete

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Live coverage terminiated, Launch replays inprogress

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Why are they so hush hush about everything after 17 min?

They do realize the orbit will be track-able online in a few days?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Why are they so hush hush about everything after 17 min?

They do realize the orbit will be track-able online in a few days?

Because.....it's black? :ninja: Remember that on the first two X-37 launches the coverage was cut at fairing separation 3.5 minutes after liftoff!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
It's not on the website yet, but ULA has issued a launch success press release:

United Launch Alliance Successfully Launches Third X-37B

Orbital Test Vehicle for the Air Force

First Spacecraft to Launch on an Atlas, Return to Earth and Launch Again

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., (Dec. 11, 2012) – A United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket successfully launched the third Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV-3) for the Air Force’s Rapid Capabilities Office (AFRCO) at 1:03 p.m. EST today from Space Launch Complex-41. The OTV, also known as the X-37B, supports space experimentation, risk reduction, and concept of operations development for long duration and reusable space vehicle technologies. The first two OTV missions also were successfully launched by ULA respectively on April 22, 2010 and March 5, 2011.

"The ULA team is proud to have played a critical role in successfully launching these three important Orbital Test Vehicle missions for the Air Force RCO,” said Jim Sponnick, ULA vice president, Mission Operations. “This is a unique spacecraft since it is the first to launch on an Atlas V, return to Earth landing at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, and then fly again on this mission.”

This launch completes the most aggressive campaign in the history of the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV) program with 10 missions launched during 2012, including eight launches from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and two from Vandenberg Air Force Station in California.

This mission was launched aboard an Atlas V EELV 501 configuration vehicle, which includes a 5-meter diameter payload fairing. The Atlas booster for this mission was powered by the RD AMROSS RD-180 engine and the Centaur upper stage was powered by a single Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne (PWR) RL10A-4 engine.

“I sincerely congratulate our OTV customer on today’s successful launch as well as our integrated team of mission partners that successfully accomplished ten critical one-at-a-time launches in 2012,” said Sponnick.

The EELV program was established by the United States Air Force to provide assured access to space for Department of Defense and other government payloads. The commercially developed EELV Program supports the full range of government mission requirements, while delivering on schedule and providing significant cost savings over the heritage launch systems.

ULA's next launch is the Atlas V TDRS-K mission for NASA scheduled Jan. 29, 2013 from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.

ULA program management, engineering, test, and mission support functions are headquartered in Denver, Colo. Manufacturing, assembly and integration operations are located at Decatur, Ala., and Harlingen, Texas. Launch operations are located at Cape Canaveral AFS, Fla., and Vandenberg AFB, Calif.

For more information on ULA, visit the ULA Web site at www.ulalaunch.com, or call the ULA Launch Hotline at 1-877-ULA-4321 (852-4321). Join the conversation at www.facebook.com/ulalaunch and twitter.com/ulalaunch.

Atlas%20V%20-%20OTV3.jpg

Atlas%20V%20-%20OTV3%20-%202nd%20pic.jpg

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Two cool shots of the launch along with deep rumbling of the RD-180! :cool: