OHM X-wing Starfighter Red5

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: rocket7221

Here is Luke Skywalker's Red 5 X-wing Starfighter from Star Wars Episode IV with moving parts.  I wanted a more complex X-wing for Orbiter, so I started to learn to develop, and this is the end product. I hope you enjoy it!

Just paste the folders into your Orbiter directory and have fun with it!  ***Update*** -This is standalone, but will overwrite the previous Red5 config and mesh.

***Added textures and tweaks for a totally new experience. 1000% better***

-fixed a lot of bugs with the mesh, and added a pilot and non-working virtual cockpit.  Smoothed the engine nacelles and added lots of details.

-K opens/closes the canopy,
-G raises/lowers the landing gear,
-Lshift-1 locks the S-foils,
-Lshift-5 brings R2 to life.

DOWNLOAD

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
The mesh looks well. But try to implement a VC! A fighter class/small ship without VC is a nogo. But its your first addon, so im looking forward!

halcyon

Reaction score
He puts a lot of time into making an addon and all you do is complain it doesn't have a VC?
Why don't you do better then?

Seriously, I'm tired of these comments. People contribute to the community and I see more complaints because the addon doesn't have what they want.
Btw...I use plenty of addons without VC's and they are not "nogo's."

Rocket, nice job on the x-wing. I'm a Star Wars fan and the mesh is beautiful. Try to tune out the complainers.

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well i set up a static VC for this.
attachment.php

It only took 5 minutes of tinkering with the ini file.

Attachments

• Red5.jpg
    Red5.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 492

Rocket7221

Pilot
Reaction score
It's no problem, as I do more, I'll get more complex with my models and would love to get to the level of implementing more features, but I'll also take all the constructive criticism that I can get. I also have many downloads with no VC's and am not too worried about it...but I would like to get one in sometime soon. It just didn't look quite right with my very basic cockpit.

Thanks for the compliments though!

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You did pretty well, much better than me. All I can do is make bases for the moment.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
@Halcyon
I sayed too that Rocket7221 did a nice job! My comment is only a suggestion and not a complaint!
And this forum/orbithangar is made for suggestions. Learn to handle it, the developer understood it. In the old orbithangar was pro and contra section, this was maybe alot harder, so it was maybe removed.
To less people write comments, but this helps alot. I remember me at an addon which did destroy orbiter installations and it would do it again if i not had written a comment to the developer!!!
If i someday release a complet own addon, it will has a VC, when the vessel class is made for it! Because Orbiter is a simulation, and without a VC it loses mutch of simulation stuff.
And yes there are many vc-less vessels, to many! But sitting in it (where i sit in it?), its alltime like flying an "unmanned rocket", sorry.
Many developers released its vessels and promised that later versions will have a VC, but nothing happens.
Example: the XR5, a beautifull ship, but allthough without VC it is not approximately so successful like his brother the XR2. The XR2 with only a static VC is one of the most popular ships ever! But no ship without a VC has reached this status ever.

@donatelo200 and Rocket7221
It looks good, would be well enough! You should use it official. You spoke about your "very basic" Vc, but its super!!! I go edit the ini too.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
@ Axel & halcyon:

lol it's none of my business but judging by this post I believe there may be some kind of minor linguistic tact or syntax error involved in this conversation.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Looks great. All I can do is make (crappy) repaints in Paint.net.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
He puts a lot of time into making an addon and all you do is complain it doesn't have a VC?
Why don't you do better then?

Seriously, I'm tired of these comments. People contribute to the community and I see more complaints because the addon doesn't have what they want.
Btw...I use plenty of addons without VC's and they are not "nogo's."

Rocket, nice job on the x-wing. I'm a Star Wars fan and the mesh is beautiful. Try to tune out the complainers.

In all politeness, Axel has every right to critique Rocket's add-ons. He was in no way disrespectful or rude, and even threw a compliment in at the end. Suggesting a feature that you would like to see implemented in no way constitutes complaining. Heck, Rocket might even get some ideas from these 'complaints' that you would have away with.

Anyway, to get back on topic, its a nice add-on. I don't frequently use sci-fi craft, but this was nice to take for a spin!

Rocket7221

Pilot
Reaction score
On the first 30 or so downloads after the 11/30/15 update, you may notice a piece of the rear cockpit glass moving with the canopy. I overlooked it somehow (Doh!). It is fixed.

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
Great addon! Generally more snappy and responsive than the other one. Where can I get the Y-wing seen in the background, and can I get an A-wing anywhere?

Loopos

Procrastination Master
Reaction score
Pls make it compatible with Orbiter 2016 (v.160828)

Rocket7221

Pilot
Reaction score
Y-wing

The Y-wing is a 2003 model found at avsim (ppywing I think). I had to do some serious mods to the config and scenario files to get it to work. Then a lot of coloring modifications to the mesh, and some re-texturing. Wish I could upload it completed, but I don't have the author's permission. It appears to be a work in progress that never got completed by them.

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

No joy for the X-wing in 2016. The model uses vinkas spacecraft, which just isn't compatible with the new ground mapping. I've tried many different configs to try to get it to stand on the ground, but no luck. So, can't land or take off. It works alright if you put it in space first. Might be time to learn how to code... :hmm:

Rocket7221

Pilot
Reaction score
Yea, I've been recently trying again. I've tried many configurations. I'm totally re-writing the Config file now.

Looks like I've crashed on Dagobah...

Attachments

• Dagobahwannabe.jpg
    Dagobahwannabe.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 28