XR Vessels Open-Source Development

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Did you actually modify the geometry of the mesh, or just add code?
If the mesh was not modified, I don't think you are creating a derivative work of it, and thus could release under the same license as @dbeachy1.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Although its applicability is still being debated, could the EU Orphan Works Directive potentially be of use here
I wouldn't think so. The directive requires an official registration of the work by a cultural herritage institution, and grants rights only to such institutions (which I'm pretty sure requires another registration...). It's probably waaaaaay less hassle to make a new mesh, and according to my experience with hidden costs in bureaucratic processes, it might even be cheaper to hire a professional to do it...

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. The directive requires an official registration of the work by a cultural herritage institution, and grants rights only to such institutions (which I'm pretty sure requires another registration...). It's probably waaaaaay less hassle to make a new mesh, and according to my experience with hidden costs in bureaucratic processes, it might even be cheaper to hire a professional to do it...
That seems logical.

Any idea what such an endeavour might cost? (The hiring of professional to do it?)

If one were going to get any cockpit professionally made, it probably ought to be this one as it has to be the most flown ship in Orbiter outside of the default ships.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If one were going to get any cockpit professionally made, it probably ought to be this one as it has to be the most flown ship in Orbiter outside of the default ships.
I think dgatsoulis is working on something to make the cockpit actually interactible...

Any idea what such an endeavour might cost? (The hiring of professional to do it?)

I don't have an informed informed idea, but depending on what country the artist is from, I'd guess anywhere from 1000 to 5000 bucks.

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think dgatsoulis is working on something to make the cockpit actually interactible...

I don't have an informed informed idea, but depending on what country the artist is from, I'd guess anywhere from 1000 to 5000 bucks.
Indeed he is, but he doesn't own the meshes themselves, so his right to re-distribute them is under debate. Sadly, it sounds like the actual rights holder has seen fit to disappear off the face of the Earth.
Considering that he did not previously sell the meshes, nor does dgatsoulis intend to do so, I think it would be pretty hard for the rights holder to re-appear out of the ether and suddenly sue for damages. However, technicaly, he would be entitled to try.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
so his right to re-distribute them is under debate.
He doesn't need to redistribute, I don't think. He can just release a patch, without including the meshes.
I think it would be pretty hard for the rights holder to re-appear out of the ether and suddenly sue for damages
That's not really what this is about. The probability that coolhand would hear about it and have the will and capability to sue is pretty low, and even then it would just be a cease and desist. No real harm could come from it other than some work wasted.
But it's a breach of trust. It's the kind of thing that can poison the atmosphere of a modding community. It's just not something you do.