Project XR2 Crew swap

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
-------------------------------------EDIT---------------------------------------
1st stable version released. Please see post #7 in this thread for details
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd stable version released. See link at end of this post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
beta version 0.5 released. See link at end of this post
beta version 0.6 released. See link at end of this post
beta version 0.7 released. See link at end of this post

---------------------------------------------!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!-------------------------------------------------------
1.If you have a previous version of this addon, please delete the folder : Config\CrewMFD , before installing v0.7
2.To be able to hear the breathing sound, you need OrbiterSound 5.0 installed (link)
3.If you are using XRSound, install Sound Bridge OS (link) and then activate both XRSound and OrbiterSound in the modules tab.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usage:
1. Download the link at the end of this post and unzip in your Orbiter directory.
2.Run the 'CrewSwap-Ready for Takeoff to ISS' scenario.
(You can use the script in any scenario you want, either by entering the line 'Script crewmfd' (without the quotes) in your scenario (in the BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT END_ENVIRONMENT section) or by bringing up TerminalMFD, pressing INP, typing: run('crewmfd') and pressing enter.
3. Close and reopen the Ravenstar's docking port. (Ctrl-K) -you don't have to wait for it to fully close, but it needs to be set back to fully open
4. Open the Ravenstar's outer airlock. (Ctrl-O) -you don't have to wait for it to fully close, but it needs to be set back to fully open
5.Follow the instructions/answer the questions on screen.

MMU KEYS:
On ground: A, D = Turn left,right, W = accelerate, S = decelerate/stop, LShift-S = reverse.
In space: Standard use of RCS thrusters (rotation/translation).
Pressing the E key when close to a docking port, ends the EVA and the focus is shifted to the dock's vessel.

Other:
The crew of your XR2 is stored in the Config\CrewMFD\(shipname).cfg file. You can edit the file with the notepad to add/remove crew. If you delete the file, the crew of your ship will be reset to the default.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of things added/changed/fixed, so please remove the previous version before installing this one. (It will work even if you don't, but I don't want to chase any bugs that might be present if you don't remove the previous version). Very important to at least remove the Config\CrewMFD\ folder before installing this version.

Additions/Changes/Bug fixes

-Changed the ground EVA buttons to WASD (front,left,back,right) and E to enter docking port.
-Fixed: CTD when entering docking port from EVA
-Fixed: Pilot and copilot not visible when XR2 heatshield effect is on
-Fixed: Script crashing when user input was invalid/out of range
-Fixed*: EVA in space moving the XR2 by a few hundred meters. See notes below
-Added: Crew member weight is added to ship weight.
-Added: Option to EVA all crew when landed.
-Added: Option to add/change multiple or all crew members at once! New crew compliment with a single entry!
-Added: (in ship) Helmets on/off animation (RCS and AFCS = OFF, helmets off)
-Added: Other ship to XR2 crew transfers (see supported ships below)
-Added: Oxygen timer in EVA HUD.
-Added: Better EVA VC breathing sounds, low/critical oxygen warnings and death sound (no real gameplay impact yet).
-Added: CrewSwap Readme.txt in "add-on docs" folder with instructions.(wip)
-Added: 3 more crew members: Mark_Watney(The Martian), Camina_Drummer(The Expanse) and Bishop(Aliens). Total number of crew members: 42 (you can load 3 different XR2s with a completely different set of crew members!).
-Changed: Removed unneccessary alpha channels from textures to reduce size.
-Changed: Loaded XR2 crew members are removed from the selection pool.
-Added: Scenarios folder with instructions in the description.
-Added: "Ship has full compliment" sound when the max crew number for ship is reached. (see notes).

Notes:
-"Black Ground" when EVA crew member spawns. Simply tap the W and S keys to move it a little bit and the black ground goes away.
-EVA in space makes the XR2 jump. I tried my best to minimize this effect, but it's not possible to completely avoid it, because the lua script works in "post-step". When the code is migrated in MFD/C++ format, this part of the code will be in "pre-step", so the bug will be gone. For now, every time you EVA a crew member in space, the ship together with the EVA crew member "jump" by a few meters (less than 10) in a random direction. It was a few hundred meters in the previous version.

-Ships (classes) that you can transfer crew members to and from (either by EVA or docking the XR2):
Atlantis, max crew: 7 --no visuals of crew
DeltaGlider, max crew: 5 --no visuals of crew
DG-S, max crew: 5 --no visuals of crew
DeltaGliderIV, max crew: 5 --no visuals of crew
DeltagliderXR1, max crew: 5 --no visuals of crew
Dragonfly, max crew: 2 --no visuals of crew
ISS, max crew: 8 --no visuals of crew
Mir, max crew: 3 --no visuals of crew
ProjectAlpha_ISS, max crew: 8 --no visuals of crew
Wheel, max crew: 20 --no visuals of crew
XR2Ravenstar, max crew: 14 --full visuals of crew
XR5Vanguard, max crew: 14 --no visuals of crew

New video: (soon)

No more empty chairs in the XR2.
-You can load any crew member in any of the 14 XR2 seats.
-You can perform EVAs, both landed and in space.
-You can return back to the XR2, by getting the EVA crew member close to the docking port and pressing E.
-You can transfer crew between docked XR2s, by opening the outer airlock.
-The crew is persistent, tied to the XR2's name. You can have different XR2s with different crews in the same scenario.
-The mmus are based on Fred18's General Vehicle. They handle like "cars" on land, and like spacecrafts in space.

Crew members in this version (v0.7):
Amy_Farrah_Fowler (TBBT)
Benjamin_Sisko (StarTrek DS9)
Bishop (Aliens)
Bob_Behnken (RL)
Buzz_Aldrin (RL)
Camina_Drummer (The Expanse)
Chrisjen_Avasarala (The Expanse)
Deanna_Troi (StarTrek TNG)
Dr_Amelia_Brand (Interstellar)
Ellen_Ripley (Alien)
Geordi_la_Forge (StarTrek TNG)
Han_Solo (StarWars)
Inara_Serra (Firefly)
Jadzia_Dax (StarTrek DS9)
James_Holden (The Expanse)
James_Kirk (StarTrek TOS)
Jean_Luc_Picard (StarTrek TNG)
Joseph_Cooper (Interstellar)
Kara_Miller (Default XR2)
Kara_Thrace (BTG)
Kathryn_Janeway (StarTrek Voyager)
Lee_Nash (Default XR2)
Leia_Organa (StarWars)
Malcolm_Reynolds (Firefly)
Mark Watney (The Martian)
Megan_McArthur (RL)
Melissa_Lewis (The Martian)
Mr_Data (StarTrek TNG)
Naomi_Nagata (The Expanse)
Neil_Armstrong (RL)
Nyota_Uhura (StarTrek TOS)
Rhea_Seddon (RL)
Robert_Gibson (RL)
Sally_Ride (RL)
Seven_of_Nine (StarTrek Voyager)
Sheldon_Cooper (TBBT)
Spock_son_of_Sarek (StarTrek TOS)
Tasha_Yar (StarTrek TNG)
Valentina_Tereshkova (RL)
William_Adama (BTG)
William_Riker (StarTrek TNG)
Yuri_Gagarin (RL)

Crew members work in progress:
Zoe_Washburne (Firefly)
Howard Wolowitz (TBBT)

Upcomming versions:
-crew visuals for some ships, I'll start with the deltagliders and we'll see from there.
-mmu code cleanup
-Death effect for mmus with no oxygen.
-Atmosphere check and helmet removal for EVAs on ground with oxygen atmosphere.
-Grappable and usable turbopacks
-Cargo boxes (UCGO meshes) grapple and deployment.
-Convert the lua code to C++ MFD.

Link for latest beta version (0.7)

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, so it seems that my initial assumption for using insertmesh was incorrect. It replaces the existing mesh and it doesn't work. Addmesh works but then we have the invisibility behind window problem.
I'll reduce the scope a bit and instead of trying to make a universal crew swap addon, I'll go with what I have already and simply add a few pairs of new heads for the XR2.

Here are the pairs that I plan to add:
1. Lee - Miller (default XR2)
2. Picard - 7 of 9 (Different ST series but I like it).
3. Kirk - Uhura
4. Sisko - Dax
5. Adama - Starbuck (James Olmos - Katee Sackhoff)
6. Reynolds - Inara (Firefly)
7. (Your suggestions)

If you have a particular pair of faces that you'd like to see as the pilot and copilot of the XR2, leave a comment in this thread and I'll try to add them. They need to be a male and a female to match the bodysuits of the default crew. Other than that restriction, ask for whoever you want and I'll see if I can add them.
If you can also provide pics it would be great, but it's not strictly necessary (passport-type pics work best for turning them into head meshes. One for each crew member is ok).

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
These are some of my suggestions:
  • Matt Kowalski - Ryan Stone (Gravity)
  • Joseph Cooper - Amelia Brand (Interstellar)
  • Han Solo - Leia Organa (Star Wars 4-6)
  • Will Riker - Deanna Troi (TNG)
  • Cassian Andor - Jyn Erso (Rogue One)
  • Arthur Dent - Trillian (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
  • Mark Watney - Melissa Lewis (The Martian)

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Riker - Data
Cooper - Brand
Hoot Gibson - Story Musgrave (and this opens a large door as far as potential pairs)

Pioneer

Reaction score
From The Expanse, the crew of the Rocinante from the initial seasons:
1. James Holden
2. Alex Kamal
3. Naomi Nagata
4. Amos Burton

gamer19

Reaction score
dr Sheldon Cooper.

and Amy.

sorry but wasn't this my idea on the first place, at least I can have a one suggestion ?

?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!

Happy to report that we have a stable version. For now it is a lua script, later I might switch to a dll.
Unzip the attached file in your Orbiter folder and everything will go in its place.

Features:
XR2 Crew swap works and is persistent between scenarios.
Ten different pairs of pilot-copilot to select from (see list at bottom of this post)

I ended up using a more "organic" method to change the crew.
There are 2 ways:
1.If the ship is landed and you open the nosecone and the outer airlock.
2.If the ship is docked and open the outer airlock.
(You can't change the crew mid-flight. You need to be either landed or docked. I think it's more immersive this way).

When either of those conditions are met, you get asked if you want to change the crew and a list of available crew pairs is displayed.
Then you enter the number corresponding to the crew you want and the meshes are inserted.
The script is looped continuously; you can change the crew as many times as you want, by closing and reopening the animations mentioned above.

The crew pairs list is extendable, without having to change anything in the script, so I might add some more of the requested meshes at a later time.
The crew you selected will be displayed in any scenario with an XR2 Ravenstar in it and will stay that way until you change it again. (by closing and reopening the required animations as stated above. Obviously, you'll need to add the script in the scenario you want).

How to run the script:
Either use the provided scenario (CrewSwap-Ready for Takeoff to ISS) or enter the line "Script CrewSwap" (without the quotes) in any scenario you want. (the line goes between the BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT - END_ENVIRONMENT lines, right under the date).
Example:
BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
System Sol
Date MJD 51984.6053168878
Script CrewSwap
END_ENVIRONMENT

Alternativly you can activate the luaconsole and enter the command: run('CrewSwap')

It doesn't matter if you run the script in a scenario without any Ravenstars in it. Even if you choose to spawn an XR2 with the scenario editor you can change its crew.

Limitations: The crew isn't vessel specific, meaning that all Ravenstars in a single scenario will have the same crew. That might change at a later version, if I find a nice way to "tie" the loaded crew to the vessel's name.

Available XR2 pilot-copilot pairs:
1.Lee-Miller (default)
2.Holden-Nagata
3.Picard-Seven_of_Nine
4.Sisko-Dax
5.Sheldon-Amy
6.Kirk-Uhura
7.Solo-Organa
8.Adama-Thrace
9.Riker-Troi
10.Reynolds-Serra

Some other notes:
  • This works with the standard Orbiter 2016 version. I have not tested it anywhere else.
  • The LuaInterpreter.dll that is included in the zip file, will overwrite your default one located in the OrbiterRoot folder. I needed to add the functionality to make the meshes visible in the VC. I used the extended lua from kuddel, so it will not mess up any other scripts (extended or standard lua) you might have.
  • The proteAudio.dll and lua51.dll are used to play sounds through lua.

If you give this a try, please let me know if it works ok for you.

Responds to requests:
These are some of my suggestions:
1. Matt Kowalski - Ryan Stone (Gravity)
2. Joseph Cooper - Amelia Brand (Interstellar)
3. Han Solo - Leia Organa (Star Wars 4-6)
4. Will Riker - Deanna Troi (TNG)
5. Cassian Andor - Jyn Erso (Rogue One)
6. Arthur Dent - Trillian (HGTTG)
7. Mark Watney - Melissa Lewis (The Martian)
Riker-Troi --done.
Han Solo - Leia Organa --done

I plan on doing some of the others in a later update.

Riker - Data
Cooper - Brand
Hoot Gibson - Story Musgrave (and this opens a large door as far as potential pairs)

The pairs need to be male-female to match the XR2's pilot-copilot suits.
We have Riker-Troi, I might do Data-Yar for the next update.
Not sure about the Gibson-Musgrave pair. All the rest are fictional, these are real.

From The Expanse, the crew of the Rocinante from the initial seasons:
1. James Holden
2. Alex Kamal
3. Naomi Nagata
4. Amos Burton
Need male female pairs to match the suits. Holden-Nagata --done. I might add Kamal-Avasharala in the next update.

dr Sheldon Cooper.

and Amy.

sorry but wasn't this my idea on the first place, at least I can have a one suggestion ?

?
Done :cool:

Please report any issues you might find here.
Happy new Year and happy orbiting.
--------------------:EDIT: -------------------
Latest version link on post #1 of this thread.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Not sure about the Gibson-Musgrave pair. All the rest are fictional, these are real.
Hoot Gibson - Rhea Seddon then, they are even a real couple.
DemncMMW0AA30-V

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hoot Gibson - Rhea Seddon then, they are even a real couple.
DemncMMW0AA30-V
5ff9796a0dcf240390cff0aa762661f0.png

smoothed and textured:

3a26e635d28f7de57bde1009d4222942.png

The black bands are the alpha channel of the texture. Will blend in the final mesh.
Will this work, or should I find a "younger" Gibson photo? (need it as "passport photo" as possible, straight face, directly looking at the camera, no smiling).

-----------Edit---------------
abb800a23c79857a4d7dae130096dee1.png

Needs some more work, but I think the two on the right might be ok.

Last edited:

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Speaking of real couples....how about:
Bob Behnken - Megan McArthur

Flew on two separate flights (Demo-2 and Crew-2) in the same seat inside Crew Dragon Endeavour

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of real couples....how about:
c - Megan McArthur

Flew on two separate flights (Demo-2 and Crew-2) in the same seat inside Crew Dragon Endeavour
Actors are easy because there are a ton of photos to choose from. Finding a few that work for using as a baseline to turn into a mesh isn't a big problem. "Real" people on the other hand are more difficult, especially real life astronauts, where they are almost always smiling in the photos, and/or have their heads/bodies turned 3/4.
If you can provide a couple of "passport" photos for them, (even lighting, looking straight at the camera, no smiles), I'll see what I can do.

----------Edit----------
This photo of Megan McArthur should be ok:

Still looking for a good one for Bob Behnken . The SpaceX ones have the right posture but are unevenly lit, with too much shadow on one side.
For example, this pic had ok posture but bad lighting:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit2:
Hmmm.... didn't turn too bad after all

ead3b2d94ba8dd1cdaf86d7b6b63da3a.png

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I think I might separate the list of available crew pairs into 2 categories: Fictional and Real Life.

Fictional List:
(Done)
Lee-Miller (default)
Holden-Nagata
Picard-Seven_of_Nine
Sisko-Dax
Sheldon-Amy
Kirk-Uhura
Solo-Organa
Adama-Thrace
Riker-Troi
Reynolds-Serra

(Todo)
Cooper-Brand
Data-Yar
Kamal-Avasharala
Wattney-Lewis
Kowalski-Stone
Andor-Erso

Real Life List
(Done, to be added in the next update)
Behnken-McArthur

(Todo)
Gibson-Seddon
(your suggestions, if I can find good photos to make meshes and textures).

Remember, we need male - female pairs to match the XR2 bodysuits. The XR2 mesh is encrypted, so I don't have access to them.
There are of course the EVA meshes, but they need to be posed from scratch to match the existing ones. Doing this using only ingame references is well beyond the scope of this addon.

Last edited:

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Almost forgot, Andriyan Nikolayev and Valentina Tereshkova were also a real couple, but like Megan and Bob, they flew on two separate flights (Vostok 3 and 6)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Almost forgot, Andriyan Nikolayev and Valentina Tereshkova were also a real couple, but like Megan and Bob, they flew on two separate flights (Vostok 3 and 6)
There are also Bill and Anna Fisher, and of course Mark Lee and Jan Davis, which flew together on STS-47.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I ended up using a more "organic" method to change the crew.
There are 2 ways:
1.If the ship is landed and you open the nosecone and the outer airlock.
2.If the ship is docked and open the outer airlock.
(You can't change the crew mid-flight. You need to be either landed or docked. I think it's more immersive this way).

When either of those conditions are met, you get asked if you want to change the crew and a list of available crew pairs is displayed.
Then you enter the number corresponding to the crew you want and the meshes are inserted.
The script is looped continuously; you can change the crew as many times as you want, by closing and reopening the animations mentioned above.

The selection of different crews is a great component to go to a persistent universe: we "board" with some characters or some others. It could be extended to the passengers as well. These characters are transported in some new place/base where they can wait for a next departing flight, and so on...

It reminds me this post (by Owenmck, here) that points a possible great feature in Orbiter:
Also, if orbiter starts using astronaut classes as well as vessel class, multiplayer could be astronaut based rather than vessel based. So I could only pilot vessels that my character is currently inside. Probably won’t happen as there are several issues with this, but just my two cents.