XR2 Public Release Candidate Testing

Chas

Reaction score
XR2 Beta 1C

Have finally got around to trying out 1C.
This is on a completely clean installation, when I load the landed at Brighton Beach scenario, and try to deploy the Turbopack I get a CTD. I have tried this with the pack for Kara, and the standard Turbopack as well.
I have opened the nose cone, depressurised the airlock, and opened the outer door as required.

The XR2 log file is Ok, but Orbiter.log displays the following error (For Kara):

>>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
>>> ERROR: XR2turbopackKara
>>> [C:\Source\Orbiter\Vessel.cpp / 248]
>>> TERMINATING <<<

and for the standard turbopack:

>>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
>>> ERROR: turbopack
>>> [C:\Source\Orbiter\Vessel.cpp / 248]
>>> TERMINATING <<<

I have included the 2 versions of Orbiter.log as an attachments.

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Argh! I missed packaging the new turbopack config files. It's a quick fix -- I'll have a new Beta up in a few minutes.

Good catch -- Chas, you keep earning your check. :)

[EDIT] OK guys, the new build is up with the fix -- same filename.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Good catch -- Chas, you keep earning your check. :)
They're PAID to test this beauty?!!! :eek:hmy:
Is there any job more desireable than XR2 beta tester?

...oh wait, the payment is made the form of quatloos isn't it?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
They're PAID to test this beauty?!!! :eek:hmy:
Is there any job more desireable than XR2 beta tester?

...oh wait, the payment is made the form of quatloos isn't it?

Yes, they are paid in quatloos. Plus they get a 15% discount on their first Ravenstar order. :lol:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The heating algorithm seems to be pretty spot on to me. I think you've done an outstanding job.
Agree.

It does seem to heat too quickly when I'm doing something you probably don't want to know about, though. OH, :censored:

At least I haven't broken as many of these as Vanguards. . .:lol:

-----Posted Added-----

Yes, they are paid in quatloos. Plus they get a 15% discount on their first Ravenstar order. :lol:
15%?? I thought you said 50%!

-----Posted Added-----

Steve,

You had me all excited about the white paint scheme; I thought it would be shuttle white. Ah, well.

Not sure about the new hinge details. They seem low tech to me.

-----Posted Added-----

* Added Steve's new exhaust textures (replaced main/hover/RCS textures).
Love 'em
* Added code to manually play Steve's new main/retro/hover/RCS engine sounds. These may be enabled/disabled via the config file:
Love 'em
* Added MAIN/RCS/SCRAM/LOX dump exhaust stream animation.
Those are some high pressure streams! Nice! Since you're adding exhausts, any chance of an APU exhaust? Side question. Is there a way to do a burbly transparent heated air thing for exhausts rather than as particle streams?
* Added keyboard shortcuts for engine gimbaling
Pit builders will love 'em
* Added coded to make the external pressure lines decrease gradually (but rapidly) when lines disconnect vs. just dropping to zero instantly. [Yagni01's request] Note that the green pressure light goes out instantly when the line disconnects; this is by design, since the light only shows green when fuel/LOX can actually flow.
Looks more real. Any chance of a delay before the hatch light extinguishes (when operated from the switch)? Don't want to mash hoses or ground personnel with those hatches! ;)
* Added code to prevent the APU from engaging auto-shutdown when the pilot switches vessels if the APU is currently engaged by (i.e., required by) the autopilot.
Is APU autostart and autoshutdown enable/inhibit something you can add to XRVesselCtrl?

Can't stay. Back to the flightline. . .

Tachyon

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have a purposeful tendency to not look or check in on something constantly that I’m looking forward to as it will prolong the agony of waiting. I stumbled upon the XR2's first couple of posts in the early phases and my “tendency” worked. I came back about two weeks ago and had my socks blown off.

Well ... I've lost control. I'm a little giddy kid waiting for Christmas. Plotting for ways to "sneak a peek" or "open one early"

Over the last week or so I've held back adding to the "when is this going to be released" and "you know what would be cool..." ever jealous of the “beta testers”

But I can no longer contain myself. From what little I've been able to see, this project is simply off the hook. The clincher for me ...

Added MAIN/RCS/SCRAM/LOX dump exhaust stream animation. [Steve's request]
do you know how long I have silently wondered why something so simple yet totally adding to the over detail had been over looked by so many. And here in the midst of this project this nugget of gold !!! I'm tearing up here.

If I understand that statement you've created the animation [the vapor animation] of fuels when dumped from the vehicle ?!

I think I need a smoke now .... I'm done. Spent.

Karpador

Reaction score
this is more of a question. I was at mach 26.2 in the atmosphere (kick ass by the way) and my scram #1 overheated i shut it off and closed the door then it exploded (also pretty ba) how can i stop this?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
15%?? I thought you said 50%!

<vader>"I am altering the deal -- pray I don't alter it any further."</vader>

I love that line! :lol:

Those are some high pressure streams! Nice! Since you're adding exhausts, any chance of an APU exhaust? Side question. Is there a way to do a burbly transparent heated air thing for exhausts rather than as particle streams?

Hmm...I'm not sure I'd like an APU exhaust. However, Steve has requested a sort of low-volume "boil-off exhaust" like you see on the DGIV, so I may implement that if I get around to it.

Looks more real. Any chance of a delay before the hatch light extinguishes (when operated from the switch)? Don't want to mash hoses or ground personnel with those hatches! ;)

Well, the green lights only glow when the lines are connected and fuel can actually flow through that line. So when you disconnect the line, the light goes out instantly and the pressure drops rapidly to zero. I don't like the idea of a green light for a line that has been disconnected, so, sorry, that will have to do.

Believe it or not, it took me about four hours to implement that feature (it sounds simple, but it wasn't as simple as you might think.) So I think I'll take that out of your next check. :p

Is APU autostart and autoshutdown enable/inhibit something you can add to XRVesselCtrl?

Currently those settings are set via the config file and not changed by code in the ship (i.e., currently they never change in flight). I suppose I could add them to XRVesselCtrl, but do you really need to swtch those settings in-flight? You could always just select manual APU control in the config file and then control the APU directly yourself.

Can't stay. Back to the flightline. . .

Have fun, and don't torch any more prototypes! The Altea Aerospace board of directors is breathing down my neck about cost overruns as it is! :mad:

I think I'll blow off the next board meeting, jump in the latest XR2 prototype, and take Kara for a trip to Brighton Beach with a cargo bay full of Sam Adams. :beach:

But I can no longer contain myself. From what little I've been able to see, this project is simply off the hook. The clincher for me ...

do you know how long I have silently wondered why something so simple yet totally adding to the over detail had been over looked by so many. And here in the midst of this project this nugget of gold !!! I'm tearing up here.

If I understand that statement you've created the animation [the vapor animation] of fuels when dumped from the vehicle ?!

I think I need a smoke now .... I'm done. Spent.

From both Steve and myself, thank you very much! :) Hang in there just a little longer -- we are hoping to release the ship late next month or early October.

As for fuel dump animation, we are fairly limited in what we can do for vapor particle effects without killing the framerate with thousands of little particles. The fuel/LOX dump animation looks similar to the SCRAM exhaust except much smaller, of course. I'm not sure how to make it more "vaporous" without killing the frame rate.

this is more of a question. I was at mach 26.2 in the atmosphere (kick ass by the way) and my scram #1 overheated i shut it off and closed the door then it exploded (also pretty ba) how can i stop this?

Eh...close the SCRAM doors before reaching the upper atmosphere? It takes a few seconds for the doors to close, so if you don't get them closed in time you can overheat the SCRAMs and destroy the ship. It's best to close the SCRAM doors right after you finish SCRAM ascent but before you engage the main engines for orbit insertion. Then don't open the doors again until if and when you need the SCRAM engines (which you normally won't need for the duration of the mission).

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Has the gear compression been disabled?
I'm currently quite busy, so I might have missed any announcement. Sorry!

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not keeping up with the project in detail -- but I do stop by and check out this thread and the original development thread every once in a while to see work that's about ten thousand times better than the best I'll ever be able to do :(

I do have one question, though. I take it this is going to be an SSTO. Are the energy values for the propulsion systems "realistic" at all in terms of "SF Physics," i.e. has it been thought through whether the power of the engines is physically feasible? This isn't intended as a criticism, just a question of how "realistic" the underlying physics is.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Has the gear compression been disabled?
I'm currently quite busy, so I might have missed any announcement. Sorry!

Check out the Beta-1c release notes in part 2 of this post: http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.php?p=41072&postcount=254

I do have one question, though. I take it this is going to be an SSTO. Are the energy values for the propulsion systems "realistic" at all in terms of "SF Physics," i.e. has it been thought through whether the power of the engines is physically feasible? This isn't intended as a criticism, just a question of how "realistic" the underlying physics is.

Yes, it is SSTO. The high performance of the XR2 and other XR craft is nowhere near feasible using currently technology. That's why they use Naquadah as fuel. :)

Note, however, that users may set fuel load/engine thrust/fuel ISP and a bunch of other values to whatever they want (even simulating today's technology if desired) by editing the [CHEATCODES] section in XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I guess Naquadah was more stable than the old naquadria engins.

Without going too far off-topic here, in the Stargate universe Naquadria is a highly unstable form of further-refined and concentrated Naquadah, which is usually only used in building extremely powerful bombs or hyperdrive engines.

You should make an F-302.

That would be fun!

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
Yes with the 3 different engines, and the unstable hyperdrive, be pretty neat, but back on topic, this thing looks pretty slick.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow! This bird can make it to mars!!! :blink: On the DEFAULT! settings.:speakcool:

Mr. Nash had to leave Kara B-hind@KSC.:sorry: Well, she'll have a nice tan :beach: when Lee gets back. I had quite some fuel left, so with a better window, you might just make it with a two.... er... person crew. :whistle:

BTW. I don't know if this has been reported (or maybe it's by design) but if you open the fuel hatch, the SCRAM fuel line has pressure even if the selected option is AllowEarthOnlyResupply = scram. The tank doesn't fill, so it's only a panel issue. So that isn't that important.

Countdown84

XR5 Payload Wrangler
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.ryankingsbury.com
Well after my move I FINALLY got around to taking this baby for a spin.

Steve and Doug you have absolutely outdone yourselves. This ship is unbelievable. Flies like a dream! I have never seen a ship with so much attention to detail to EVERY aspect - mesh, textures, panel, features. You guys are delivering the whole package here!

I've noted 3 issues so far:

1. Distorted audio callouts. On a clean Orbiter install (plus UMMU and OrbiterSound 3.5), I start in the "Takeoff to ISS" scenario. Increase the main throttle for take off. All the voice callouts sound normal until the throttle hits 100%, then they sound distorted and muffled. They remain so until I back the main engines down to about 75%, then sound clear again. Works every time for me. I also observed this problem in my other Orbiter install with lots of addons. The same thing happens in space - always triggered by the main engine sounds going to full volume.

EDIT: This does NOT occur if I disable the custom Main Engine sound. Same behavior occurs with the hover engine sound - distortion when the custom one is used; clear callouts when it is disabled. I have a feeling the custom RCS sound probably will trigger the distortion as well, but this is less noticeable since RCS is seldom on for a long time. Not sure if this is an OrbiterSound problem or what.

2. If you take off with 100% throttle, the gear warning alarm activates almost the moment the wheels leave the ground. I don't even have time to push the gear up control before I get a warning alarm yelling at me. This seems a little quick to me, but perhaps I just shouldn't be taking off with 100% throttle :)

2. In the VC, when I look at Kara (one of the HIGHLIGHTS of the VC ;)), her left ear lobe looks kind of weird, almost scarred or something. I realize this is a teeny nitpick, but a minor texture tweak might be in order here.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
BTW. I don't know if this has been reported (or maybe it's by design) but if you open the fuel hatch, the SCRAM fuel line has pressure even if the selected option is AllowEarthOnlyResupply = scram. The tank doesn't fill, so it's only a panel issue. So that isn't that important.

That's a great catch! That is indeed a bug -- pressure should not build on any resupply lines where resupplying on that line is not possible. I just fixed that for the next build.

1. Distorted audio callouts. On a clean Orbiter install (plus UMMU and OrbiterSound 3.5), I start in the "Takeoff to ISS" scenario. Increase the main throttle for take off. All the voice callouts sound normal until the throttle hits 100%, then they sound distorted and muffled.

First, welcome back! :) Regarding the distortion you are hearing, that is odd: I just retested that here and the callouts sound perfect to me even under full throttle. Is this happening to anyone else on the testing team? I am wondering if it is a sound card or driver issue. Also, are you 100% sure it isn't simply a case of your computer's volume being up too high and overdriving the speaker inputs? (Sorry for the obvious question, but I'm just double-checking the obvious first. :))

2. If you take off with 100% throttle, the gear warning alarm activates almost the moment the wheels leave the ground. I don't even have time to push the gear up control before I get a warning alarm yelling at me. This seems a little quick to me, but perhaps I just shouldn't be taking off with 100% throttle :)

Yes, takeoff was discussed a little while ago before you were back. The XR2 accelerates very hard (especially with no payload in the bay), and so you have to throttle back to about 40% right after the "Rotate" callout. Different pilots have different favorite techniques for liftoff, though: I like to hit ALT-S to engage Airspeed Hold just after the "Rotate" callout, rotate the nose up, turn to my ascent heading, and then open the throttles again.

2. In the VC, when I look at Kara (one of the HIGHLIGHTS of the VC ;)), her left ear lobe looks kind of weird, almost scarred or something. I realize this is a teeny nitpick, but a minor texture tweak might be in order here.

You'll have to yell at my ace artist about that. :) I suspect it's just an artifact of the mesh and texture, but we'll see what Steve says... Anyway, there is a simple workaround: just keep your eyes on the rest of Kara instead. :beach:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Countdown84 said:
1. Distorted audio callouts. On a clean Orbiter install (plus UMMU and OrbiterSound 3.5), I start in the "Takeoff to ISS" scenario. Increase the main throttle for take off. All the voice callouts sound normal until the throttle hits 100%, then they sound distorted and muffled.
Regarding the distortion you are hearing, that is odd: I just retested that here and the callouts sound perfect to me even under full throttle. Is this happening to anyone else on the testing team? I am wondering if it is a sound card or driver issue. Also, are you 100% sure it isn't simply a case of your computer's volume being up too high and overdriving the speaker inputs? (Sorry for the obvious question, but I'm just double-checking the obvious first. :))
I have the same experience. Volume is not high, and its not consistently on the same callouts. Normally I can get it during or right after takeoff. I disabled the custom engine sound and it didn't recur.

On another note (sic), I've been shooting approaches with full payload and really like the aileron tweak. I was wondering about the gear collapse energy. Is that fixed or 'roll the dice'? The reason I ask is I noticed that I had many touchdowns at up to ~3.9 m/s but one failure at 3.18 m/s.