XR2 Public Release Candidate Testing

Cobalt

Reaction score
I guess I did, since it's there in the downloaded file. Huh. Don't remember editing any lines to that point. Oh well, sorry for the confusion.

ETA: I'd like to say that this is one gorgeous machine. I'm a terrible tester, so I'm just sort of playing with it, and I'll try to report anything off I find, but this is some stellar work.

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is a beautiful ship. I am insanely jealous of your modelling and coding abilities.

I notice that the APU needs to be running in order to use the linear translation thrusters. Is this correct? It is not one of the APU-dependant systems listed in the manual.

Great work!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I notice that the APU needs to be running in order to use the linear translation thrusters. Is this correct? It is not one of the APU-dependant systems listed in the manual.
That seems not to be correct...

The SCRAMs are so strong that I nearly had a hull breach.

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
This is a beautiful ship. I am insanely jealous of your modelling and coding abilities.

Thanks. Remember, though, that Steve ("Coolhand") did the modeling and texturing -- I just coded it. :)

Now that's a weird one. Are you running in a clean installation? Remember rules #2 and #3:

2) If you find a problem, please retest in a clean Orbiter installation before submitting a bug report. Based on past experience, if the problem only occurs with third-party add-ons installed 99.9% of the time it is caused by a buggy third-party add-on. If you submit a bug report, please state whether the problem occurs in a clean Orbiter installation with only the XR2, OrbiterSound 3.5, and UMMu 1.5 installed.

3) Please be as specific as possible about the problem and provide detailed steps on how to reproduce it.

If you can reproduce the problem in a clean installation, please post a step-by-step on how to reproduce it. The RCS thrusters are not tied to the APU in any way.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
and I know you probably wont add this but why have you not made a paint selector ?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The SCRAMs are so strong that I nearly had a hull breach.
As we all discovered. Scroll back through the thread for suggestions on handling, especially takeoffs. With no payload, this thing SCREAMS.

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
looks nice a nice craft... redownloading after "Corrupt file" error came up :(ETA: 54 mins

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
If the file is corrupt, just use it as a base for the torrent. It will then only download the chunks which are corrupted.
(make sure to recheck the file after download)

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
One big problem with the XR2 (as well as the XR5 and XR1) is that when the SCRAM doors are open, my frame rate goes from around 60 FPS to a miserable 17 FPS. Doug, you really need to fix this.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
This is odd. No one reported this before and the drop itself seems pretty unlikely.
Please answer the following questions:

Does this occur on a clean install?
Does this happen on the ground, in the air, in LEO, in space or everywhere?
Do you have any similar drops in framerates with any other ship?

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Ship works perfect on my end after a good bit of flying. The only thing I've noticed is the gear up and down callouts aren't effected by the master voice callout volume setting. As for RCS translation and APU, I don't have any issue with it when APU is off so seems normal here.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Congratulations, Doug and Steve, on a really awesome ship. One question for Doug, is there a way, you can you turn off some of the door sounds ? I like the ones for the internal hatches, but not for the external ones, as I don't think you could hear them as well, if at all. No big deal, just a personal preference.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The only thing I've noticed is the gear up and down callouts aren't effected by the master voice callout volume setting.

That's a good catch; I just fixed that for RC2.

Congratulations, Doug and Steve, on a really awesome ship. One question for Doug, is there a way, you can you turn off some of the door sounds ? I like the ones for the internal hatches, but not for the external ones, as I don't think you could hear them as well, if at all. No big deal, just a personal preference.

There is no separate enable/disable category for door sounds. By door sounds, do you mean voice callouts or sound effects? If it's voice callouts you can just move or delete any wav files you don't like (found in your Sound\XR2Ravenstar directory). If you want to silence sound effects for external doors, however, you can't silence those because those wav files are used by multiple doors.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Also in the VC when you look and hit F8 to switch to the MFD's the camera stays the same position.

Actually, it doesn't: in VC mode the camera is at the pilot's eyepoint (unless you switch to Kara, in which case it's at her eyepoint), and when you press F8 to switch to "glass cockpit" mode the camera moves along the X axis (albeit slightly) to the centerline of the ship, just like in 2D mode.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oh ok, thanks Doug. Got to orbit no problem.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If someone hasn't mentionned anything about the handling with a single engine, this ship should really include a thrust limiter when only 1 engine is operational.

In every flight I've made, it always results in either total loss of control or a 20+ sideslip angle with 20+ bank angle to maintain strait flight.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
If someone hasn't mentionned anything about the handling with a single engine, this ship should really include a thrust limiter when only 1 engine is operational.

In every flight I've made, it always results in either total loss of control or a 20+ sideslip angle with 20+ bank angle to maintain strait flight.

First and foremost did Doug clearly said no feature requests, but meh... :mad:
It would be completely irresponsible to include such a limiter. One would only fly with one engine in case of emergency. You as a Pilot should be trained to actualy be able to fly the ship and handle it in an emergency. That means beeing so smart to either bank and sideslip, maybe gimbal the engine and/or throttle down the remaining engine.
Some keen pilots even adjust the throttles and gimbals individualy in order to perform extreme maneuveres. It would be a pitty if that would not be possible any more.

Happy Orbiting

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Everything seems great so far! Spent about 2 hours flying her around tonight. Not one CTD, or notable bug.

However, the attitude and AoA hold APs seem to totally ignore yaw/sideslip. Was this intentional? S-turns while re-entering are fairly tricky as I have to set the bank in the AP, and manually yaw to keep the sideslip low.

Beautiful ship! Lands like a dream. It sets down on the tarmac beatifully.