Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
This information is in the Manual and very easy to find, even without searching for "skin".
It is pretty straight forward, note the line in the scenario file starting with "SKIN".
All available skins are in <orbiter>\Textures\XR2Ravenstar\Skins\

According to the manual's table of contents, this information is on page 69.
Installing and Using a Custom Skin.......................................................69

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
new main gear complete and textured...
Beautiful, Steve! Love the detail as well as the new tires, including the flattening where its bearing the load. Wonder if that will go away in the air? ;)

BTW, does Kara ever blink? :p

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Beautiful, Steve! Love the detail as well as the new tires, including the flattening where its bearing the load. Wonder if that will go away in the air? ;)
I think that this achieved by setting the touchdown points just a little low, so that the rest of the wheel mesh is actually just below the surface? If that is the case, then it would go away when you take off. :Smoke&mirrors: :speakcool:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com

yes, as tblaxland surmised, the wheel flattening is just an illusion caused by the ground plane intersecting with the tyre mesh - an old trick really... as long as that is replicated by doug in orbiter you'll have the effect of the tyres being flattened on the ground and fully inflated in flight.

BTW, does Kara ever blink? :p

No.

Thanks guys, it's nice to know my work to take the detailing to the next level is appreciated.:)

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
Really love this bird. When can we expect the next release? not that im complaing, it kicks donkey as is :p

Anywho, most of my recent flights have been with the XR2, i was *this* close to deorbiting and landing at my base with it, but then time accel caused it to smack into the ground....
Good news though, i managed to acompalish my first precision re-entry/landing later today in the good 'ol DG Mk4.
Can't beat the XR-# and the DG.

Dman1410

Reaction score
when i flew the XR2 i got it in orbit de-orbited and did a risky landing all in 30mins but when i was landing i didn't realize that i used all the fuel takeing off so i was landing with my hover engines but then the alarm went off i checked and i saw the fuel was at 1000 and falling so i used the RCS fuel and i managed to get down to about 300 ft but i was still to high so i used the rest of the fuel to accelerate with the main engines put on attitude hold, pitch about 5.0 ran out of fuel then put the scram engines on and had a soft landing. now that was crazy!!!

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
I tried a reentry with the XR2 today, and it was my first (almost) successful reentry, and all done manually, without AeroBrake MFD or autopilots! :) I managed to deorbit, entered the atmosphere at AoA of about 40 degrees and started decelarating. My hull heated a bit, but never exceeded 2000 degrees. When I was at an altitude of about 30 km, I realized I'm few thousand kilometers from target base, so I started cruising at 1,5 km/s. It all went great, until I decided to descend and decelarate a bit, because my coolant temperature was too high, and tried to brake with retro thrusters... Well, now I know that opening retro covers at mach 3 isn't a good idea :p

Dman1410

Reaction score
bet you made a bit of a mess and i would also like to know where Altea getting the money to make all these ships personally i think they've acquired a prototype wormhole generator or got there hands on a stargate

stargate-sg1-06.jpg

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
And obviously you haven't recieved your bill from altea yet....
After that, you won't need to ask where they got their money from.

Dman1410

Reaction score
er..... yeah..... i was hoping that altea wouldn't notice the amount of XR vessels that have been mysteriously disapearing into the ocean near Habana space centre not that i have anything to do with it......

voice in background: "sir what are you going to do with all the XR2's and 5's that are in the Accara Aerospace research factory"

Whispers: "Alfred im talking to Altea at the moment discussing the disaperences of the missing ships right now"

anyway i don't know where they've all gone and Alfred is refering to the model ships in my basement.....uhum....well i'll keep in touch
END TRANSMISSION ;)

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
I've managed to do a KSC->Moon->KSC flight, including landing, successfully! I'm proud to say that it's the first time I've ever done a successful re-entry in any ship (that means re-enter and land at a base), so I'm very pleased with that. I mean, the fact that the final approach for the base on the Moon involved landing and driving at 1.2 km/s due to lack of fuel, but that's how it's normaly done, right? :p

Overall, a very fun ship to fly.

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
Just more fiddling around with the XR2 today - very nice touch that the Ravenstar can feed off the fuel and LOX tanks added to the cargo bay. Makes longer flights easier :)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
New front landing gear, mostly untextured at this point, features a steerable nosewheel - the previous release has a static wheel.

Attachments

• newlandinggear11.jpg
    newlandinggear11.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 81
  • newlandinggear12.jpg
    newlandinggear12.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 83

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It's still too early to decide on issues like nosewheel steering yet -- XR2 mk II coding probably won't start for a few months yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.