Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
some further mods to the ship for mk2, [...] The cockpit also has a re-design with a lower, sleeker profile, revised glazing pattern and the whole blister blends into the fuselage in a smoother way.

Wow, I definitely like the new cockpit window layout (as seen from the outside), well done! It seems much more 'realistic' to me. Also like the new tail modification with the tail 'cone' in the center.

One thing;
While flying the XR2-Mk1 sometimes in the past few weeks, I noticed that when using the rudder exclusively (during flight), it will cause the plane to yaw/slip as expected.
However, what I'm missing a little here, is the side effect caused by yawing: rolling. I know, to roll you should use the aileros, but it seems that the XR2 won't roll at all when using rudder only. Maybe it's also just something with Orbiter's flight model, I'll give it a try in other Orbiter planes too.

Maybe it's because I'm too much used to flying planes with a larger wingspan compared to the fuselage length, but in reality this side-effect seems to be much stronger.

regards,
mcduck

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It would probably compromise the strength of the wings (a lot), but how about this? (rear view; top is with radiators closed, bottom is with radiators open):p You could use only the wingtips if you wanted to, of course. Or you could do something similar to the vertical stabilizers.

XR2 meets X-wing and TIE fighter! Looks wicked, but I agree structural integrity might be overly compromised.

Thinking along the lines of the Cargo Hoist system on the BSP4, what if the rad panels are fitted just inside the bay doors. You then open the doors, rotate the panels up and back on a shoulder joint to lie at some angle (30 degrees?) near the spine of the XR2, then close the payload doors again? Keeps the panels away from the payload area if you are moving things around, but still an appreciable distance from the skin of the vessel.

Cornflake

Reaction score
It really needs a better turning performence. Currently I'm using a shuttle tow vehicle with an attached URMS that grapples the XR-2 to get to the runway:

That's a good idea! :) Which addon is that tow vehicle from, astrosammy?

Unfortunately it is pretty much impossible to make nosewheel steering as responsive as I'd like due to how it is handled by the Orbiter core (the SetSurfaceFrictionCoeff method). What you can do is simply fire the port or starboard engine (i.e., just one engine) while turning right or left, respectively; that will help turn the ship.

Well, most other Orbiter crafts I've used have pretty decent turning performance... but maybe that's simply because of their smaller size. It's too bad Orbiter doesn't handle this differently... but oh well this is a minor issue. There are too many great things about the XR-2 to complain! I did fire one engine at a time, it did help a little bit. Using the wheel brakes, airspeed autopilot, and slow turning speed as wehaveaproblem mentioned should allow me to conquer the XR-2's ground handling. After all, Orbiter is about mastering the little skills as you practice!

And one last thing: Can I give a word of advice to doug and coolhand? Well, I'm going to anyway... keep in mind because this is such a popular craft everyone under the sun is going to suggest, well, everything under the sun. Besides bugs, I think your main focus should be on getting the Active VC up and running. You know what the say about things like this: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" And the XR-2 isn't really broken, so try not to change the forumlae too mcuh! :cheers:

Last edited:

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
only thing I would like different on the XR2 is well.... nothing... Lack of payloads does make it a transport craft in my fleet atm. It is fun to put something into LEO, Space, on a journey somewhere, but when I get there, I want something else to do... One can only launch so many DGIV satellites into orbit before well.... blah

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
In my experience it has plenty of power for orbital and just enough for lunar missions... It would be cool to carry a bigger living space as an option to the 2 fuel tanks.
kitchen and in the rear the W.C...
With a LEO rendezvous for refueling one could easily reach mars... That is my next Goal...
(tomorrow I will upload a playback of Iss Docking in just over one hour... with plenty fuel to spare...)
Also a pair of small windows over head in the cockpit to be able to see the horizon to the sides while banking at 70 degrees....
I LOVE flying this thing... thanks a lot, look forward to the full release.

Keatah

Reaction score
After looking a few posts back I like the mkII_09.jpg or mkII_22.jpg 'versions' best. I think that three engines and redesign of the radiator would make the ship different enough to warrant a new class like the xr-3 or something else. 3 engines and such a complex radiator make the craft look too busy!!

It's very easy to take a good design and start making so many changes to it that the original is best. Leave a good thing alone! Everyone that plays Orbiter at my club always makes a reference to this ship as being the best add-on.

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
I definately agree, that the XR2 is Orbiter's best ship overall! Doug and Steve really did brilliant work there!

@Keatah: I actually wouldn't say, that the three-engine craft would be an XR3. I would designate it XR2.5 or XR2B, as I think that a new XR ship begins there, where it's shape is changed/a new shape is created.

The XR3 could be probably big enough to carry an XR0 runabout (which is also yet to be created)- an idea I had in the M6 times. And of course, @willy88, I would also love to see internal EPS and ECS!

But I think, that XR2 is the most excellent present for this years Christmas! :lol:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
3 engines and such a complex radiator make the craft look too busy!!

It's very easy to take a good design and start making so many changes to it that the original is best. Leave a good thing alone! Everyone that plays Orbiter at my club always makes a reference to this ship as being the best add-on.
I prefer lines of the two engines, as well, since she's already pretty zippy. They could be "uprated" to handle the fuselage stretch. Kind of like the Hornet and Super Hornet - a little less performance for lots more capability.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
One tiny change I would kind of like to see would be payload bay windows at the aft end of the crew compartment akin to the shuttle. I know it'd be useless with the CHM in the bay, but it'd be more realistic when you're working with a payload in the bay using an urms.

dirtyname

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks...

The RavenStar is just incredible in all respects.

Tonight (or actually, this morning...) I took off, docked with the ISS, refueled, aligned planes with the moon, launched the spare Shuttle-A from Havana, docked with RavenStar, refueled again (aligning planes with the moon used a lot of fuel), then did a long burn toward the moon.

Next up, lunar orbit injection, lowered orbit, aligned planes with Brighton Beach, de-orbit burn and slowly descended toward Pad 6. Descent hold autopilot was a beauty here, the landing was super-smooth and got wheel stop just short of the center of the pad, but fully on.

Depressurized the airlock, opened the nose cone, and did an EVA to the very end of the Brighton Beach rail road. My co-pilot then flew the RavenStar to pick me up and save me a long walk back.

Once back aboard and refueld at Brighton Beach, I went max hover engines until my vertical speed read +250m/s, about 18km above the surface of the moon. Hover engine shutdown, RCS pitch up and pointed the nose at the Earth, maximum thrust from the main engines until I broke orbit with the moon.

Halfway home, made a significant course correction but found myself almost dead on the same plane as the ISS.

That stroke of fortune nearly killed me...

My fuel was getting fairly low, and a dock and refuel at the ISS was tempting. But my orbital plane was just too far out of whack and my fuel just too low to risk it. Instead, I cross fed the RCS into the mains, made a few minor adjustments, checked the Aerobrake MFD, and did a de-orbit burn just west of Australia.

Expecting to need 40 degrees pitch up most of the way home, I found that attitude would leave me well short of KSC, so I stuck the pitch at 30 and hit the KillRot Autopilot.

The sun came over the horizon just as I crossed over the west coast of Oregon, screaming toward the Cape on the other side of the content...truly a picture perfect moment.

The Aerobrake MFD was nearly dead on target, but as I clipped the Gulf of Mexico and started getting into the lower atmosphere, I started get some wild pitch fluctuations.

Uh oh.

I hit the Attitude Hold autopilot and crossed my fingers. The APU kicked on and started pumping fuel to balance out the RavenStar as KSC came into view...

At 75,000 feet and Mach 3.5, I crossed over the the runway where I started my journey and as I crossed the east coast, I put her into a slow right roll. A G-load master caution light came on and I eased off on the stick as I was pulling a lot of pitch trying to bring her around.

As I turned through 270 degrees I was now southwest of the runway, so I kept banking around for a full 360 turn, headed east again but slowing nicely.

The subsonic alert startled me, and was a nice touch... I banked back left as the runway lined up and checked altitude...a little high at 5,000 meters according to the callout.

Time for some airbrakes (CTRL-B thank you very much) and the RavenStar slowed down even more as she lined up with the runway. I aimed the velocity vector for the first set of lights on the near end of the runway, right in the swamp and came in at 15-20 degrees pitch. With 2000 meters of altitude, the gear came down and locked, and I started pitching up.

At the threshhold, I flared the nose and the RavenStar settled right onto the runway centerline for one of the prettiest landings I've ever made.

Wheel stop, close the speedbrake, open the cabin hatch and pop a cold one.

AWESOME. So awesome I had to come here, register and write this post just so I could thank you for the incredible machine that is the RavenStar.

Keep up the fine work...the only thing missing from my experience was the TV crews interviewing me after my flight to the moon.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Thanks for all your kind comments and input everyone.

regarding the radiator panel suggestions, i'd gone with a 'fan' array which pops out of the upper surface of the wing... but I decided i wanted a change from a hinged panel, something which doesn't interfere too much with the ships lines. I also figured that the vertical stabilisers were the place to put the radiators since i wanted the wing for fuel storage and other cooling systems. So with that in mind i decided to make them extend from the leading edge of the stabilisers - taking the tps with them. Though not clear in the mockup, the radiative suface willl only be on the upper part of the stabiliser.

Attachments

• MkII_26.jpg
    MkII_26.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 178

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Looking nice. But one question. In that mock up, it looks like both fans come out port direction. Will it not be a symetrical action? Or am I misreading that pic?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about... perhaps the angle is causing an optical illusion?

here's another image.

Attachments

• MkII_27.jpg
    MkII_27.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
ahh, so they slide back revealing the white sections?
It was an optical illusion, I'm guessing caused by the fact you haven't modeled the inners and I was seing through the far side of the tips...

looking nice now I understand it.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Again, its not actually needed with the XR2's current settings, or any other XR and this time the additional fuel was meant to be internal, not carried underneath. infact i doubt anyone really bothers to use the additional fuel options that were included for carrying fuel in the bay, because you don't really need it.

Didn't see this until now, but wanted to point out that I use the fuel in the bay option quite a bit and I love the feature! :cheers:

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am admittedly late to the party but here's my $0.02. The XR-2 is a great ship. Keep the twin engine format with the SCRAM assist to orbit. I like the new cockpit profile as well. I'm not sure about the need for payload bay windows with the payload bay camera. The new radiators are elegant but what of the structural integrity of the vertical stabilizers and the space for actuators for the rudder and radiator mechanisms? As to the turning radius, how does DanSteph get the DG-IV to turn more tightly? It's not smooth but better than the XR-2.

Looks great, flies great, spotty ground handling (so we'll keep it in the skies where it belongs!). Can't wait for the fully implemented VC.

Great work, don't change it too much!

Ben

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
fleshing out the model for the radiators, everythings capped off and pretty much 'solid'.. textures are a stand in at the moment, they'll look more 'techy' when i've time to complete them.

re: the payload bay windows... i'll see what i can do, the interior still needs some re-modelling and i quite like the idea. I'm not a big fan of the floating invisble camera for the bay and i've thought of adding a telescoping camera mount to the bay. it does serve a practical purpose of giving an overview of the bay, i'm not sure if windows would replace that as functionally.

Attachments

• MkII_30.jpg
    MkII_30.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 149

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
One suggestion I'd like to make while on the topic of the radiator is thus: Can there be some way -- perhaps by means of a DGIV-esque auto air intake system -- of keeping the coolant temp low while flying in the atmosphere. Currently (or as far as I'm aware) the only way to cool the coolant is to open the radiator; which can only be done at low DNP or in space. If someone is flying a long duration atmospheric flight (which I often enjoy, so don't assume no one does), the coolant heats up after about 30 minutes or so and everyone asphyxiates. Woe.

Just thought a simple (even invisible) air-intake door could open up at 60kts or something to simulate the cooling of the coolant.

Great ship otherwise, can't fault it!

Status
Not open for further replies.