Status
Not open for further replies.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
what does the L stand for?

I wouldn't think of it as an actual production model, you could build a cheaper ship by using a more simple design, more a one off.

Or perhaps in production as in a way of recycling the vehicle - say its no longer re-entry worthy after so many thousands of hours but again, you'd maybe just take the bits you need from it and have a more simple frame.

Either way, it ends up as a kind of scrapheap challenge spaceship decades after its manufacture.
Lunar[tic] ? Loonie ? :p

-----Post Added-----

hmmm... sort of. but thats more of a modified classic, it's still essentially a YT1300. Something more like this old peice of artwork...
Is that your pod racer, Steve?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
inspired by the 'kliper' project and the XR0 concept that has been discussed before... just a concept model... exactly how small a ship can you pack all delta glider features into and what should be left out or added?

This one fits neatly into the xr2's cargo bay, with a little room to spare.

Attachments

• XR0_01.jpg
    XR0_01.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 121
  • XR0_02.jpg
    XR0_02.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 103

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Awesome :speakcool:.

Like a sort of XR version of the shuttle PB?

EDIT:
Sorry, didn't see you previous post. That thing is cool. I'd love to fly something like that in Orbiter, provided it had a good enough VC.

How about this for a novel:
A group of people are stranded on Mars, and try to get back to Earth, or somewhere, and they cobble their ride together out of old bits of spacecraft.

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hmmm... sort of. but thats more of a modified classic, it's still essentially a YT1300. Something more like this old peice of artwork...
Whoa... that would be a :speakcool: ship to fly in orbiter! Like what was said before: Very reminiscent of a Star Wars episode 1 pod-racer. I would like to see that thing modeled in Orbiter (AFTER the XR-2 is finished; no pressure ;))

This may be getting cliched but VERY WELL DONE with the XR-2!

That was my $0.20

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Whoa... that would be a :speakcool: ship to fly in orbiter! Like what was said before: Very reminiscent of a Star Wars episode 1 pod-racer. I would like to see that thing modeled in Orbiter (AFTER the XR-2 is finished; no pressure ;))

This may be getting cliched but VERY WELL DONE with the XR-2!

That was my $0.20

I've no intentions of bringing the junkfighter to orbiter, it was just an example of a junkyard style, sorry.

And thankyou.:)

T.neo, like all good themes, that ones been used before many times i'm sure.

Cheers,

Attachments

• XR0_03.jpg
    XR0_03.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 61
  • XR0_04.jpg
    XR0_04.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 56
  • XR0_06.jpg
    XR0_06.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 58
  • XR0_05.jpg
    XR0_05.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 60

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
wow that model looks nice :) will you be getting that in orbiter ?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I wouldn't be posting the images in here if i wasn't...:) if dougs interested i'd develop it into an orbiter model...

Attachments

• XR2_0_07.jpg
    XR2_0_07.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 145

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok it looks good :) better than my plane that at the moment is just a wing :(

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Stamp of approval! I love tiny ships. It's great having a mothership that you can leave with a smaller ship and go down to any moon or planets surface for small errands!

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
heh. well it should be fully featured... propulsion features rocket main engines and Pulse Detonation airbreathers - good from 0 to mach 6. here's the start of the detailing, the wing fold mechanism and engine positions...

Attachments

• XR0_08.jpg
    XR0_08.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 79

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I am not easily amazed...

But your XR2 has amazed me to a ridiculous point... I can't put your ship down....

And now these!!! what are you doing to us MAN.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
heh. well it should be fully featured... propulsion features rocket main engines and Pulse Detonation airbreathers - good from 0 to mach 6. here's the start of the detailing, the wing fold mechanism and engine positions...

So that means it can take off like regular aircraft, without the use of rocket engines? Sweet!

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
inspired by the 'kliper' project and the XR0 concept that has been discussed before... just a concept model... exactly how small a ship can you pack all delta glider features into and what should be left out or added?

This one fits neatly into the xr2's cargo bay, with a little room to spare.

It appears it could fit into the XR2 bay... is that true?

I believe it is. :)

Looks great, Coolhand, as always.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Coolhand, that thing is niiiice, reminds me of the "goblin" concept fighter aircraft that was to be stowed in the bomb bay of a B-36.

How many is it supposed to seat?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
hehe yes its intended as a companion vessel to the XR2 - designed from the off to fit into the cargo bay. I've gone back and stretched the design out a little bit and introduced a nose cone fold, so the space in the bay is used a little more efficiently and the design is a little less stumpy.

I suggested to doug some time ago about making PD engines perhaps for the xr2 mk 2. they are an interesting alternative to scrams as they operate in a totally different regime.

Cheers. :cheers:

Attachments

• XR0_09.jpg
    XR0_09.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 90
  • XR0_10.jpg
    XR0_10.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 91
  • XR0_11.jpg
    XR0_11.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 95

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like the nose cone fold. Maybe that could be a hatch that allows crew transfer form the XR2 to the craft in the bay?

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
After crashing a LOT of DGIVs and XR class vehicles (the heavy load XR2 steam catapult STO tests are a prime example) I've toyed around with taking a DG class mesh and cobbling together a six legged lander version, or a flatbed airlaunch vehicle from the parts... anyway, i LOVE the look of the XR0 concept, and can't get enough of the XR2.

Sooooo, not to sound unngrafteful, or anything, and not intending to add to your already bloated suggestions file, but:

Can the XR2 come in a few different version? like reduced sized passanger compartment for more fuel/equipment (having a flight engineer position like on early jet aircraft would be nice - and an excuse for more panels and VC gribbleness) Adding the fuzzy dice in numerous colours, most of all, i would LOVE to see a XR2 varient that has a re-entry capable ejection capsule (ala F-111) - some kind of emergency active hull cooling button on the panel (Only allowed to hit the button a few times - takes some of your LOX, pumps it through the hull and vents it in order to cool the hull) would also be great. Would make it a bit easier for semi-nuggets like myself to re-enter without blowing up every five minutess.

Anyway - will the XR0 be made? Any ETAs on its release and the full completeion of the XR2?

The PD engine on the XR0 - donuts on a rope contrails?

Finally, with the XR2 repaint kit, can you add a generic smoke/dirt layer in the same fashion as the DGIV repaint kit?

Right, i better stop stuffing your suggestion box. Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.