Status
Not open for further replies.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Face. Thanks for that. I am getting an error
The application has failed to start because VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. Re Installing Application may problem.

I am clearly missing more than my marbles.

Yeah, that's a bit strange. Using the XRSound.lib causes a link error in Visual Studio 2015 regarding some __except_handler4_common being unresolved, so I had to include the dynamic linking despite having the compiler set to /MT, as required by the very XRSound.lib itself.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Running: XRSound-BETA4; however, I have noticed this as an issue in previous versions but never thought to write it down.

Bug: Orbiter crashes on scenario unload. The crash occurs after multiple scenario loads on a single client instance.

<...snip...>

Thanks for the info! I was able reproduce the problem, and I've tracked it down and I'm working on a fix. Long-story-short, XRSound keeps track of all vessels in Orbiter, and that list was not being reset to empty as it should have been whenever the user exits to the launch pad. Over time, then, if you relaunch a scenario enough times (for me it was ~16 times), the vessel in focus uses one of the same vessel handles (pointers) that Orbiter created in one of the previous ~16 runs. Since that handle is already in XRSound's list with a NULL XRSoundEngine pointer, XRSound thinks that vessel should not have default sounds played for it, and so no sounds are played for it.

The reason it crashes on exit to the launch pad after that, then, is because XRSound goes to free up the global music slot, but that slot was never loaded during that scenario run because no vessel that had default sounds enabled was in focus at any time in that latest Orbiter session (this is a separate bug from the first one, but the first one uncovered it).

So the fix, which I'm working on now since it's Presidents Day here and so I happen to be off work, is two-fold:
1) Reset the list of all vessels in Orbiter to empty whenever the user exits to the launch pad, and
2) Check whether the music sound context is NULL when the Orbiter simulation exits to the launch pad.

Since this bug is pretty serious, I'll upload BETA-5 once I have this fix implemented and tested. Thanks again for the good catch! :tiphat:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Found the bug and fixed it in the linked DLL. Problem was that I've forgotten to exclude the default msvcrt.lib in the project. Please try downloading it again.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
  • Added XRSound plugin module description and category to the Orbiter launch pad Modules page (requested by kuddel).
  • Added a new SilenceOfSpace config setting (defaults to true) that, when disabled, does not fade external sounds for static pressure; i.e., you can then hear the engines fire in external views in vacuum (requested by kuddel).
  • Added a new WarningGearIsUpAltitude config setting; default is 275 meters for normal vessels and 90 meters (300 feet) for Atlantis (requested by kuddel).
  • Added default sounds "Sonic Boom Twin.wav", "Sonic Boom Twin Loud.wav", and "Sonic Boom Twin Distant.wav" and set Atlantis to use "Sonic Boom Twin.wav" by default (Sonic Boom Twin file provided by kuddel).
  • Tweaked Atlantis config to disable the "wheels up" callout on launch.

Thanks a lot for all this! It's even more than I expected :thumbup:
And the 300 feet for WarningGearIsUpAltitude seems reasonable as well!
See Shuttle Crew Operations Manual Secton 2.14-2:
The landing gear is deployed at 300 ± 100 feet and at a maximum of 312 knots equivalent airspeed (KEAS).
Thanks again, I'll try to take a look at the current version as soon ass I find myself some time.

:cheers:, Kuddel

LeePalmer

Reaction score
Hi Face.
The new sound..dll sadly does not completely fix it. For an xp machine.

The VCRUNTIME140.dll has gone.
But.. I have two
InitializeCricicalSectionEx errors for your new dll and the XRSound.dll.

I tried to attach a my log.
:)

Cheers Lee

PS what do you use to make a scrolly insert for log? Code Box. ok.

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    2.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
BETA-5 Released

Hi all,

I just released XRSound BETA-5, same download links as before. Changes are:

• Fixed bug with sounds not playing and a crash after many scenario relaunches (reported by Samuel Edwards).
  • Deleted "Error: Universal MMU not installed.wav" voice callout since it is obsolete now (reported by Woo482).
  • Fixed enum off-by-one sequence in comments in XRSound.h (reported by Face).

I also ran a test of 40 exit-to-launch pad and scenario relaunches, and it works fine now.

If you would rather just download the new XRSound.dll only, you can get it here.

Thanks again for all your help beta-testing!

@Woo482 / @Xyon -- BETA-5 source is up, same password and link.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi Face.

But.. I have two

I tried to attach a my log.
:)

Cheers Lee

PS what do you use to make a scrolly insert for log? Code Box. ok.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to run XRSound.dll on a Windows XP machine -- XRSound makes some Windows system calls that are only present in Windows Vista or newer. However, your existing hardware should be able to run Windows 7 or Windows 10, from what I've read. That would still requiring obtaining the upgraded OS itself, though.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

But.. I have two

Well, that's probably because the sound bridge uses XRSound, and XRSound is - as dbeachy1 already explained - not XP compatible.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 ----------

I just released XRSound BETA-5, same download links as before.

Sound bridge DLL and link has been updated accordingly.

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

If you would rather just download the new XRSound.dll only, you can get it here.

Would it be possible to create such a minimal package also for developers on updates? I mean header file and libs in addition to the plugin itself.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Would it be possible to create such a minimal package also for developers on updates? I mean header file and libs in addition to the plugin itself.

Yes, I'll update my packaging script to generate that. Should be ready for the next release.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Solar Serenity has been stuck in my head all day. Quite catchy.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
O-F Staff Note:
XRSound 1.00 and the new XR vessels have now shipped, so I am closing this thread. Please report any new issues or questions in the release thread. Thanks again for all your great help during the beta test period! :tiphat:

Status
Not open for further replies.