Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Experienced Orbiternaut.

Votes: 17 22.1%

• Total voters

Talon1

Semi-Intermediate Add-on Dev.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I've been playing Orbiter for 3-4 years now, but I'm still not very good. So I put "Orbiternaut".

YAY!!!! 3 POSTS TO 200 POSTS, YEAH!!!! :woohoo:

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Gah, I'm such a n00b here. lol

I *just* now managed to do my first successful launch from the runway to the ISS and dock.

Even then I had to do it with the Non-Spherical Gravity Sources and Gravity Gradients turned off (everything else on though). And it was with the Stock DeltaGlider too, making it that much easier still.

But it was still an accomplishment for me and I was glad to have done it. lol

Other than that, just re-entry and landing in the Stock DG, Stock Atlantis, DG-XR1, and XR2, and made it to the moon and back in the Stock DG as well.

Pretty much have the hang of using Orbit, Align Planes, and Transfer MFDs (I like Surface and Map too). So reaching orbit, changing my orbital plane, and getting to the moon is now pretty well under my belt I'd say. And in atmo is well honed, I come from prop-sim-land. lol

Next I should try docking with the gradient torque on and see how that goes. Then hold my breath and go for the insanity of non-spherical sources (I still don't quite know how to line that one up when the bloody target's alt [at any given reference point] keeps changing as it orbits.... :blink: )

Star explorer

Reaction score
I put Orbiternaut because i can get into orbit, dock with mostly anything in earths orbit, go to the moon. still can't reenter at a specfic base though but i guess i still qualafy as an orbitnaut. not sure if this counts but i can make simple scenarios using only notepad and make simple surface bases using notepad

Talon1

Semi-Intermediate Add-on Dev.
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I *just* now managed to do my first successful launch from the runway to the ISS and dock.

Even then I had to do it with the Non-Spherical Gravity Sources and Gravity Gradients turned off (everything else on though). And it was with the Stock DeltaGlider too, making it that much easier still.

But it was still an accomplishment for me and I was glad to have done it. lol

Other than that, just re-entry and landing in the Stock DG, Stock Atlantis, DG-XR1, and XR2, and made it to the moon and back in the Stock DG as well.

Pretty much have the hang of using Orbit, Align Planes, and Transfer MFDs (I like Surface and Map too). So reaching orbit, changing my orbital plane, and getting to the moon is now pretty well under my belt I'd say. And in atmo is well honed, I come from prop-sim-land. lol

Next I should try docking with the gradient torque on and see how that goes. Then hold my breath and go for the insanity of non-spherical sources (I still don't quite know how to line that one up when the bloody target's alt [at any given reference point] keeps changing as it orbits.... :blink: )
DUDE!!! If ANYONE is a noob here, it's me!!!! I can't even do a quarter of what you can do!!!:dry:

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I called myself advanced. I haven't done everything on every planet, but I've done nearly everything at least once. I can fly a shuttle mission manually, but it's so low powered that I find it boring. I've been to the moon. I've landed on asteroids. I've done trips from Mars to Earth, with an aerocapture directly from a hyperbolic orbit to LEO. I don't use aerobrake MFD, I do all my reentries by the seat of my pants, and (almost) always land safely, though rarely deadstick (which is the pinnacle of elegance, in my opinion). I can do slingshots, though I haven't reenacted voyager. I like to do quirky and inefficent, but fun things, like off-plane direct ascents to space stations, with docking in less than 45 minutes.

I'm no wizard though.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I understand the shuttle is not capable of leaving LEO, but I could never call it boring! Flying it (David413's fleet shuttles) manually from launch to re-entry and touchdown remains among the most challenging things for me in Orbiter, even though I have done it successfully many times. It's still tough enough that if I don't stay on top of it during re-entry I can easily screw it up and miss the landing site. After wheelstop I feel like I need at least a beer to unwind. Never gets old.

Jordaxe12

Reaction score
I put Advanced as i just specialize in flights in LEO, Im a pro with the Shuttle and can dock with the ISS or my own station easily. Also I've flown to the Moon I'm guessing around 15 times and Mars twice.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

I had managed to get to the moon and mars before I ever managed orbital rendezvous and docking in LEO.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
I had managed to get to the moon and mars before I ever managed orbital rendezvous and docking in LEO.

Yeah, me too. Well, sort of, I've not taken anything to Mars yet, just the moon and back. LEO rendezvous was the most recent thing I've done as it seemed such a PITA.

Looking at the difference in clock in the saved scenario (saved once I successfully docked) and the original scenario, it looks like I did it in 12 hours and 24 minutes too, which was something of a surprise, as I heard that the shuttle takes 2 to 3 days, and I also thought I took longer due to my heavy use of time accel. lol

The stock tutorial was an incredible help in pulling it off too. I had to watch it twice before even trying it.

penlu

Reaction score
I can fly things to dock or to other planets (and usually miss by a few millions of kilometers). Orbiternaut.

Keatah

Reaction score
I'd say orbiternaut, or in some cases advanced orbiternaut. I haven't done any interpanetary flights yet(none without cheating anyways), but I can fly to the iss and back within one orbit(or less) and oftentimes do it with the basic hud instrumentation. And map mfd to tell me when to start the journey! Manual re-entry is a total blast!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I really am a noob. I spend so much of my time buildiing my flight deck and software, I hardly get a chance to fly in it. Kind of like building a kit airplane, then learning how to fly. :fool:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Noob. Just started with Orbiter earlier this year. Can get from Earth to the Moon (but not back), and Mars to Phobos (again, not back). Can land on the Moon with stock DG or Shuttle-A. Still trying to figure out the ISS approach, it has my tearing my hair out.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd say Orbinaut. I can launch DG type craft into orbit, and have launched modern rockets to orbit. I understand the basics of syncing and docking, have performed lunar transfers, are able to land with the DG on the Moon and I am able to return from the Moon.

I just flew to MArs with the MRO addon. I didn't give my craft the right orientation to insert into orbit and I flew straight past. But still, I count that as a success.

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I put Orbiternaut. I can launch most ships/rockets into the desired orbit. I've gone to the moon and back, and have made it to Mars before. I screwed up a late mid course correction and missed it, but at least I got close enough to see it. I've interecpted and docked the shuttle to the ISS a few times. One area I have problems with it getting from LEO to a base. I can do it with the DG and my HyperDart, but it is not pretty and far from efficent.