Discussion Your favourite Shuttle Orbiter!

What is your favourite orbiter?

• Total voters

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I saw a similar silly thread in another forum, so I decided to make a new thread for the discussion of your favourite shuttle orbiter: I wanna hear your choices!

So, my vote goes to.... Discovery! Her name is just too fitting for an orbiter, and look at the various missions she has been assigned and the works she have done! If someone asks the name of one of the shuttle orbiters, I am pretty sure she would the first one I remember.

Ark

Reaction score
Personally I like Endeavour, it's the most recent and came with the most up-to-date avionics. However, Challenger is the only shuttle named after:

TA.jpg

That is what NASA was thinking of when they named it, right? :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Everyone of them is equally awesome in my book. Atlantis because STS-129 is the first launch I watched live, Endeavour since it's the only Orbiter to have made it's maiden flight with me already toddling in our world, Discovery for the two return-to-flight missions, Challenger and Columbia for being the first two. More precisely, Columbia for being the first to fly, and Challenger for being converted from a static test airframe (imagine having worked on it and later seeing it lift-off, for example).

And Enterprise for being the first to (literally) fly and for it's awesome name. :)

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Discovery.It's the orbiter that flew the return to flight mission after Challenger and Columbia disasters,and a year after the Columbia disaster when the return to flight mission flew, I became pretty much obsessed with Discovery.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Columbia's my favorite. She was first. I also like the name Challenger, too.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Discovery is the orbiter I've seen in person as well as one of the first live launches I watched. Atlantis is a close second though.(First in person launch seen was Atlantis.)

Last edited:

Chub777

Reaction score
Endeavour. I like the name of it. It was also named after [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Bark_Endeavour"]a ship [/ame]used by a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cook"]British explorer[/ame].

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i voted Discovery too... maybe because of the little model i have of it since i was a kid (and visited the KSC)

anyways, then there's Atlantis, which has become sort of a new favourite being the last and all (i guess picking a favourite is no longer an option these days :facepalm:)

but they all deserve equal respect and reverence from us puny humans (and whatever other species lurk these forums) :hailprobe:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Ever since I was very little it was Discovery. I think it started when I would play space and my mom would always say "Liftoff of our Space Shuttle Discovery!" I also remember one of the first missions I followed was STS-95, even though I was just under 4 years old at the time. Discovery was also the orbiter that I commanded at Space Camp when I was 11. But my favorite accomplishments of Discovery are flying both return to flight missions and being the most flown orbiter in the fleet.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
An operational one. :thumbup:

:cheers:

FADEC

Reaction score
I like all of them. The differences are not significant enough to like a special one. They all have the same awesome shape and appearance and they all did their jobs in space very well. It doesn't matter if one can read Discovery, or Atlantis etc. on it. They are all amazing.

GoForPDI

Good ol' Max Peck
Reaction score
Discovery! Named after the great British ships of exploration, and one of her predecessors, Captain Scott's RRS Discovery, is berthed here in Scotland.

I love them all of course, but Discovery has that home connection.

indonesianorbinaut

Reaction score
i love Discovery because it was first shuttle i've ever seen

STS-41-D: Space Shuttle Discovery's maiden spaceflight
STS-51-D: Carried first incumbent United States member of Congress into space, Senator Jake Garn (R–Utah)
STS-26: First "Return to Flight" after Challenger disaster (STS-51-L)
STS-31: Launch of the Hubble Space Telescope
STS-60: First Russian launched in an American spacecraft (Sergei Krikalev)
STS-63: First female shuttle pilot Eileen Collins.[2]
STS-95: Second flight of John Glenn, who has been 77 at that time, the oldest man in space and third incumbent member of Congress to enter space
STS-96: First Orbiter Shuttle and first mission flight to dock with the International Space Station[2]
STS-92: The 100th Space Shuttle mission
STS-114: Second "Return to Flight" missions after Columbia disaster (STS-107)
STS-116: First night time launch of a Space Shuttle since the Columbia disaster. Last Shuttle launch from LC-39B
STS-131: Longest mission for this Orbiter with 15 days to its credit
STS-133: Final mission for this Space Shuttle