Installation how many different installations do you have?

destinos

Reaction score
Having worked with the simulation for a few months now, and having tried several different combinations of add-ons, it occurs to me that other people out there must also be keeping several seperate Orbiter installations for various different tasks.

I've settled into a few. One with all the hi-res earth/moon systems, one for the rest of the solar system, and then one for Project Mercury with the 1962 earth.

I'm curious to hear what combinations others are running, and for what purposes.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
One install.

I have a backup as well, I always take a back up when trying out something new.

Hmuda

Reaction score
3 at the moment. One for general use, with mods, one for backup, in case a new mods messes anything up, and one beta, juat for a heck of it.

I'll most likely make a 4th one for the OFSS missions alone.

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Four. One for Apollo, one for LEO, orbiter for solar system travel , and X-Planes for the er...X-planes and other experiemental aircraft. Spend 90% of my time in LEO - so much to do - so little time...

Countdown84

XR5 Payload Wrangler
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.ryankingsbury.com
Still working it all out, but right now:
1 general one with all sorts of futuristic addons, including high res outer planets
1 for historic / realistic addons like AMSO, SSU, Mercury, etc.
1 "Test" installation for addon development and testing addons before I put them in my main install
1 beta

What I did recently is unpack a fresh Orbiter install with all of the essential "core" addons like OrbiterSound, Spacecraft3, some MFD maps, etc. Then I took everything and .zipped it into one package. Now, by unzipping it, I can add additional installs quickly, without wasting time installing those common elements that I always want to have present.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey Countdown, that's a slick idea...
I've got 4 installs,
1 clean (for testing)
1 OFSS
1 Beta
and one that I spend most of my time with, lots of mods, bases, long haul ships (Vespucci, Helix)

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the single installation but at the moment i have 3

One huge hyper mega monster installation (OAVE, Outer Planets, MFD maps & planet textures, DG-IV with many payloads & skins, complete shuttle fleet with KSC fix using FloridaSurfaceTitles, Kourou + Ariane 5 + ATV & CTV, Velcro Rockets, XR series, WIN, ISS v2 including Proton & R7 launcher, about every Space Station module found on orbithangar & Mustard's site, most of kulch's add-ons, many texture replacement from McWogs, a few airports & moon bases, and countless more)

one OFSS install and one BETA

it takes quite a while to set up the huge hyper mega monster installation but carefully reading the add-on documentation & looking at the files in the archives helps a lot. JSGME is a must have, many cfg files have to be edited by hand and the best trick is to use different Solar Systems.

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have every version since Orbiter was released installed as well as five of the current.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
One for general use with many addons. (realistic and near future)

One for Star-Trek releated things and other sci-fi things. (not installed yet but want to make one?

And one for beta things.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Having worked with the simulation for a few months now, and having tried several different combinations of add-ons, it occurs to me that other people out there must also be keeping several seperate Orbiter installations for various different tasks.

I've settled into a few. One with all the hi-res earth/moon systems, one for the rest of the solar system, and then one for Project Mercury with the 1962 earth.

I'm curious to hear what combinations others are running, and for what purposes.

Shameless advertising: Common Orbiter Installation

I use versioning software pretty much since I started with Orbiter in 2000 (when there was no docking, VC or even OH). It was CVS back then and somewhat cumbersome, but SVN and now Mercurial made it a breeze to use as addon-managing system. I wouldn't want to go back to ZIP-file handling or esoteric mod-manager anymore...

So I have only one installation, althought it holds all my "parallel" Orbiter-"threads".

regards,
Face

weepleman

Reaction score
I have three right now, but I am thinking about adding another
1. General stuff
2. Star Trek related addons
3. Battlesat Galactica related addons

Usonian

Historic Ship & Base Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What I did recently is unpack a fresh Orbiter install with all of the essential "core" addons like OrbiterSound, Spacecraft3, some MFD maps, etc. Then I took everything and .zipped it into one package.

I do a variation of Countdowns system, but rather than zip it, I keep my clean "core" copy on a USB thumb drive and just copy it to my hard drive when I need a fresh install.

The only drawback... it's mighty tempting to bring the thumb drive to work. Checking in on the Forum during odd moments at work is bad enough!

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I do a variation of Countdowns system, but rather than zip it, I keep my clean "core" copy on a USB thumb drive and just copy it to my hard drive when I need a fresh install.

The only drawback... it's mighty tempting to bring the thumb drive to work. Checking in on the Forum during odd moments at work is bad enough!

Guilty. And a hard habit to break once you get started LOL. I've spent many-a-lunch-hour plugging in my USB thumb drive and doing a reentry or flying to the moon. My problem isn't that I check the forum during odd moments. It's that I check it during the even ones too!

Currently, I have the following:

Orbiter - general installation plus DGIV, XR2 and XR5, various other addons
OrbiterSTS - Shuttle Fleet Only, gets rebuilt from scratch with each release
OFSS_Base - Orbiter Forum Space Station with necessary addons for the latest mission pack, but without the mission pack. I use this to do practice flights for missions or test launching/landing scenarios (like CTV atop the Ariane6)
OFSS - main, or "production" installation for Orbiter Forum Space Station, with latest mission pack and all necessary addons.
OFSS_Base on a USB stick - all latest OFSS packs/addons, plus anything else I decide I want to mess with over my lunch hour

So, currently I have five, but I'm thinking about reinstalling JSGME and lowering the number of installations because it's getting harder to remember which installation I put [addon x] into and I have to go back and unzip it in this installation too before going forward. Getting messy in a hurry.

kneejo

Astronut
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
One big install; 2.8Gigs, 7456 files, 582 folders. Lots of high-res planets and moons (lvl8 minimum) and the XR series are most of the size.

still needs some fine-tuning in the configs, but looks promising.

Capt. Speirs

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
  1. Clean install
  2. AMOS
  3. GEMINI
  4. Mercury
  5. Arianne
  6. Shuttle Fleet
  7. Soyuz
  8. and one hair-ball just to see how something might work or not.:blink:

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Currently one, though when I tried out Shuttle Fleet I had a separate install. The current install is getting so cluttered, however, that I am considering deleting it, making a base install (including OrbiterSound, Aerobrake/BaseSync/IMFD/LTMFD, level 10 Earth textures from setheden.com, AbsoluteKillrot and a bunch of other little things) and then keeping separate installs for stuff.