15 April 2014 Total Lunar Eclipse

Unstung

Reaction score
This event will be visible to everybody in the Americas, so I thought I would give a heads-up. The greatest eclipse will occur at 7:46 AM UT, 3:36 AM EDT, or 12:46 AM PDT. Click here for more information.

LE2014-04-15T.gif

Greatest eclipse is [eventTimer]2014-04-15 07:45:40?in the future|ago;%d% days, %hh% hours, %mm% minutes, and %ss% seconds %c%[/eventTimer].

I personally plan on photographing the event and will share the results.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Looking forward to this event! Will be photographing it with my Dobsonian.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Total Lunar Eclipse of April 15, 2014 (& A Martian Close Encounter of the pi-th kind)

TLE2014Apr15-EDTw.gif

....well I will not be able to see this as it happens during afternoon daytime here (except on the web), but those in the Americas are in the prime spot to see this one, with a total eclipse time of 1 hour and 18 minutes. With Spica only 2 degrees away from the Moon during eclipse and Mars, itself approaching to be closest to Earth for the 2013/14 window only hours from the eclipse (actually 4 hours from now, and 6 days after opposition) being only 10 degrees away, it should make for a spectacular show over the spring skies.

Please report if you intend to observe this (or just Mars at its brightest till 2016). :tiphat:

Detailed information here: http://www.mreclipse.com/LEdata/TLE2014Apr15/TLE2014Apr15.html

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Except of course, most of the Eastern US as it'll be cloudy! I, might, have a short window to observe it and in which case I'll be taking pictures.

Mars opposition, lunar eclipse, and a SpaceX launch all in 24 hours -- all of which will be visible in my backyard? Awesome.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'll try to have a go at it in Seattle, if the weather permits.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Weather forecast indicates 50% cloud cover and high humidity.

But the next chance is only in September next year, so, i'm going to the planetarium.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Normally when I attend an astronomical event something bad happens and prevents me. But this time the occasion is good.

Climatological data are:

Humidity: 59%
Wind: NW at 19km / h
Pressure: 1014.7mb
Temperature: 14 ° C
http://freemeteo.com/default.asp?pid=15&gid=3864881&la=4

It's cold but, I promised that although rain down meteors, or nitrogen stalactites, was to witness this event.

I take this post to thank everyone who helped me to buy the telescope, and from here I send greetings to my science teacher Hugo Candino:tiphat:.

|--------------------------------------------------------EDIT---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
I upload an image in this forum, but then I'll upload the full album MediaFire (because I do not want to go to sleep late).
7pcxddhbrt6hiwh6g.jpg

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It's happening! :)

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Since the NASA page is down.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Moon is half-eclipsed now; I'm out there in -5C with light clouds taking pictures.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here ya go Yuri:

DSCN0597.JPG

Last edited:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Moon is half-eclipsed now; I'm out there in -5C:shifty: with light clouds taking pictures.

Implacable astronomical observer, and winner of Galileo Galilei observer's Seal Of Approval:thumbup:.

I thank the Probe by the following miracle: when I was watching half the eclipse, the sky was covered with clouds. Something annoying, I enter in my house and fifteen minutes later the clouds had completely disappeared, and the sky was a deep black color that had hitherto only seen in NASA photos!

:hailprobe::hailprobe::hailprobe::hailprobe:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It sadly wasn't visible from here. It went under the treeline some time before the eclipse started.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I shot this 4 frame mosaic of the moon during the deepest part of totality (moments before clouds set in) using my 8" LX200 and a Canon XTi with 15 second exposures at ISO 400.
c9Imrse.jpg

Unstung

Reaction score
I'll contribute some unedited JPGs since I won't have enough time to make them prettier for a few days. They're in order by time.

Not entirely in the umbra:
DSC_0052.jpg

Shortly after entry:
DSC_0065.jpg

By the way, the blue dot is Spica and Mars was nearby:
DSC_0078.jpg

The final shot which was taken near greatest eclipse:
DSC_0104.jpg

I have a few photos before I set up the tripod and when the moon half lit, but they're obviously not as spectacular. Photobucket's compression looks ugly on these images.

Actually, I'll include a (nearly) full-size photograph for science:
iwa8rbn.jpg

This one was taken between the third and the fourth photo above.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Too cloudy up here in the Pac-Northwest to see it, unfortunately.