Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Second practice currently underway, some rain, spins and smashes in FP1 already.

66583879_1397227317100913_16001922863464448_o.jpg

TomTex

Reaction score
Will Williams ever figure it out?

I am a Williams fan despite their abysmal performance this season. They were on the verge last season; now, in the gutter. Something about the small guy/gal taking on the powerful. But they do have a Mercedes powerplant. So what gives? Chassis? Drivers...no. Tranny? Enjoy the race. Classic circuit.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I am a Williams fan despite their abysmal performance this season. They were on the verge last season; now, in the gutter. Something about the small guy/gal taking on the powerful. But they do have a Mercedes powerplant. So what gives? Chassis? Drivers...no. Tranny? Enjoy the race. Classic circuit.

I think their problems are largely aero related. They spoke about "philosophy" problems, which generally is the overarching aero approach starting with the front wing and eventually exiting the diffuser. They're harder on their tyres because they don't generate as much raw downforce, so the car slides more through the corner, which scuffs and generates more surface temperature into the tyre, so the drivers just can't push the car that hard during the race or they'd be in the pits every four laps for fresh rubber.

They are making progress. The car they brought to pre-season was something like 2.5 seconds off the pace, and I think they're more or less half of that in quali trim, there or thereabouts in race trim. Kubica ended up lapped thrice in Austria which is a bit misrepresentative since the lap is so short there - barely over a minute now, with these cars.

Hopefully they can retain their progress into 2020 and improve on it, with some of their chassis issues being sorted in the car redesign for next year since it's not possible to change some things mid-season. Their title sponsor just signed for a long-term deal, which is also encouraging.

Edit: Second practice classification:

66426403_1397438037079841_3843107212855607296_o.jpg

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Third practice is done.

FB_IMG_1563017268940.jpg

Qualifying at 1400 local.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Qualifying complete: a narrow pole position for Valterri Bottas, just 0.006 seconds ahead of Lewis Hamilton in changeable conditions. Ferrari had looked a credible threat through Q2, but fell away in the shootout, Leclerc managing to take P3 just 0.079 seconds off the top spot.

FB_IMG_1563028316448.jpg

Special shout out for Lando Norris, getting the Mclaren into Q3 in his debut home race.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Summary
Hamilton takes lead after safety car, Vettel crashes into Verstappen
Hamilton set for record sixth British GP win
Leclerc has several battles with Verstappen
Magnussen and Grosjean out after Haas drivers make contact, Giovinazzi out

15:26
Post update
Lap 47/52
Instead, Valterri Bottas pits.
Odd one that. Hamilton didn't need to pit, so not sure why they called him in. The crew had got ready for his arrival but have stood down now. They are happy for him to stay out until the end.
Bottas is onto softs for the final few laps and looks on course to secure second.
…..

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That was some real wheel to wheel racing!

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Final classification, including Vettel's 10 second penalty:

FB_IMG_1563123949298.jpg

Well, what a dramatic race! Can't say I'm surprised by the end result - Lewis looked like a man on a mission in the early laps but massive respect to Valterri for getting his elbows out and keeping his head up even after Lewis passed him to retake the lead. Bottas 2.0! The race was his but for the safety car, bit of a strategy gamble really but it paid off.

So the two Haas drivers taking each other out, again, not entirely surprising. As for Max and Sebastian, well I think the penalty was deserved, if a little ineffective - with the damage and the stop for the new nose, it was already a race ruining moment. It did, however, restore Charles Leclerc to P3, which was nice after his latest let down by the team leaving him out too long.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Final classification, including Vettel's 10 second penalty:

View attachment 16717

Well, what a dramatic race! Can't say I'm surprised by the end result - Lewis looked like a man on a mission in the early laps but massive respect to Valterri for getting his elbows out and keeping his head up even after Lewis passed him to retake the lead. Bottas 2.0! The race was his but for the safety car, bit of a strategy gamble really but it paid off.

So the two Haas drivers taking each other out, again, not entirely surprising. As for Max and Sebastian, well I think the penalty was deserved, if a little ineffective - with the damage and the stop for the new nose, it was already a race ruining moment. It did, however, restore Charles Leclerc to P3, which was nice after his latest let down by the team leaving him out too long.

I think that today the Leclerc-Verstappen battle was a true piece of history. Something like the new Arnoux Villeneuve battle. I extremely enjoyed and only god knows how much talent each of this 2 drivers has