VUSSP Set To Make A Return to the Orbitersim and VA Community

KayamoneS

Reaction score
Website
www.vussp.space
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
VUSSP - Resized.png

(Atlanta, GA) After being closed for over 16 years, the Virtual United States Space Program, also known as VUSSP, is back. Founded in 2001 by Kayamone Sutton, VUSSP stood as the second largest and second longest running virtual space agency in the virtual industry (Second only to SimNASA).

At the agencies peak, VUSSP boasted over 150 members world-wide, and conducted over 100 unmanned missions, and over 20 manned missions, which included the establishment of a permanent earth orbiting manned space station. VUSSP missions were broadcast with live audio and video for general public viewing. VUSSP operates on both the Microsoft Flight Simulator and Orbiter Sim platforms to conducts air, spaceflight, and mission control operations. While no plans are currently underway as to the focus of its spaceflight operations, VUSSP is actively recruiting individuals interested in heading the organization. VUSSP Executive Director added these remarks: "The VUSSP was the type of organization where creativity and imagination was harnessed and put into action and that will continue to be this organization's primary focus as we enter into its second chapter. We placed importance on recruiting members who have dreams that reach beyond the skies and allow them to put their dreams to the test in a way that is both educational, fun, and inspiring."

The VUSSP's website is currently online and in its final stages of development. Individuals interested in inquiring about leadership positions within VUSSP prior to the grand opening are urged to email Mr. Sutton at [email protected].

We are currently looking to fill the following positions:

Director of Spaceflight Operations
Director of Mission Control Operations
Director of Aeronautic Operations
Director of Public Relations

The VUSSP website is currently online and undergoing live development but can be found at https://vussp.space.

###

Direct all media inquiries to:
Kayamone Sutton
Executive Director, VUSSP
[email protected]

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
A few thoughts on this after checking out the website, firstly, if it was so successful, why did it close 16 years ago?

Secondly, the website talks about "where no man has gone before". TNG, which first aired in 1987 changed that to be where no ONE has gone before to be gender inclusive. It's sad to see that gender inclusivity is not a thing for VUSSP.

Thirdly, you've posted here saying you are looking for members but the website isn't even ready and the "join us" page says you're not looking for anyone (https://vussp.space/?page_id=1455)

Finally, you're collecting peoples personal data and the website is available in the UK and the EU. That means it is subject to GDPR. There is no page talking about GDPR. It is available in the US making it subject to COPPA. There is no page talking about COPPA.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Is this related to the VSA "VOSSA" from back in the day?

KayamoneS

Reaction score
Website
www.vussp.space
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
A few thoughts on this after checking out the website, firstly, if it was so successful, why did it close 16 years ago?

Secondly, the website talks about "where no man has gone before". TNG, which first aired in 1987 changed that to be where no ONE has gone before to be gender inclusive. It's sad to see that gender inclusivity is not a thing for VUSSP.

Thirdly, you've posted here saying you are looking for members but the website isn't even ready and the "join us" page says you're not looking for anyone (https://vussp.space/?page_id=1455)

Finally, you're collecting peoples personal data and the website is available in the UK and the EU. That means it is subject to GDPR. There is no page talking about GDPR. It is available in the US making it subject to COPPA. There is no page talking about COPPA.
Thank you for the constructive criticism. I will be sure to make necessary changes (as applicable) soon.

To address your four points:

1. VUSSP was initially closed at the end of 2005/beginning of 2006 (at my age of 19) as I decided to shift away from the VA community and focus on a more hands-on vision and because I was transitioning from civilian life to military life. Subsequently, VUSSP transformed into a non-profit I created called UASO, Inc. (United Aeronautics and Spaceflight Organization, Inc). The scope of that non-profit at that time was tangible, however, my board of directors did not have the time to dedicate to it as each of our visions for what we wanted to bring to the organization were very much separate. From there, I closed UASO, Inc. and formed a more specific non-profit that turned into an afterschool program based out of Flint, MI. The program ran from 2016 until I moved to a different state in 2020. Over the course of that 4 year timespan, I taught roughly 70 students (in a classroom setting) each school year in all basic areas of STEM and maintained a heavy emphasis on space flight and the use of Microsoft Flight Simulator and Orbiter Sim creating custom curriculum to teach the students. Bringing back the original concept of VUSSP (just more refined) had always been a goal, I just did not have the personal time to dedicate to making it happen, and now that I do, here we are. :)

2. Gender inclusivity has never been an issue at VUSSP as we had a number of very successful females that were both part of our Administration and Astronaut corp. The phrase was simply used to nod the original TNG and also to quote one of our marketing slogans that we used quite often back then. If you read parts of our website, there is no mention of "man" or "woman", simply "individuals" or refer to everyone by their prospective job grouping (astronauts, mission controllers, administrators, etc.). And more specifically, that quote is only used once throughout the entire website, again, as a nod to the original TNG and our old marketing slogan.

3. The website is ready. There are a couple pages that are not accessible (the department pages) because those will be styled by whoever heads those departments and will be released when those individuals have been selected. And for registration, it is also ready (as well as the entire VA back end for the AOD department), however, membership registration will be opened once my SFOD and AOD have been selected. Overall, the website is about 95% completed, with the other 5% being behind the scenes components that members wont have access to anyways, but the organization is NOT open for full membership until I have my main administrators in place first.

4. I will add a privacy notice in the coming days prior to membership registration opening. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello, various questions based on experience I got from my OrbiSondas project, wich one can say is (was, as now it is halted but I am keeping its website/socials except Twitter online) the first Spanish VSA, and maybe also the first european one.

1. How are your missions run? I read on your website that you did around 150 missions in a span of 6 years; we at OrbiSondas did 29 missions from 2009 to 2016. How was that big number of missions possible?
  2. I see that you have IVAO and VATSIM there on your website, and I think that is for an idea we also had, to make atmospheric flights on those networks also, to transport cargo and personnel to the different facilities for a mission. Why no X-Plane?
  3. Do you sim an MCC? That was our major goal, to run missions in almost real time with an MCC system that we developed with help of OrbConnect. We used TeamSpeak for real time communications. On later missions we even had a Ground to Space and Ground to Ground communications channel.
  4. What are the reuirements for a new member to join? We distinguish positions between astronaut, MCC officer, Flight/Launch director, PAO, Atmospheric pilot. Different requirements apply to them: But bassically, some knowledge about the simulation world and to offer commitment.
  5. Do you have a training program? We had an academy where we teached Orbiter almost from scratch, and also flight simulation.
On my signature is the website, but I also leave you the OrbiSondas´s youtube channel, and specifically one video that shows a little bit our MCC clients:

Best regards,

KayamoneS

Reaction score
Website
www.vussp.space
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
Hello, various questions based on experience I got from my OrbiSondas project, wich one can say is (was, as now it is halted but I am keeping its website/socials except Twitter online) the first Spanish VSA, and maybe also the first european one.

1. How are your missions run? I read on your website that you did around 150 missions in a span of 6 years; we at OrbiSondas did 29 missions from 2009 to 2016. How was that big number of missions possible?
  2. I see that you have IVAO and VATSIM there on your website, and I think that is for an idea we also had, to make atmospheric flights on those networks also, to transport cargo and personnel to the different facilities for a mission. Why no X-Plane?
  3. Do you sim an MCC? That was our major goal, to run missions in almost real time with an MCC system that we developed with help of OrbConnect. We used TeamSpeak for real time communications. On later missions we even had a Ground to Space and Ground to Ground communications channel.
  4. What are the reuirements for a new member to join? We distinguish positions between astronaut, MCC officer, Flight/Launch director, PAO, Atmospheric pilot. Different requirements apply to them: But bassically, some knowledge about the simulation world and to offer commitment.
  5. Do you have a training program? We had an academy where we teached Orbiter almost from scratch, and also flight simulation.
On my signature is the website, but I also leave you the OrbiSondas´s youtube channel, and specifically one video that shows a little bit our MCC clients:

Best regards,
Good afternoon and thanks for your inquiry. To answer your questions directly:

1. At the time, a decent multiplayer was just a "wish" so we couldnt truly perform multiplayer missions where multiple astronauts could control one vessel, and I still dont think such an add-on has been created (much to my shock and suprise), so we would assign astronauts specific duties. The commander and pilot would be the ones to execute burns and maneuvers and if there were additional astronauts part of the mission, they would simply perform the tasks they were assigned with. We streamed a good portion of our missions through live screen capture directly from our website since Youtube was in the early stages of live streaming.

In terms of the number of missions we conducted, most of them were unmanned or simple tests. And a great number of us were in our teens so we had PLENTY of time on our hands to dedicate to flying missions. There was a core group of maybe 20 or 30 of us we were online almost 24/7 so that wasnt a problem. I dont suspect we will fly even a fraction of that many missions over such a short time span now, unfortunately.

2. VUSSP always utilized Microsoft Flight Simulator as I initially was part of the Virtual Airline community and wanted to expand on the concept of VA's and create a VSA, but our astronauts werent required to speficially have or use MSFS. For our pilots who came from the VA community, they simply racked up flight hours and went through a series of flight tests and ranked up and eventually would be allowed to become an astronaut if they preferred to go through that way. All others that didnt use MSFS and were only using Orbiter would undergo a series of tests to prove proficiency and then be inducted into the astronaut corp. VUSSP 2.0 will follow a similar track in regards to astronaut training and selection. As far as X-Plane, VATSIM and IVAO do support X-Plane, though we dont and most likely wont focus on X-plane as a platform unless there is a large enough number of people who are actively and regularly using X-Plane.

3. VUSSP always simmed MCC. At the time the only software available to do so was vMC, which worked amazingly well and we just utilized Teamspeak for our comms and even allowed the public to listen in to MCC-Astronaut communications throughout the entirety of the missions.

4. There werent any requirements for people to join. We welcomed all, and on initial registration everyone would have to select what they wanted to do within the organization and they would be put into a training program for their choice. Once members gained proficiency in their selected position, they would then be allowed to gain proficiencies in other areas so they werent stuck only doing one thing within the organization. They could participate in multiple areas. This allowed our members to really find their niche and find what they really loved to do, while also increasing their chances of being selected for new or special projects that popped up rather regularly.

5. Towards the end of VUSSP's initial run, the idea was put in place to create an academy but I closed VUSSP prior to that idea taking off because it blended in with my vision of a more hands-on and education focused organization and I realized (at least at that particular time) that the changes that I wanted to make were too drastic and would change the entire scope of the organization. VUSSP 2.0 will utilize an Academy (VUSSP Academy....very unoriginal title, I know lol) and everyone would be required to go through VUSSP Academy regardless of what department you are in, to learn the basics of the area you are going into or to get cross-training in another area that you may be interested in. MSFS pilots will have to go through the same academy to be able to rank up as well.

I hope this answered your questions and if you have any others, please feel free to ask. :)

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wow, another virtual space agency. I thought this to be a relic of the past, but here it is. Good luck! :cheers:

KayamoneS

Reaction score
Website
www.vussp.space
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
Wow, another virtual space agency. I thought this to be a relic of the past, but here it is. Good luck! :cheers:
LOL! They can thrive, if done correctly :D They do tend to be a money pit though. I'll figure that part out later!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
LOL! They can thrive, if done correctly :D They do tend to be a money pit though. I'll figure that part out later!

Thats what they have in common with all hobbys. If you want to earn money, found a bank.

KayamoneS

Reaction score
Website
www.vussp.space
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him/His
Thats what they have in common with all hobbys. If you want to earn money, found a bank.
Lol...very true. I'm not worried about that. I've always loved running VUSSP and enjoyed the creativity that came along with it. Can't put a price on any of that. 🤷🏾‍♂️