3 photos of cruising airliners

Turbinator

Reaction score
I would love to know the details of how you do this.

I tried using my telescope to watch the planes landing at my airport, and I can only keep them in view for about 1.5 seconds at a time before I completely loose them. And then it takes another 3 minutes to get them in view again. Very frustrating.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I can think that a flightplan is useful (as long as planes don't go late) and google earth could help you finding out in wich direction to look (excactly)...
and when you already have your camera at the telescope and only look through the display, than 1 second is enough to take a good photo...

But I don't know how exactly to do this, because I never did it

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I point and shoot... basically :)

As you can see on the photos there are contrails, which actually help locate the aircraft a lot ;)
I'm not sure I could actually find any aircraft without the contrails.

I look through the camera's view-finder, while moving the camera in the general direction of where the aircraft is, then I scan up and down until I hit the contrail, and then track in on the aircraft from there while trying to focus it as sharp as possible, having less than 1 minute for the whole thing.

It's really not possible to hold the aircraft in the center of the image, let alone holding it still, so I shoot at a high frame-rate (it's called burst mode on my camera, but you can also just use video. I used both modes to see which one gave the best results and both worked fine) while trying to keep it in view, and then simply selected the 3 best and least-blurry images from the big bunch of photos I got. Most of the photos just show a motion-blurred blob :)

Turbinator

Reaction score
I was trying to point my telescope at planes that are on final, visible from my bedroom. So I am dealing with very close distances and high relateiveistic speeds. For the split second that I do get the plane in vew, I can allmost see inside the windows. I dont have a DSLR so I cant take pics with my telescope. The burst feature would be -very- usefull.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I was trying to point my telescope at planes that are on final, visible from my bedroom. So I am dealing with very close distances and high relateiveistic speeds. For the split second that I do get the plane in vew, I can allmost see inside the windows. I dont have a DSLR so I cant take pics with my telescope. The burst feature would be -very- usefull.

That's high *relative* speeds.

Any pilot traveling at high relativistic speeds on final is going to lose his license. ;)

Unstung

Reaction score
Can't you use your telescope to calibrate the area where the plane will land, and then capture the next one on the same approach using a high shutter speed without following the plane? I've done some high-speed photography with my point-and-shoot before, it's just timing. You don't need a professional dSLR that shoots 10 frames per second. Eventually you'd get the shot.

Turbinator

Reaction score
Unstung, that is an excellent idea, however;

How would you mount, and focus a non-SLR camera to a telescope?
Specifically, any camera that has a non-removable lens?

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Do a google search for "compact camera mount for telescope" to get ideas. You'll get both commercial products and ideas on how to make home-made contraptions. Use googles image search to get a lot of pictures of various setups. A good way to spark ideas :)

The focusing is probably going to be tricky. I guess manual focusing is pretty much the only way. I don't think an auto-focus will be stable enough. I've tried holding a handycam (video) up to my spotting-scope's lens and with that combo the auto-focus was not able to do much.
Do you have any settings on your camera to switch to manual focus? Buried in some sub-menu or something. Or maybe just some way of turning off the auto-focus so it won't zip back and forth but remain fixed at one setting, cause then you might be able to do the focusing on the scope.

If you could switch to video and use a high shutter-rate that would probably be the easiest way to get some good pictures. But then you would ofcourse have to edit the single-pictures out of the video-sequence later in some editing program.

Alternatively there are also special web-cams one can buy that are made to fit directly into the eye-piece socket on telescopes, but they're obviously not cheap so perhaps not the best option.

Last option is to hand-hold the camera when the scope is set on a fixed position. That IS possible, although obviously not the most fun :)

Turbinator

Reaction score
I have one of these, and after searching Google, creating a custom mount would be super easy, and cost me less than $2. However I can not shut off the auto-focus and it has no burst mode. However it does have a complete set of independent shutter, iso, and exposure settings.
kodak-easyshare-p850_1.jpg

Then I have this one, it has excellent video quality and options, including manual and no focus. However creating a custom mount for this one would be complicated, and expensive. Buying one even more so. This is because I cant just...... wait a second. It has a lens mount, for attaching a wide angle lenses. I could buy a step-down ring and a SLR telescope mount. :D
02Panasonic_HDC-TM700_Front.jpg

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I hope I'm looking at the right camera, because then you should have all this:

Check page 29 of the manual for the P850:

http://resources.kodak.com/support/pdf/en/manuals/urg00422/P850_GLB_en.pdf

It says you can set manual focus :)

And check page 30 for burst-mode options :)

And on page 77 it says there's also a lens thread inside the lens ring, so it should be just like on your video-camera :)

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Great Pics!I can see planes with my binoculars which are Bushnell Ensign 7x35.Yes I know it's old but it still gets the job done.

Turbinator

Reaction score
Optics are optics, it's not like they reinvented glass between when those Bushnells where out, and now.