4 Decades of Metal

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
What is the difference between Jimi Hendrix and Metallica?

Jimi Hendrix has a good excuse why he doesn't make any good songs anymore.

Sorry, but Metallica stopped making rock music with "And Justice for All", The black album was still acceptable, but what came afterwards was an outright insult.

AARGYHH, till I read all :Hendrix, the best

Not thatI'm biased but listen to the intro, Heavy Metal ahead of its time?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now, to annoy Notebook a bit more about Bach and Wagner, but also for creating the right mood for todays match between Argentina and Greece:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent, I'm stuck for words, and I've never heard anything like it. It sort of sounds like a bad(I lasted two minutes) evacuation anoucement on a cruise liner.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Excellent, I'm stuck for words, and I've never heard anything like it. It sort of sounds like a bad(I lasted two minutes) evacuation anoucement on a cruise liner.

Damn, you missed the part where it sounds like a ant parade over a nanophone.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Very odd, Mr Guns_Roses got very rude, and then turned into Crosby,Stills, Nash and Doo-Dah.

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
What is the difference between Jimi Hendrix and Metallica?

Jimi Hendrix has a good excuse why he doesn't make any good songs anymore.

I would argue that Metallica has the same excuse. The band I love and listen to died on an icy road in Sweden with Cliff Burton. ...And Justice was the last good thing they could muster up.

AirSimming

Reaction score
Very odd, Mr Guns_Roses got very rude, and then turned into Crosby,Stills, Nash and Doo-Dah.

I guess it's meant to be provoking. It actually reflects the attitude of a large number of humans, i.e. "I don't care about you".

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
My apologies, I was being a bit "humourous", failed again! good guitar work though.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What a great thread!

I have to start out by saying.... Where is the Jethro Tull!?

Aqualung was released in 1971 and I think they influenced metal quite a bit.

Though I can see an argument for Tull not being "Metal" I feel they wanted to, or the songs wanted to be metal at least :thumbup:

But along the lines of genre busting groups I submit the following:

Jethro Tull "My God"

Isis "The Begining and the End" (one of my favs right now)

And finally, Lamb Of God one of the greatest metal bands of the last 10 years! (Warning this video has some vulgar language)

Also, as some may know from my avatar pic I am a HUGE Tool fan and it is nice to see that article give recognition. They deserve some credit.

:headbang:

Last edited:

earthorbit

Desktop Crasher
Reaction score
Does anybody here know Saxon?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWt-aJGddho&feature=related"]YouTube- Saxon - 747 (Strangers in the night)[/ame]

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Too dodgy, got an intro, and you can hear the dialogue...

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Speaking of Iron Maiden, here's their new sci fi CGI video:

[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=105822368"]The Final Frontier - Director's Cut Video by Iron Maiden - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/Services/Media/Embed.aspx/m=105822368@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@myspace@@AMEPARAM@@Services/Media/Embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@105822368[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
very nice CGI work, unfortunately Music and Clip don't have a lot in common. They could have made the choreography and the timing better, considering the money they spent on this...

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I was surfing and I ran across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Metal_Genealogy.jpg

It's a family tree of metal and hard rock. Some will disagree, of course, but it's fun to trace the roots and connections of this stuff.

I would've taken it further and traced it back to early rock and roll and blues and jazz, but it was made for a metal documentary.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's a family tree of metal and hard rock. Some will disagree, of course, but it's fun to trace the roots and connections of this stuff.

I do really disagree... it ignores a whole lot of influences and groups bands together, which never had been in the same style. At the same time, it is really US-Metal centric. Symphonic Metal of the past years has been ignored. Pop Metal sounds like a category for all those bands that had not been cool enough. Hair Metal is not even existing in the tree, despite it being an important anti-pole of metal (It is anti-metal). And what drugs made the person group Doro as Pop Metal! What she does was always Power Metal, even when her band was the famous Warlock. And why is Judas Priest power metal, if they are actually considered THE band of NWOBHM, and why is Iron Maiden NWOBHM, if they are more in progressive metal?

Also it doesn't include punk (Only "early punk" and then it is wrong from the time, at that time you had proto-punk), despite punk and Metal being closely related. And progressive is just thrown into the room like being one and the same for all decades.

Who ever did this, he had never been to Wacken in his life.

Also, Pop Metal is a strange category... Blind Guardians latest album managed to reach #2 in the German album charts, which would sure say it is pretty popular...even more than some bands in the pop metal class.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, like I said, there will be disagreements, especially with something that has so many hardcore fans.

BTW, "Hair Metal" is a phrase that did not exist in the 80s, as far as I recall; that term came later to mock the era. The terms we used in the 80s for that stuff was "bubblegum" or "glam metal", which is on the chart where the hair band examples are listed (eg. Motley Crue).

Who ever did this, he had never been to Wacken in his life.

Wacken. It always comes back to Wacken! :lol:

The thing it's good for, even if it's wrong, is to get you to look up stuff you haven't heard of before. I never knew there were so many metal subgenres.

Allan

Reaction score
Local band from Phoenix Arizona, USA (less than 1 year old) : Whiskey Six
http://www.whiskeysixmusic.com/

Novelty Band: Metal Elvis - yeah I know, I was thinking the same thing...check out the video, it surprised me.
http://www.metalelvis.com/

I forgot to mention probably one of the best bands from the 1980's (my time) Cinderella! Long Cold Winter was probably one of the greatest albums ever made IMO.

Last edited: