News A heads-up to all developers using SourceForge as platform

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
As it happens, I needed to install a fresh copy of Filezilla just a couple weeks ago. I was so shocked to see an installer download instead of the actual file that I had to double check I was getting it from SourceForge.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Well, once again we see that if you want to provide something to the world for free, you have to pay for it :(
Exactly the opposite - you are getting paid for attaching the installer.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Amazon Web Services has a free tier for one year. I've been using a 'micro' Linux server for SVN for a couple months. (I started an account for some actual processing jobs, but that is finished)

EC2 has one problem, which is that shutting down the instance deprovisions it, i.e. destroys all data it contains. You are supposed to handle that yourself by copying you data to S3 prior to shutdown.

Some people have been burned by this behavior, because they did not read the docs.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Exactly the opposite - you are getting paid for attaching the installer.

The way I see it, is that SF takes my stuff, uses it to push adware on unsuspecting users, and then gives me a cut of the adware profit. I find this completely unacceptable, because I am opposed to adware.

On the other hand, if I was OK with pushing adware on users, then I'd set my own adware distribution scheme ($5/mo VPS will do, besides, there's always Amazon S3) and keep all the profits to myself.

So SF's scheme is only good when one is at the same: (1) too greedy to have ethical doubts about pushing adware and (2) too stupid/lazy to do the adware distribution himself.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
We already had some folks trying that, and one of them was even part of a team creating a much respected add-on. I would not go so far as calling them insane, just... well... tempted to monetize from their valuable work.

Now that I think about it, I can tell you that when it was unfolding, I wouldn't dare calling anybody insane for trying to do it, rather brave. I used this word AFTER it has happened and failed, because only now, and thanks to those gents who tried it, it should be dead obvious for anybody that it will fail in future.
For big players like Dice, having more to do with money and various communities, it should be even more obvious.

Last edited: