Achievable technologies within the near future

steph

Reaction score
Let's hypothetically assume that science and development gets a major funding raise, and many of the cancelled/mothballed projects like the X-30 get revived. What would be technically achievable in the near future, from a space and aerospace perspective? Maybe an SSTO?

Edit: I'm assuming a timeframe of, say, 10 years. Could we see horizontal take-off SSTOs being commercially used (manned or unmanned)? Also, what could be expected of technologies like nuclear pulse propulsion, pulse detonation engines , and so on ? Perhaps a manned mission to Mars or Venus would be unachievable even with all the funding

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nuclear thermal is tested so it's perfectly achievable but for lack of political will (and funds, as always).

Nuclear pulse? Well, that's probably achievable from a technical standpoint, but there are so many disadvantages to using it that it's unlikely to ever get used. The astronomical costs of the explosive devices alone for starters, and that's before you get to the environmental concerns, the hazard of eye-burn to any observers looking up at it, the political problems, the ramifications of making thousands of small nuclear devices, the fact that you're going to want to boost this thing well clear of LEO before lighting it up...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
the fact that you're going to want to boost this thing well clear of LEO before lighting it up...
No, no, no, no!
What is even the point of having the Orion if you're not using it to solve the hardest of problems - getting stuff off the ground into space?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, no, no, no!
What is even the point of having the Orion if you're not using it to solve the hardest of problems - getting stuff off the ground into space?

Exactly my point: the thing that makes it so useful also makes it so undesirable.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I wonder if air-launched systems to LEO will ever be worth pursuing for larger payloads. (i.e. a rocket launched under a large plane, which offers a small payload advantage to just launching from a pad on the ground.)

These seem to be worthwhile for small-ish satellites, the Pegasus rocket etc, and there's the new big Rutan plane on the way for larger launches, but I wonder if this will ever get over a certain threshold. (A large rocket needing a large wing to get it pointed "up" has to be part of that limit.)

T1234

Reaction score
Having been a welder in the past, arc welding in vacuum should be easy ,no gases required,so could construct large structures from lots of small fabricated parts,so could replace modular units, I think that to get to mars and beyond, I would want lots of habitable space taking the comforts of home with me.
This is only possible if getting to orbit is very cheap like skylon could be.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
On the other hand cooling would be a huge problem. Most orbital structures are very thin compared to most stuff we see on the ground.

T1234

Reaction score
What if the metal is polished or painted white?, and would the heat radiate away on the shadow side?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Weld small pieces at a time, monitor the work piece temperature, and wait till its cooled?

Swarms of cube-sat welders.

Swine-Trek, Pigs in Space!

N.