Adding panels to spaceships?

AlX

Reaction score
how can i create/add panels to space ships?
and i have something like a panel for shuttle pb in my orbiter sdk folder but it doesnt use it why?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Are you experienced with making virtual cockpits?

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and i have something like a panel for shuttle pb in my orbiter sdk folder but it doesnt use it why?

Panels have to be coded inside the vessels.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

I only wish implementing new panels was that easy! :)

Seriously, though, when it comes to implementing panels there is no "magic" to it: it requires custom C++ code to make each control on the panel work -- it takes a lot of work! You can see how it works by looking at how the stock DeltaGlider does it in this file: Orbitersdk\samples\DeltaGlider\DeltaGlider.cpp. In particular, look at the InitPanel, clbkLoadPanel, clbkPanelMouseEvent, and clbkPanelRedrawEvent methods: those methods handle the 2D instrument panels. Once you are familiar with 2D panels you can take a look at the 3D virtual cockpit code as well.

Of course, in order to implement a custom panel you will have to create a custom vessel to use it as well. So if you wanted a custom panel in the Shuttle PB, for example, you would have to create a new, custom version of the Shuttle PB that used your new panel.

AlX

Reaction score
well, if it has to be coded with c++ than i cant do anything about it because i dont have the programm you make c++ code and second i have no idea how to make c++ codes anyway thanks for the help.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
well, if it has to be coded with c++ than i cant do anything about it because i dont have the programm you make c++ code and second i have no idea how to make c++ codes anyway thanks for the help.
There was a Systems & Panels SDK (SPSDK) that used configuration files for creating panels. don't know if that might help or if its still available.

AlX

Reaction score
i need to create dll's but i have got dev c++ and not vs c++ because vs c++ is to big is there a way to create dll's with dev c++?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not tried it. I know that it is easily possible with VC2008 Express, because Orbiters SDK is designed for it.

Kunsa

Reaction score
That would be an interesting project.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a custom panels dll that would load predefined standard buttons and switches and was configurable via cfg file for positions colors which panel(upper center or lower) etc.

to be really handy it would be able to be used for any ship.

hmm

Kunsa

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Making custom panel module that can applied to any ship is not possible AFAIK, besides I don't see a good reason for it - custom vessels abilities (even deploying gears) would be unacessible from that new panel.

But making a spacecraft.dll-like solution is possible. But there is the same trouble - The module that creates panels should be the same that creates vessel. So it's either expanding spacecraft.dll or making alternative one with panels.

Anyway, that's interesting task (from design point at least - writing config-reading routines was always boring/difficult for me $).
Damn, may be even some script for button logic should be implemented, so some complex vessel systems can be created :)

Last edited:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
We are making a custom panel now, however its really takes a long time to make and program.