Problem Adding ships to scenario

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I need some help adding multiple ships to appear at the same time in the same scenario.

I knew how to do this in Orbiter 2010, but I must be missing something in Orbiter 2016 because when I open up the Scenario editor, I can add ships to the choice list but it only gives me the option to select one ship from the list to appear in the scenario.

1. How do I make multiple ships and space stations appear in the same scenario at the same time? and...

2. How do I make a ship appear docked to a space station in a scenario?

Thank you.

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
1. How do I make multiple ships and space stations appear in the same scenario at the same time?
Enter Scenario Editor. Select New. Select Vessel Type and provide a unique name for the new vessel. Click Create. Set location, orbital elements, etc. When done click Done a couple of times to get back to Vessel Type selection. Repeat the process for a new vessel. If, for some reason, the scenario editor gets stuck on a vessel type (happened to me when I was just checking) then close the scenario editor and start over.

2. How do I make a ship appear docked to a space station in a scenario?
Follow above steps up to Click Create. If the vessel you created has at least one docking port, then in the Misc section you will be able to select the Docking button. From that page you can pre-dock vessels.

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Thank you for the instructions.

Yes, I see how that works,

But I am perplexed about how to set Location, State Vectors, and Orientation.

1. Do I have to fill in all of these number elements? The numbers keep changing on my primary ship / station so quickly.

2. Is there a quick simple way to get two or more ships within close visual distance?

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You could dock the one vessel to the other and go from there. Or, after creating the new vessel, select "State Vectors" then double-click the target vessel in the "Copy state from" box. That will drop the second vessel right at the center of the target vessel.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
1. Do I have to fill in all of these number elements? The numbers keep changing on my primary ship / station so quickly.

A state vector is needed, but you should use orbit elements, not velocity and position there. Then you can ignore the changes, Orbit MFD displays "osculating elements", that are orbits, that fit to the current combination of velocity and position. Since you always have small accelerations messing with your velocity and thus also with your position, these change all the time, but most of the disturbances are periodic - after one orbit, they have neutralized themselves again. So, no need to be too accurate. Choose some parameters you like and use them.

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Hi there,

Some of the ships I have that work in Orbiter 2010 work just fine in Orbiter 2016 and some of them do not.

I am thinking especially of those by John Marcure.

And strangely I cannot get any of the ships by Trekkie for Orbiter 2016 to load without a CTD.

1. Is there a way to debug the non working ships and how would I go about that?

Thank you.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well Ummu doesn't work in 2016.

I got the ISS a-z to work in 2016 but only in d3d9. but if you go to other ship ctd. Without the source code you can't get them to work. The maker would need to to recompile.

broadhead

Reaction score

I got more Performer 8 to work in 2016 but only in d3d9. but if you go to other ship ctd. Without the source code you can't get them to work. The maker would need to to recompile.

Ok, that makes sense but what about the 2017 version. Is that the same?

Last edited:

lucileburt

Reaction score
Website
aboutmens.com
hi

I got the ISS a-z to work in 2016 but only in d3d9. but if you go to other ship ctd. Without the source code you can't get them to work. The maker would need to to recompile.

what about the 2017 version.Is that the same?