Discussion Addon developers, I want your opinions.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello there.

I recently updated one of my add-ons on Orbit Hangar, and wondered about the "Date added" box. There you can select the upload date of the add-on. When you upload an add-on, the default date is the date you originally uploaded the add-on, but I have seen that many developers edit this date to the date of the update.

I have some problems with that, as you "promote" an add-on (which may not have any big update, only a small correction or a little new feature) so that it gets show in the "Newest uploads" tab. I think this is unfair to promote something which isn't new. On my recent update, I posted about it in the Orbiter-Forum thread of my add-on.

Of course, there are some arguments for and against selecting a new upload date:

For:
  • Only a fraction of the Orbinauts are active on Orbiter-Forum, most users will not notice the update as it has drowned in the all the other add-ons out there. Therefore, updating the upload date will help users notice the update.
Against:
  • Your add-on is not new, and you take the place from the new add-ons out there. The update is not strictly necessary to download for most users anyway.

What do you do when you update an add-on? What are your opinions?

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For my 2 pennies worth I think the better way is to amend the addon date. Some amendments are quite small but the most give new / better / needed benefit. This would mean you are doing the rest of us a favour by bringing it to our attention.

Mark one came out in 2010, mk2 in 2012 I would like to see the latest mk3 in 2014 at the top of list. ( even if its 2010hrs, 2012hrs and 2014hrs).

While you may of had an idea 6 months ago and let us have a copy of what you had done so far, which I downloaded and liked, I dont think you are stealing anyones thunder by letting us know there a newer better one out there.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm not a developer, but I prefer when updates show up on Newest uploads as it is easier for the user to keep up with the latest version.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I usually update date for my updates (lots of dating here :p). I think when update for an add-on comes out I'd like to see it on recent uploads. Some add-ons have frequent updates sometimes with crucial improvements bumping it up helps users to be up to date. I don't think add-on devs are abusing the system and I don't mind little bit of marketing here.

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
this isn't the biggest modding community (unless we have MILLIONS of silent members ) so you normally only get a couple of new addons every few days. Because of this i don't think pushing updated mods to the top of the list is really displacing anyone.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What I do is I update the date when the update is big enough to get attention. I mean by that if the update is only small bug corrections but nothing really new, the date stays there. But, if the addon is updated with new features, I will update the date of the addon, as it will make the users notice that something has changed.