Donator
Donator
Reaction score

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've given it a try before, but adjusting your trajectory to pass through the atmosphere of a moon orbiting a gas giant would require quite a delta-v budget unless you really think ahead.

I'm still waiting for someone to successfully aerobrake on Io. :lol:

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Actually this isn't that difficult. All you need to do is use Aerobrake MFD to plan Titan for Aerobraking, and make sure you final eccentricity after aerobraking is just above 1. This should put you into orbit around saturn with a semi-major axis similar to Titan's. Depending on where in Titan's orbit you make the aerobrake, will give you different properties of your final orbit around Saturn.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually this isn't that difficult. All you need to do is use Aerobrake MFD to plan Titan for Aerobraking, and make sure you final eccentricity after aerobraking is just above 1. This should put you into orbit around saturn with a semi-major axis similar to Titan's. Depending on where in Titan's orbit you make the aerobrake, will give you different properties of your final orbit around Saturn.
For me the problems come when I am planning my planet approach in IMFD. I set Titan as my target, but obviously it revolves around Saturn, so the delta-v required to adjust my path constantly increases as Titan moves.

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Have you tried using TransX?

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Have you tried using TransX?
Yes but I haven't used it in a while. Does it take into account where Titan will be upon arrival as opposed to "real time"? (ie where Titan is right now)

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Yes but I haven't used it in a while. Does it take into account where Titan will be upon arrival as opposed to "real time"? (ie where Titan is right now)

Yes it does. However, the farther out you are, the less accurate it is, although I find with the gas giants it does a better job, and is more accurate. It is least accurate with Earth, and other bodies with relatively large moons/companions (like Pluto, 90 Antiope, etc.). With Saturn and Titan, you should be more then fine, just make sure you do a few correction burns along the way.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes it does. However, the farther out you are, the less accurate it is, although I find with the gas giants it does a better job, and is more accurate. It is least accurate with Earth, and other bodies with relatively large moons/companions (like Pluto, 90 Antiope, etc.). With Saturn and Titan, you should be more then fine, just make sure you do a few correction burns along the way.
Thanks for the help. :)