News Air Asia flight QZ8501 missing

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You're right Urwumpe but Airbus has changed things as I think dual input has more priority is certain circumstances, certainly it isn't heard once during AF-447's stall.

Yeah. But the visual indication also exists, so it really is no great moment if you miss it.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is the Airbus inherently stable i.e. if power and trim are set and controls are neutral, can the Airbus eventually recover level flight without input, even if it stalls completely?

I've posted this in the AF447 thread:

BPcilNo.png

ETA: The important part here is that you will only get the stall warning in Alt law -- in Normal law, the plane will just increase throttles for you without complaining.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Reports here state a 95% chance that the found debris is of QZ8501, including information that six corpses have been found and three recovered.

The debris seems to be an aircraft door and parts of the cargo deck of an A32x aircraft.

steph

Reaction score
So another case of "aircraft flies into big cumulonimbus, gets ripped apart"?
I'm getting a bit intrigued by this weather vs civil aviation subject. How much do airplane radars see? Aren't the pilots trained to avoid storms if at all possible?
With Cbs as high as they get in the equatorial region, overflying them should have been a no-no for most aircraft. And ending up in the upper region of a storm cloud and close to the service ceiling must be nasty.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, thats a bit much to answer, so in small chops:

So another case of "aircraft flies into big cumulonimbus, gets ripped apart"?

Maybe. Possibly not.

How much do airplane radars see?

That file should be a very good resource there for you to get an idea:

http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/med...ems/AirbusSafetyLib_-FLT_OPS-ADV_WX-SEQ07.pdf

Especially note the tiny detail, that applies to any modern weather radar despite all technological advances: Shapes tell you more than colors.

Aren't the pilots trained to avoid storms if at all possible?

Usually, its OK to assume that you can fly over the storms, if you are in cruise altitude. But that does not apply to tropical thunderstorms, which can reach 50% higher than thunderstorms in higher latitudes.

With Cbs as high as they get in the equatorial region, overflying them should have been a no-no for most aircraft. And ending up in the upper region of a storm cloud and close to the service ceiling must be nasty.

The problem is: You have not just one thunderstorm. You have many. And as the file above describes well: The black calm behind the storm can easily be another huge thunderstorm hiding in the shadow. You can't just navigate around them easily. You often have to fly right through them because you have no better path that you know with certainty.

And then, you also have to include the characteristics of large Cb clouds - a clear notch in the cloud can really mean free air. Or the most turbulent place filled with ice you have ever seen. As the article by Airbus already explains: Ice has a lower reflectivity as rain: It would appear with less red colors than actually safer regions.

But in this case, you still should remember: Many more planes flew through that region without problems. And the plane was constantly flying much slower than it usually should have been flying. Its thus pretty much possible that the accident is way more complex and technical than just "aircraft flies into big cumulonimbus, gets ripped apart".

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The news last night was saying that they requested permission to ascend out of the clouds but were denied permission due to other traffic. So they may well have wanted to avoid it but there was no option.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Well, that doesn't seem like a good reason to me.

"Hey, we can't fly into a huge thunderstorm, can we go up a few flight levels?"

"Nope."

"Alright, thanks. We'll keep on flying into the thunderstorm then even though us requesting a higher flight level basically just confirmed that we don't think we should do that."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The news last night was saying that they requested permission to ascend out of the clouds but were denied permission due to other traffic. So they may well have wanted to avoid it but there was no option.

They were allowed to turn left though.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
They were allowed to turn left though.
I didn't know that. Indeed, they apparently were allowed to turn left and may have started to do so but it seems there was a very short period of time between communication with ATC and the incident. Hmm...

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes it appears that the turn was related to the crash.

Im increasingly suspecting that Airbus pilots have learned to rely on alpha protection to automatically increase thrust during maneuvers. That works until pitots freeze and the plane drops to alt law... The a/c stalls, and they cant recover because they have never seen this situation before...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Im increasingly suspecting that Airbus pilots have learned to rely on alpha protection to automatically increase thrust during maneuvers. That works until pitots freeze and the plane drops to alt law... The a/c stalls, and they cant recover because they have never seen this situation before...

If you are a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail. :facepalm:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Wreckage and human remains have been found.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/30/world/asia/airasia-missing-plane/

Looks like it went down in a fairly shallow region of ocean, so hopefully that will make the investigation easier. Sad day for a lot of people.

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Another AsiaAir jet went off the end of the runway at Kalibo airport, no word of injuries, but the plane is upright on its gear.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
the waters in the area sits on top of a continental shelf if I remember my geography lessons in HS correctly, so it should be shallow and searches and evacuation can be done in relative ease. It is sad to see that there probably no soul who survived the accident, and then news broke in that the same carrier have a mishap in landing on an airport just now, this turns into an Annus Horribilis of south east asian air travels indeed.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
the waters in the area sits on top of a continental shelf if I remember my geography lessons in HS correctly, so it should be shallow and searches and evacuation can be done in relative ease. It is sad to see that there probably no soul who survived the accident, and then news broke in that the same carrier have a mishap in landing on an airport just now, this turns into an Annus Horribilis of south east asian air travels indeed.

Relative ease - the currents could be a problem in that region.

MattBaker

Reaction score
The sea levels during the last glacial maximum seem to confirm that, everything between Java and Borneo doesn't seem to be deeper than a hundred meters or so.

CLIMAP.jpg

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Yes it appears that the turn was related to the crash.

It is still way too early to come to any conclusions in this case, nether the CVR or FDR have been recovered or analysed.

All we actually know is that the Airbus A320-216 registration PK-AXC stopped flying sometime after 23:12 UTC (last communication) and before 23:16 UTC (last radar contact).

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It is still way too early to come to any conclusions in this case, nether the CVR or FDR have been recovered or analysed.

All we actually know is that the Airbus A320-216 registration PK-AXC stopped flying sometime after 23:12 UTC (last communication) and before 23:16 UTC (last radar contact).

True enough but as nosy people, we speculate. It's in our nature.

It looks like the wreckage has been found.

Indonesian officials have confirmed that bodies and debris found in the Java Sea off Borneo are from AirAsia flight QZ8501 that went missing on Sunday, a statement by AirAsia says.

AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes said he was "devastated" by the news.

President Joko Widodo told media he had instructed all search teams to focus on finding the passengers and crew.

The Airbus A320-200, carrying 162 people from Surabaya in Indonesia to Singapore, disappeared on Sunday.

The head of Indonesia's search operation, Bambang Soelistyo, says three bodies have been retrieved, not 40 as previously stated by naval officials.

source and more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30634081

E

ex-orbinaut

Sorry, can't help noticing on that map in the source above that the debris was found south of the "last reported position". Don't know how accurate that BBC map is regarding the positions, but take a look at the currents in the Java Sea at the moment. More likely debris would have drifted north, I think. Whether this hints at anything or not is not for me to ponder.

As for icing again, well yeah, granted, but allow me to just say there are at least a couple more dangers involved with flying near and through storms, one (lightning), which is slightly more mitigated by design than the potential effects other (severe convective currents).

I have speculated enough with that, for my part, and I would not dare say I have any idea at all what might have happened...

RIP, to all those people, it is very sad.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
More likely debris would have drifted north, I think.

South - most of the currents go south there, only few places at the eastern shores of the Java Sea have northern currents.