garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Mains are tied to the turbo thrusters, correct? If so, I can't recall in the show ever seeing the guns fire (or even deployed) while the thrusters were being fired.

Just my :2cents:

I suspect that if the Airwolf were real, flying at Mach 2 with the guns deployed wouldn't be a good idea as there would be drag, the guns probably wouldn't handle the air flow and as bullets do about mach 1 it would be possible for airwolf to shoot itself down by running over it's own bullets. :lol:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Will it have an MFD that upon detecting a vessel cycles rapidly through metric übertons of wireframe schematics until it locks upon the correct one? That would be awesome.:thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Such a MFD could be made generic for Orbiter. Would just require some processing time to generate a wireframe for new vessels, since the meshes are usually a bit too detailed to be displayed in a MFD.

"Escape from New York"-like night vision would also be possible in Orbiter. :lol:

Escape_From_New_York_Wireframe.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like the gun addition is good. What about the flares? Maybe the same but bigger? They would exit from the rear if the hatch was open. I think there is a beta of Orbiter combat. It might be interesting to add a Falcon or Maverick to be launch.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, the missiles the series launched had been way smaller and simpler than the Mavericks really had been... what about using a simple tube launched guided missile there? Maybe like a Javelin missile, which is fire-and-forget. (And does do most of the stunts, that the missiles in the series did)

1024px-Army-fgm148.jpg

Selecting targets via MFD would be a bit harder (communication with vessel), the simplest solution would be HUD + a specialized FCS display in the cockpit. (And maybe four key bindings for moving a cursor, unless you want to simply click on the FCS display)

The flares would need to be launched from a place near the exhaust of the engines and then away from the exhaust for maximum effect (otherwise even stupid missiles would not follow the flare) - Also waiting for the hatch to open isn't really fun if a shoulder launched missile will hit you 3 seconds after it was launched.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well if someone wants to code that then more power to them. I know I have a gun turret that launched a bullet and flew forward and was deleted when fuel ran out. Might could do the same but use a missile mesh. But I couldn't get it to work on the airwolf.

On the flares. Remember the whole idea is concealment. So the flare pod would be hidden and only opened when needed.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
On the flares. Remember the whole idea is concealment. So the flare pod would be hidden and only opened when needed.

Still better options around than hiding them in the rear hatch. Also the Airwolf was not really concealed, the jet engines would have been pretty easy to spot with a closer look. It is just not obvious at first sight or from afar.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yes. but it is covered. Someone told me to watch the show to see how things worked. I watched the intro and saw the countermeasures showing out of the side. So I guess the hatch opens and the launcher springs out.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
yes. but it is covered. Someone told me to watch the show to see how things worked. I watched the intro and saw the countermeasures showing out of the side. So I guess the hatch opens and the launcher springs out.

I remember from my youth, that the hatch with the countermeasure modules springs out to the side and fires the CM in an angle backwards and away from the Airwolf. Not different to some real aircraft, BTW.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I suspect that if the Airwolf were real, flying at Mach 2 with the guns deployed wouldn't be a good idea as there would be drag, the guns probably wouldn't handle the airwolf and as bullets do about mach 1 it would be possible for airwolf to shoot itself down by running over it's own bullets. :lol:

Only if it were able to fire the bullets at just under Mach 1, then catch up to it at just the right angle and acceleration such that the bullet traveled down the refueling nozzle (located on the starboard side of the nose) carrying enough speed to ignite the fuel in the tanks. She was impervious to bullets; the refueling nozzle was the only known weak point "The Old Lady" had.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is wht my airwolf defense launcher looks like.
AIRWOLFDEFENSE_zps1ab4cab6.jpg

I need to match the angle of the hatch. But should it do something?

On the missiles underneath. Not sure about that. The code I was looking at created a vessel bullet that basically followed your path. So I guess if at where the missile tubes are make an attachment point. Make a code to create a vessel missile and then on a key dettach. When the missile vessel is created the thrust is at full.

Not sure about the code part so a sample would be GREAT.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not sure about the code part so a sample would be GREAT.

Not sure if I included source-code in my AGM-65 Maverick add-on. But it already used an attachment for being transported.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This:http://www.orbithangar.com/zipList.php?ID=941

If yes. the code is included. So maybe just a attachment point.

To add a Maverick as payload add a line like:

PAYLOAD 'name' AGM65G AGM65G 'X' 'Y' 'Z' 301 0 1

to your cvel vessel.

if the missile gets created anywhere above 0.5m altitude, the missile automatically activates,
arms and ignites.
if you create it below 0.5m altitude, the missile removes itself from the sim.

But it looks like it is a payload. And it looks like if the airwolf rises above .5 the missile will ignite.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No, that was for the old CVEL interface, since a CVEL vessel (DG Interceptor) was the first test vehicle for that old one.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok. That was the only Maverick

I found this:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3324"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3324[/ame]

I think the missile mesh might be too big? To fit in the rocket pod

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire